Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
FoxURA
Forum hobbit

Default ESA Question

I was pretty surprised when I heard about Lucas Arts, Vivendi, and Acclaim leaving the ESA. So just what does that mean exactly and what kind of criteria will be used to reassess their old games?

Aside from being curious a big reason that I want to know about this is because over a year ago I put in a request for a game called Starfleet Command 3 but since it was made in part by Acclaim it was protected under the ESA. The game has been out for 6 years now, Taldren, the developer, no longer exists, and the contract between Acclaim and Paramount regarding StarTrek no longer exists if I remember right.

So what would does Acclaim leaving the ESA mean for games like SFCIII? Does that mean that a whole host of games that were in a similar situation are now up for consideration again?
FoxURA is offline                         Send a private message to FoxURA
Old 22-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

It means that now it's becoming a real minefield for AW sites, protected or not?

All depends of who holds the rights to a game.
And it's not because a game isn't sold or supported anymore it automatically becomes totally abandoned.
There still is someting called copyrights.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The ESA as they adhere to us is essentially just a group that watches out for gaming companies' when it comes to the copyrights of their games and assets.

It's difficult for a gaming company to control everything they need to and still take care of problems such as illegal downloading, plagiarism, or infringement on their copyrights on the side.
Therefore, they join the ESA who will take care of these things amongst other functions.
The ESA also protects some older defunct companies who no longer operate but who's members still wish to have their games a part of the company.

We have games such as Re-Volt which is an Acclaim game, I believe Turok is as well. If Starfleet Command 3's publisher isn't in operation anymore, then I see no problem with it, if the game isn't too new then it should most certainly be allowed on the site.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 22-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
chainsoar
Master Debater

ESA rules are a killer. Things like this happen and you think "Oh, cool, so I can download that for free now then" but that may not be the case. It's similiar to the issues faced by ROM gamers with most of the games they download. The phrase "legal grey area" doesn't even begin to describe abandonware laws.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 23-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Does that mean that a whole host of games that were in a similar situation are now up for consideration again?
Up for consideration, yes.

Quote:
So just what does that mean exactly and what kind of criteria will be used to reassess their old games?
LucasArts: Still haven't heard back from Kosta about my questions regarding the previous attempt to contact them. So for now, until we get in contact with them and obtain specific permissions to host some of their games, they are still under semi-unlimited protection like a few other companies (eg Bethesda).

All others: Same criteria will be used as for assessment of non-ESA-protected titles.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
FoxURA
Forum hobbit

Thanks for clearing things up a bit.

*cough* Starfleet Command III *cough*

Please?
FoxURA is offline                         Send a private message to FoxURA