Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

I formatted my whole Laptop and replaced XP with the Ubuntu Linux distribution. So far I like it (besides having problems with the whole WLAN-support-thingy).

Now I wanted to know: Where can I get some decent themes for it?
Would be nice if anyone can help me here, I did some google browsing but wasn't really able to find anything.

Oh, and I was unsure about the forum where to post this, I hope this one is right enough
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
plix
Game freak

There's no such thing as a "Ubuntu theme." You want one (or more) of: GTK+ theme, bash command prompt configuration, KDE theme, GNOME theme, fluxbox/blackbox/etc theme, Xfce theme, ....

Ubuntu by default uses GNOME (which, in turn, is based on GTK). As such -- and assuming that you are, in fact, using GNOME -- I'd suggest googling around for those. art.gnome.org and freshmeat.net (themes.org was rolled into fm a few years ago) are both decent starting points.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

That was like the information I was looking for, thanks.

Oh, and I do know there are no specific ubuntu themes, I just didn't know what I have to look for exactly. May I should've asked for Ubuntu compatible themes.

I am pretty new to Linux in common, and I want to learn as much of it as possible, which is like the main reason I installed it.

Thanks for the information
Old 10-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

hello!
I am also a ubuntu user. Do you know what is the way to install something in ubuntu?
like suppose I download a file called Winamp for Linux from here:-

http://www.filepedia.com/alternative_platf...p_for_linux.cfm

Now how I can install it ? In which folder I will have to put it so that its installation manager Synaptic can install it or if there is any way to install the application manually, please tell me!

thanx
Old 10-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

I'm not entirely sure, I'm still trying to figure out how to install third-party tools without the Synaptic apt-get thingy, but try this:

1. First, oben this Application thingy and switch to advanced mode.
2. Search for package called "alien" and install it
3. Open the terminal go into the folder where the rpm lies and convert it with alien (type just "alien" in the console to get the right syntax for this, I'm at the wrong computer right now)
4. You now should've a *.deb file with the same name. Type "dpkg -i <filename>.deb" to install it.
5. All done now, type "winamp" (I guess) in the console and it should start.

Hope it works, I will try it myself, as soon as I get back from school.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You really should stick to adding applications using Synaptic (or Aptitude or apt-get). If you can't find a program you need, try adding other repositories to your Synaptic. By default the Universe and Multiverse repositories are turned off because they're not officially supported by Canonical.
Turn them on and you'll find most software in Synaptic. That way you don't have to figure out paths and ini files, and removing is easy as well k:

Read everything you need to know about Ubuntu: in the (un)official Ubuntu guide!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 10-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by vipin@Feb 10 2006, 01:34 AM
I download a file called Winamp for Linux from here:-
Don't bother with winamp for linux -- it's easily 6 years old and there was a single technology preview release. There are much, much better players for linux such as XMMS. Use something which is at least maintained.

Also, "installing software" is a pretty vague term. Winamp, for example, comes precompiled. I'd bet you could probably just untar it and run the executable without having to do anything more, but most software is distributed as source and until you understand things a bit better I'd suggest staying away from the configure -> make -> make install process.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by plix@Feb 10 2006, 04:21 PM
..., but most software is distributed as source and until you understand things a bit better I'd suggest staying away from the configure -> make -> make install process.
So far, this is what gives me the most problems with Linux. I can't get a single program compiled and I don't even know why

Oh, well, but if I use Linux a year or two, I'll learn it sooner or later.

@vipin: Use XMMS, it's pretty much exactly like WinAmp.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Most Linux programs that need compiling are made in C / C++, to compile programs you need binutils, gcc and g++.

Once you have downloaded and extracted what you want to install go in to the folder and type "./configure" once that is done (without errors) type "make" (Note: you need to be root) once that is complete type "make install" then you done
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by chickenman@Feb 11 2006, 05:29 PM
Most Linux programs that need compiling are made in C / C++, to compile programs you need binutils, gcc and g++.
Helps to have GNU make, too.

However, that explanation is so basic that it'd be better to just stick with the distro's package tool (notwithstanding the fact that it's only true of auto-tooled source packages). The true power of the configure->make->make install processes (and source-based distribution of software in general) is in the ability to dynamically reconfigure or alter the program yourself, something which is not for the faint of heart. It's a very, very bad idea to just run the provided configure script without options unless you actually know what everything is defaulting to (because it's different from package to package).