Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #231
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Keep raiding Diablo. If their networth is negative, they won't be able to fund a retaliation strike against you.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #232
Lt. Razak
Forum hobbit

Pounding into submission sounds good. Very good, in fact... me-wanna-have-piece-too *cry*

Anyway: I've always been suspect of equipment that has the chance that you can divert enemy projectiles. Chances are that your computer doesn't like you and, by pure chance the deflection of enemy weapons never works. Pure [/i]chance ... :ranting:

Still, this is my experience with cloaks on ships:
First impression: Brilliant, my smegging fleet doesn't hit the enemy AT ALL until the close combat stage begins. As a result, the city takes quite a beating but hey, who cares. I'm rich, I'm fat, I'm a smegging bastard and don't care about some weird government.
So I make all efforts to capture one of these magic devices and huzah! soon enough, a Transtellar transport lifts of and transfers a prototype to my main research base (Note that the Transtellar Mogul had a big smile on his face.. a smegging expensive smile as I have to keep bribing those chaps).
Next my sciencetists (overall skill 994) bash their heads against that cloak for a couple of days. The result, however was very disappointing: (for me anyway)
The cloak takes up ridiculous amounts of space and has a jamming effect
lower[i] than that of the "lowly earthican" missile jamming thingie which you can get for an apple and an egg in any good pawn shop in the city. So personally I was never too impressed with that thing, my Annihilators were equipped with the human version at some stage and it always did SOME good, but hey... these things don't work too well against computers. (Same thing with the personal cloak, where in THEORY I can camp wherever I want to and see any cloaked enemy as soon as he spots me. A barrage of dimension missiles hailing down on me quickly taught me otherwise... God bless two sets of shields and a full disruptor armour. [ 'Corporal...' - 'Seargant?' - '... what's those purple slivers comin' towards us over there.. are they...?' - 'Yes, Seargent' - 'Do you think we should ...' - 'Yes, Sergeant' - 'Right, Corporal, give the order to move... hey... come back!' ]

Oh yeah: One question: What were the best firefights you ever had (I.e. who vs who, equipment, situation, etc...)
Just curious because I got some really funny ones and some really good ones like realistic etc.
Lt. Razak is offline                         Send a private message to Lt. Razak
Old 13-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #233
Jacal

Hi, there!

The problem occured when I've try to raid landed "bomber" - game can't find some files. (I don't know excatly the names - system didn't show them) Did you had these problems with game downloaded from Abandonia?

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 13-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #234
Lt. Razak
Forum hobbit

Hmm... I downloaded the game from Abandonia, too, but I rarely have any problems (I run it with DOS-Box).

The only two problems I ever had:

1) I start a mission and suddenly the game decides to ask for the cd-rom
Solution: Restart DOS-Box and try again

2) The game freezes, DOS-Box starts mass-producing some errormessages in the 2nd DOS-Box window (the one with the cycles and everything)
Solution: Quite surprisingly, restart DOS-Box and try again :angel:

Anyway, I suspect you tried that anyway ... I never had any other problems with the game (at least none of technical nature ).
I don't know how you run the game, if you don't use it already, try to use DOS-Box
Otherwise, make a backup copy of your savegames and unzip the X-Com apocalypse archive again to make sure everything is there and in one piece.

I hope this sorts your problem out... and don't kill the messenger, even if he has problems with shutting up and just keeps on talking...talking...talking
Lt. Razak is offline                         Send a private message to Lt. Razak
Old 14-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #235
werkon

Looks like x-com apoc can't be downloaded from site.
My CD-version does not run properly on dos-box + Win2k (no sound).

Old 14-11-2005, 03:24 AM   #236
Jacal

2 Lt. Razak: Thanks for the help. I use VDMSound to run XCOM Apocalypce. Yesterday try to change some file names (just added micros.pcx made by renaming of micro-.pcx) and changed directory name to XCOMA - game halted and asked me to insert CD.

2 werkon: Holder imformed that downloading problem has host technical background and will be solved soon.

Old 14-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #237
Lt. Razak
Forum hobbit

Jacal: Sorry, can't help you then...

werkon: I have the same problem with my own CD version, the abandonia version works fine in dos-box though... I dunno what exactly has been changed apart from the fact that I don't get any music (game freezes when you try to turn it on... don't try it) and that (999 out of 1000 times) the game does not ask for a CD but hey... if I can play it, I'm happy... no question asked.
Old 15-11-2005, 07:21 AM   #238

Ok I downloaded DOSBox and i'm trying to play this game through windows XP.

I can't mount my c drive in DOS box though. i type mount c c:\dosprog like the info says but no matter what directory I put down the program says the directory doesn't exist!

Help please!

Old 15-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #239
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, have you actually created that folder on your HDD? If so, you need to change the drive in the emulator to C: by typing c:\ after mounting, otherwise it's not in a drive so it won't find anything.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 15-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #240
Lt. Razak
Forum hobbit

There are two ways of using dosbox:

1) (This way any changes you make to dosbox config will be loaded and used)

Start dosbox
Command

Mount D: C:\games\dosgames\Xcom3

The folder C:\games\dosgames\Xcom3 would then be mounted as D:
then just change to D: (type "D: ") and start the game ("xcomapoc")

2) (This way is foolproof (i.e. my favourite but any changes you have made to the dosbox config are disregarded for some reason)

Open the folder with the game
Open the folder with DOS-Box in a second window
Drag the executable from the game onto the DOS-box.exe file. Windows will then try to start the game using dosbox; the gamedirectory will be mounted as C: automatically and the game starts.. huzah! :Brain: