Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
jg007
Super Freak

the backwards compatabilty mode is only really of use for buisiness from the sound of it which is a little disapointing but having said that I have not yet had problems running any old stuff and if I did a VM / Dosbox would not really be that hard.

b4 people say that VM's dont do everything so far I ghave found that they have enough support for older W98 games like ' populous the beginning ' and even the sound works fine.
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 13-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #22
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
... I'm afraid you lost me. In Vista, if you rename a file WITH the extension visible, it will only select the name itself, not the extension. In the huge amount of renames, I only want to rename the name itself so this is a good thing. In XP, it selected the WHOLE name which was annoying since it meant I had to manually select the name itself without the extension.
So what if you want to change the extension? >_<

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 13-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #23
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
So what if you want to change the extension? >_<
In that case, it's a simple CTRL-A to select the entire name. Heck, if you want to do bulk renames, just use a free piece of software that does it. Besides, it's a lot faster than trying to select just the name. I can't count the times I accidentally renamed a file AND selected the dot by mistake and ended up with a file called picturejpg instead of picture.jpg. Give it up - Vista's system is better.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 13-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #24
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I never had vista or worked with it. but i know from various threads in various forums that Vista had a bigg issue with older programes written either for Win98 or XP (such as for example games). It also had issues with new programes like some antivirus and firewalls.

as for explorer... heh, haven't used that one in a while...

Still the minute i heard that WIn7 will have a backwards compatibility mode i knew the system will likely be more successful than Vista.
You're really not making much sense here.

For starters, Win7 supports the SAME software as Vista because it IS essentially Vista. The compatibility mode was meant to imply this. It won't suddenly run 16 bit software because that's simply not possible.

Also, please don't make posts based on "what you heard", especially when what you heard if either wrong or inaccurate. For an OS that moved to 64 bit and that has major changes compared to XP, it's quite amazing how 95% of all previous software still works.

What doesn't work? Software that uses specific functions of XP i.e. older versions of Daemon Tools, Anti Virus scans, etc. Well duh. It's a new OS - what do you expect?

What DOES work: just about every game released after 1997 that isn't 16 bit (64 bit only then). Since I installed Vista two years ago, I have tested over 400 games and of those 400, only 5-10 didn't work for me:

- Fahrenheit: the setup tries to detect DX9 but since Vista uses DX10, it fails. The fault lies with a badly written setup program. Solution: download the American version (Indigo Prophecy) or buy it on Steam

- Beyond Good & Evil: Tages doesn't have compatible 64 bit drivers yet. Fault lies with Tages, the copy protection. Solution: buy on Steam or any other digital copy without Tages

- Black Moon Chronicles: doesn't work in Windows XP either so I'll let this one off the hook.

- Silent Storm: I forgot what caused it but it worked for some people and not for others. Apparently this is a problem with video card drivers so again, not Vista itself.

So as you can see, most games that don't work, don't because they rely on things besides Vista itself. Copy protection drivers are the main reason - Tages and Starforce both run into trouble with older games but really, I think only a fool would complaing about poor compatibility considering ...

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 13-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #25
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Linux for the win.
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 13-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #26
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
Linux for the win.
Except Linux sucks for games . Windows' main advantage is its software base and people can complain all they want, but no OS out there has such a good support for games as Windows.

Old 13-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #27
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
You're really not making much sense here.

For starters, Win7 supports the SAME software as Vista because it IS essentially Vista. The compatibility mode was meant to imply this. It won't suddenly run 16 bit software because that's simply not possible.

Also, please don't make posts based on "what you heard", especially when what you heard if either wrong or inaccurate. For an OS that moved to 64 bit and that has major changes compared to XP, it's quite amazing how 95% of all previous software still works.

What doesn't work? Software that uses specific functions of XP i.e. older versions of Daemon Tools, Anti Virus scans, etc. Well duh. It's a new OS - what do you expect?

What DOES work: just about every game released after 1997 that isn't 16 bit (64 bit only then). Since I installed Vista two years ago, I have tested over 400 games and of those 400, only 5-10 didn't work for me:

- Fahrenheit: the setup tries to detect DX9 but since Vista uses DX10, it fails. The fault lies with a badly written setup program. Solution: download the American version (Indigo Prophecy) or buy it on Steam

- Beyond Good & Evil: Tages doesn't have compatible 64 bit drivers yet. Fault lies with Tages, the copy protection. Solution: buy on Steam or any other digital copy without Tages

- Black Moon Chronicles: doesn't work in Windows XP either so I'll let this one off the hook.

- Silent Storm: I forgot what caused it but it worked for some people and not for others. Apparently this is a problem with video card drivers so again, not Vista itself.

So as you can see, most games that don't work, don't because they rely on things besides Vista itself. Copy protection drivers are the main reason - Tages and Starforce both run into trouble with older games but really, I think only a fool would complaing about poor compatibility considering ...
You do realise that any game made for Windows 95 onward is 32-bit, right? Good. Now then - Windows 7 compatibility mode works for XP and some earlier programs that won't work natively. Chances are they'll have fairly good (although non 16-bit) backwards compatibility in the final version.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 13-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
You do realise that any game made for Windows 95 onward is 32-bit, right? Good. Now then - Windows 7 compatibility mode works for XP and some earlier programs that won't work natively. Chances are they'll have fairly good (although non 16-bit) backwards compatibility in the final version.
The same as Vista then like I said.

And no, not all Windows 95 games are 32 bit. Just like not all Windows 3.1 games were 16 bit. And even games that were 32 bit often used 16 bit installers which won't work in Vista 64 bit meaning you can't install them. I used a virtual machine for this. It often meant having to copy registry entries over but at least they work like that. Luckily, these games are a minority - in reality, very few Windows games won't work in Vista. Most "problem cases" can be fixed.