Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #1101
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Gosh I didn't know you still play X-Com series...I beat them (2) a long, long time ago, still have them and will re-start soon as I install.

I believe all MPS games were great, pity they too packed up, even before Sierra.
In my opinion Civilization was (IS) the greatest strategy game ever and a precurser of all others: followed by MS's AOE and AOM series; didn't much like Sierra's EE! But the that's new topic, if it's not already there I'll start it k:
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 28-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #1102
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yes, and as you can see they are quite popular here. Myself I have yet to finish TFTD - and return to Apocalypse.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #1103
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Dad@Apr 28 2005, 10:23 AM
Gosh I didn't know you still play X-Com series...I beat them (2) a long, long time ago, still have them and will re-start soon as I install.

I believe all MPS games were great, pity they too packed up, even before Sierra.
In my opinion Civilization was (IS) the greatest strategy game ever and a precurser of all others: followed by MS's AOE and AOM series; didn't much like Sierra's EE! But the that's new topic, if it's not already there I'll start it k:
Well XCOM is almost a tough game rather than a complicated or hard game. You are mainly faced with many aliens and killing them took very much time and caution. I have to say that killing them is always fun but not more than that. CIV and MOO are really complicated and they are much more attractive too. I still remeber playing CIV for months. By the way what are AOE and AOM series?
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 28-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #1104
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Age Of Empires, Age Of Mythology (not sure about that second one).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #1105
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Dad@Apr 28 2005, 10:23 AM

You mentioned good games like MOO, Civ, and AOE, but have you tried Master of Magic? If they updated the graphics/sound, fixed the bugs, and kept everything else the same, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd pre-order it if they made it multiplayer.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 28-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #1106
admanb

There's a patch here that fixes a lot of crash problems as well as some other stuff. It works with this version of the game.
admanb is offline                         Send a private message to admanb
Old 29-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #1107
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

If the ship is too large or dangerous or your team is still recovering, try to shoot it down over sea.

Any UFO downed over sea just sinks and disappears.

Also, night missions are unneccessary (unless terror zone). Just hover near the crash site with your troop ship untill day dawns.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 29-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #1108
Jman4117
Game freak

You can avoid night terror sites too. Just be sure you have a ship targeting it at the end of each hour. You can prolong the wait for days if you like. :P
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 29-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #1109
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Or alternatively just land with flares...

Also, you should NEVER just shoot something down over the sea, even a Terror Ship. Try to land it, because if you just blow it up you have wasted a lot of time. If you even just land at a UFO site for a single turn then you will get a lot of points. Even better, if you start killing the aliens (even by luck) then you should start raking in the points.

By the way, a quick question - Does anyone know if leaders are present at a terror site?

I also discovered yesterday (although some may know this) that floaters have medics too. I stunned a floater and hoped for a Techician or preferably Navigator, but it turned out to be a medic!
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 29-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #1110
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Apr 29 2005, 11:15 AM
Also, you should NEVER just shoot something down over the sea, even a Terror Ship. Try to land it, because if you just blow it up you have wasted a lot of time. If you even just land at a UFO site for a single turn then you will get a lot of points. Even better, if you start killing the aliens (even by luck) then you should start raking in the points.
I'm not sure whether it's also true for terror ships, but I certainly get 500 points for downing very large alien retaliation ufos over the sea. I only do this for this particular ufo type, as letting my bases' defenses shoot it won't give me any points at all.
Smal and medium sized ufos don't yield any significant points, or at least not enough to show on the graphs.

I seem to remember there is at least one alien leader present at terror ships, so I think there should also be one or more at terror sites. Though I've never had more than 1 terror site since I started playing again, now I just down intercept any terror ship before it reaches its destination.