Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #351
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Colonization is one of the few games on Abandonia which require that you install it before you can play.

To install this game, you need to run the install program from a floppy drive. You thus need to mount a "A: -t floppy" drive before doing anything.
Shouldn't this be stated in game review under "How to run the game"?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #352
Pex
Game Wizzard

It could, but as it is, you don't need to mount a flopy drive to install the game. I did installation from c: to c:. Maybe we should just add that it's a game that you need to install first, unlike many that you just unpack and play from dosbox.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #353
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
I never use Benjamin Franklin since I'm always at war with other European countries. I attack them as early as possible in the game and abandon their colonies using the people to bolster mine. Later I'm more selective, cause if they build a stockade, you cannot abandon the colony and to be honest, places they choose for their colonies are often ridiculous.

Speaking of stockades, Sieur de la Salle is another of the Founding Fathers that I always select, cause it saves a lot of building time (colonies with 3+ pop automaticly get a stockade). But once I have him, if I'm conquering another colony that has 3+ pop and no stockade, I make sure I leave only a couple of colonists in it before I end the turn. Providing that I want to abandon it, of course.
franklin only makes them offer peace, no call in accepting it untill they have no more nice targets to attack
I used to like de la salle, but he quickly becomes annoying and there are often better options around. Why annoying? when encountering silver rich lands, i tend to keep a farmer, a stateman, a soldier and, surprise, a silver miner, to make mobile silver mining camps. With Sieur, i cant abandon those cities anymore when the silver mine is exhausted. Yes, you can still mine some silver there, but its better to move on and build a city there, a real one, better location chosen etc, later on
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #354
Wicky
the little viking

1) Open a savegame in hex editor
2) Search for the name of town
3) From the first letter of the town's name, go to offset +82(hex) and change byte to 00.

Voilá, the stockade will be gone and the city can be disbanded.

Many consider this cheating because it involves hex editing, but not me. If you follow the game rules and conquer the town first, then you may disable such a gameplay flaw that doesn't allow disbanding. If the game rule that says "no disbanding of towns with a few wooden planks as defense" would make any sense, then they shouldn't have built a rule that you can abandon cities with shipyards, fur factories or ammunition depots either!!

When I see an enemy town with stockade, then I just get artillery, bomb it out and conquer it, then save game, hex the stockade away and disband it, because on second thought it is allowed.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #355
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The rule which prevent you to disband a city with a stockade already present is a gameplay rule. It is intended that way to prevent abuses like you are yourself refering to: conquer a city only to move huge amount of colons to bolster your own cities.

It always been plainly explained for me since I started playing. I think there is even a reference about this in the manual. And since this is intended gameplay behavior, I have to say that it is indeed cheating. (As a general rule of thumb, if you need to use a hex editor to change something which affect gameplay in such a way it can be used to boost your score then I always consider that cheating anyways.)

You have to remember that Colonization is more a simulation of the conquest of the new world than it is a Civ remake. A lot of options and gameplay decisions were made to make sure that the game would be true to history, and this is what make it so different from Civilization but at the same time so alike.

This said, I certainly won't stop you from doing it again and again if it strikes your fancy.

Edit:
Quote:
i never said good relations were not important

i just never needed minuit to keep them

but yes, for the french: minuit, pocahontas and the guy speeding up conversion, crowning it, by the time you have enough converts, by neutralizing them to colonists possibly (as you know, missions will help them like you too)
I have never found Pocahontas and the guy speeding up conversion any good or even slightly usefull. Pocahontas is not useful for me since I usually always have very good relations with the Native, and I don't like converts much. Since expert missions already give out a fair amount of converts, I usually have more than I wished I would.

Not going for those two founding fathers allow me to explore way more interesting options. Even a frigate is better than them, as it can be very useful against privateers and the Royal Army.

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 12-11-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #356
Wicky
the little viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
It is intended that way to prevent abuses like you are yourself refering to: conquer a city only to move huge amount of colons to bolster your own cities.
Hmm, but on second thought you must admit, that you can move all colons except 3 to your own cities. For example when you conquer a town with 15 colons, you can move 12 out.

Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #357
Pex
Game Wizzard

Most of the time I don't even bother with missions, cause I don't find converts that useful and even if you get that other guy that turns them into colonists, they still keep coming from the village with a mission afterwards.

I never thought of making 'mobile silver mining camps'. Not a bad idea, although unless I'm playing with the Dutch, price of silver usually drops down to 1 long before I exhaust the mine (maybe one of less realistic parts of the game, considering that price of ore never drops as fast as silver).

I'm quite mean to other European powers. I buy a privateer as soon as I can and then pester their poor ships as soon as they arrive to the New World, not even letting them unload new colonists (by which time I have already conquered their existing colonies). And because of the way the game works, they always arrive on the same spot, so you can set up a nice ambush. Then when I need extra colonists, I bring my dragoons and let the ship unload their colonists, so I could capture them.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #358
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Yeah, privateers are so great, I love them! I love to steal the other powers' cargo and sell them in europe or to the natives and just make profit without investing a single coin (except on making the privateer). They are just so fun!

Now I want to play Colonization again
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 13-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #359
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Hmm, but on second thought you must admit, that you can move all colons except 3 to your own cities. For example when you conquer a town with 15 colons, you can move 12 out.
This is historically accurate. For example: Relocation of the Acadians.

However, even with deportation, it was impossible to simply fully abandon a city. The whole point in conquering cities was to claim the land around it, and there always been a need for a minimal amount of people to maintain the infrastructure in the city when it reached a critical point in size.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #360
Oskatat
Game freak

i never use pocahontas or the conversion guys either, but missions do help your relations with natives and lower costs of having them declare war on someone else. You can always disband the converts when you dont need them.

and on pestering the other european powers, a privateer with 2 dragoons doesnt lose combat points, but can follow their ship to the home port, unload, take ship and take city. I've chased the english all around the map by now

also, on the silver, dont sell unless you got 100, or unless some other power is selling silver as well. also, markets recover. If you are the only silver guy, consider holding your silver for some time to get the market to rise again
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat