Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #21
SCREW AOE

I really hated this game; I gave it a good solid try before abandoning it in frustration, but I just didn't like it . The key problem with it is this:

After playing for a while, you will inevitably encounter a 'mission' wherein you have to beat comically ridiculous odds in order to have your character survive. You can't temporarily quit, so you have to play the same impossible mission over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over,and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and so on. Inevitably you grow tired of this and quit, at which point the 'character' that you've worked on dies or is captured.

So if you like playing the type of game where you are forced to repeat a 'level' ad naseum before you're allowed to progress, dig in.

So, if one of the people involved in the making of this game ever reads this, be it years from now, please punch yourself in the face.

Old 14-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #22
Artiglio

When you face such a mission, you can just push esc a few seconds after it starts. and ask to quit .
It will tell you it is dangerous, but will let you land anyway.

I must say in my experience there are no "impossible" missions, if you accept the possibility of just running away instead of fighting.
In these instances, I see the, let's say, 12 enemies, make it for home, inevitably get reached by a couple, fight them and IF I shoot them down I can land peacefully...

I also have a personal rule : if I get shot down without having drawn blood, I.E. without having shot down at least one myself, I repeat the mission.
Otherwise, I accept the result and face the consequences.
One pilot out of twenty makes it through a campaign, with these rules.
Ah, flying anything different from a fighter is certain death.

Old 24-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #23
Jeremiah

Hey I have a problem. I am trying to run AOE in DOSBox 0.61 and when I start the game it goes through a part of the intro and then just seems to freez up. And dosbox stops responding. I am runing Windows XP on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 512 mb of ram. Anyone have any suggetions? Thanks in advance.

Old 27-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #24
Thomas

Jeremiah: You just have to increase the framerate to around 10.000-12.000

Old 27-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #25
Thomas

To the person who is having trouble with repeating difficult missions: You can also just backup your career after each successful mission - that way you can "bail out" without penalty when encountering a mission that is too difficult. Then you just restore your backed up career and click fly next mission (I think it will be another mission then but it has been a while since I have played the game)

Old 02-05-2005, 06:42 AM   #26
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Wow GREAT quick reference card. You can really learn how to do views from inside and outside of the plane.... And it's all written in 2 pages that are completelly the same. So if you overlook something on first page you can still learn it on the other page. :not_ok:

Now, how about some reference card with action keys??? :help:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #27
Tigershark

I have a rather frustrating problem with this one. My joystick is calibrated in the "control panel"in windows, I calibrated it in the preferences menu in the game and its fine in there, but when I fly a mission, it acts as if my joystick is pulled allthe way to the left. Whenever I try to take off, I turn too fast once I get an inkling of speed and crash.

Old 18-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #28
burto

When using DosBox.61 the only way I can get the program to run is to type in the command line from the AOE shortcut(gcdjoy). After it launches the screen is very small and I was wondering if there is anyway to maximize the DosBox window. Also when using the shortcut command line, the game won't let me use a joystick. Can someone help me? Thanks!

Old 08-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #29
Enthar

Hello,

Maybe I'm just being stupit but I just don't seem to get this game (and many more on abandonia) started. I'm running WINxp...When I downloaded the game(s) and unzip it I get the icons to doubble click to start the game, my screen turns black for about a second and then it turns back to the winscreen with all the icons...
Is there a sollution to this problem?

thanks...

Old 08-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #30
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Those games are probably just not meant to be run in WinXP. Have you tried using DOSBox as recommended in the review?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles