Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #101
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK, never ran into this before - it's a terrible mistake, almost ridicilouslly funny.

My expedition (in 266BC) just found Noa's Ark at mount Ararat and I was promoted for it. Rome wouldn't care about such a thing at thos point in history (so it's been at least 6 centuries too early for it).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #102
aquila
Lurker

Smile Emperor level, need some tips please

Haha I have just finished this game on emperor level, but it's so difficult, had to reload xxx times, and some of the battles are very difficult to win in one go. For example, carthage i beat right at the end of the game with a consular army and scipio africanus, but only had one horse and one cohort left, both in a weak state of mind. And some other battles are a nightmare like parthia or scythia unless the enemy leader marches in front and you can kill him quickly.

Not to mention the randomness of sea battles, you attack a fleet and it says says 50 ships, then load the game, attack it again and now it says 135 or something. Strange or ???

And also the roaming hordes of barbarians, they attack anywhere, anytime, and it's really hard to keep every conquered province, I managed to do it, but only after numerous reloads.

And also I don't get the naval battles, what's the point of galleys, I only ever used fleets of 100-200 triremes, and even so, the naval battles were random most of the time, for example how many ships you kill as opposed to how many you lose.

Also what's very difficult is the farther out east you move, the more wimpy the provinces are, and it's difficult to replenish consular armies. At the end, I had 2 active consular armies, one led by Scipio Africanus (I Ital) and the second (I Dac) was led by Cornelius Scipio. I had a third consular army defending rome I think, but maybe it died? (led by Marius).

Also I used a kind of a trick, my second and third consular armies had crap leaders, so I attacked barbarian tribes and killed my leaders until I randomed the other two good ones, cornelius scipio and marius. It's a bit sly I know, but consular armies really are pointless if you don't have a good leader to command them, because they are so huge, the units just get in the way of each other.

And not to mention at the beginning I milked the gambling for chariot racing big time, it got boring after a while, but it's the only way to make money if you're not plundering, and waiting for taxes is too slow. And when Rome wanted games, I used a 10 talent gladiator vs a 10 talent big cat, and low blocked until max happiness, then low swiped, it's so cheap for 20 talents, again a bit of an exploit but what the hell, it's there so use it.

All in all, it's a great game, but EXTREMELY difficult on emperor mode, even with reloads, and without reloads, I don't even want to think about it. My end stats were 14 provinces negotiated through alliance, 31 battles won, 4 lost, 81410 legionnaires killed, 96087 enemy soldiers killed, won 11 fleet battles, lost 5 fleet battles, lost 541 ships, sunk 671 enemy ships. Sponsored 33 games, entered 10 races and won 10. Collected 10152 in tributes, of which 1866 in bets, 0 plundered. Whew!

As you can see from my stats, it is obvious I reloaded a lot, and also I still haven't really got the hang of naval battles, the point of triremes and galleys, and also the point of having troops on board when engaging another enemy fleet etc.

But anyway, the first time I played this game I finished it on galley slave, and now emperor level with xxx reloads, I think I will next try legionnaire level without reloads, gonna be tough, but at least the land battles will be easier.

P.S. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I could improve my game on emperor level, please feel free to reply to this. Thanks.
aquila is offline                         Send a private message to aquila
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #103
Picollo
Abandonia nerd

awesome game. are there any similar games?
Picollo is offline                         Send a private message to Picollo
Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #104
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Kingdom at War is listed as similar. Which features do you like to have?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #105
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

Lords of the Realm is very similar also.
Old 14-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #106
angry axe
O for Awesome

lol this plays alot like legion (or does legion play like it? :weird: )
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 15-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #107

So my hint is:
for the chariot race to place all your money(I think the limit you can bet is 100) and start the race...when you start(without hitting the other chariots) move to the right side of the screen as right as possible),then RUSH xD your chariot won't crush,and the others won't hit you after you win a few the bets will bring you no bonus,just enter a race(don't bet anything) and crash,it will reset the "bonuses" for bets

Old 17-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #108
gumpy
Game freak

This game is very DOTC like, but of course it is, because it was made by the designer of DOTC after Cinemware folded. Graphics by Jim Sachs too!
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 27-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #109
Default "refining" your soldiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post

P.S. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I could improve my game on emperor level, please feel free to reply to this. Thanks.
There's a trick to refine your coward soldiers. Raise a legion in a land with panicky or weak couraged nation than move it into a land with fierce people and sea coast. Build a fleet with only one trireme than move your bad legion onto it. The game will prompt that most of the soldiers will remain on land because they will not fit into the ship.
And that's it! They will meld with the original population and become fierce.
This way you can fill up the fierce countries wih people where you can strenghten your other legions after it. Beware of adding more people to the population than the country's maximum capacity because the extra people will disappeare. Italy may be the best choice with its max. capacity of 7000 people or more.(Sorry I can't remember exactly.)
Have fun!

Old 29-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #110
another__guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
... Italy may be the best choice with its max. capacity of 7000 people or more.(Sorry I can't remember exactly.)
Have fun!
Not sure about the limit in Italy (6600?)

In any case Gaul can go up to 7000, and if memory serves me well, Germania's limit is 8000. And of course both are fierce. Then again, can you load troops to a transport out of Germania, not sure anymore?

Your point brings back an old discussion: if you leave a fierce country at its maximum population, the population will not grow so it's actually better to immediately use some of the inhabitants to reinforce or raise your armies. On the other hand, this probably costs you tax money...