Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #2301
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf Thug@Apr 10 2006, 02:25 PM
Good advice cockroach but plasma pistols are better than laser pistols?
It's a trade off really. A pistol made for stopping power vs one with twice the speed, and unlimited ammo at a small power loss vs one that is very accurate but weak. Wielding a laser pistol in one hand and a plasma/standard in the other is quite fun and I've grown quite attached to the setup in my current pistol only campaign.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 11-04-2006, 06:23 AM   #2302
laiocfar
NOD Commander

and who not tryed to end a mission with the Commander with only one pistol and many clips..... u should take a race like floaters and a backup team with some real weapons and mediks
Old 15-04-2006, 02:34 AM   #2303
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

???
What do you mean?
Old 15-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #2304

My squad setup usually goes like this

When using a Skyranger (i.e. in the first few months of the game):

1 Tank Cannon - Cause how many times have you entered a battlefield and the first person to walk off the plane gets shot by 6 different aliens before you even see them?
8 Laser Rifle Troops - Because at the early stages you dont really have much alein technology researched and its a solid weapon at any stage of the game
2 Auto Cannons - For support, i usually send them ASAP to the roof of nearby buildings, especially handy at night with incenedary rounds, fire off a few auto shots into the distance and see the whole map get lit up

But later when using an Avenger and being able to carry around 16:

4 Laser Rifles - Work in conjunction with the 4 Heavy Plasmas
4 Heavy Plasmas - These and Laser rifles used for the general fighting and room clearing
4 Auto Cannons - Sent to rooftops and hills to secure the area and give support to the Assulat Troops. versatility of changing ammo is very helpful in this instance
1 Heavy plasma Tank - Again sent as a TU waster for the aliens at the start of the battle but floating allows it to help the Auto Cannons in the support phase or for scouting ahead and acting as a diversion before sending in the Assualt Troops

Sometimes ill have 2 soldiers with Laser and Plasma Pistols for Terror missions where the fighting can get really up close and personal

Old 15-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #2305
Mr. Barman

woops, that was me
Mr. Barman is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Barman
Old 15-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #2306
Japo
Autonomous human

I myself use:

- One or two (depending on transport ship available) HWPs. Plasma if available, if not the other non-explosive choice; I prefer the HWPs to be more versatile since they have plenty of HWP and can be anywhere, and I leave the fireworks to the men.

- The fireworks guy, with blaster launcher or the best technology available. Also a conventional weapon in the backpack. (With "conventional" I don't mean puny armor piercing, I mean anything which is neither explosive nor stunning; the heavy plasma is my favourite choice.)

- The two psi-strongest (and most trained) men get psi-amps in their left hands. If the blaster launcher is available then one of these is also the fireworks man, since the accuracy penalty for not having both hands free is irrelevant for this weapon, being automatically targeted as it is. If the BL is not available then on the contrary, since accuracy is most critical with these weapons if only one man is equiped.

- The two men with best shooting accuracy wield stun bomb launchers if available, and carry conventional weapons in their backpack. When I don't seek to capture new aliens alive, then they wield the conventional weapons and the launcher is now in the backpack. When the stun bomb launcher is not available then the two men with most TUs get stun rods.

- The two most worhless guys (poorest shooters) are equiped with medikits and so, so if I've got to use something that's not a weapon it's done by the guys who would do less good with one.

- All the men (there are up to ten men in a squad) wield conventional weapons except the fireworks guy, which nonetheless has one in the backpack and will use it if he runs out of explosive ammunition, and the two best shooters, who may wield conventional weapons or stun bomb launcher as explained above. The conventional weapons are the most powerful ones available, heavy plasma (which has in addition a very good snap shot accuracy rating) once available. I myself don't bother with human-developed weapons, they're less powerful, and after all the aliens don't either.

Strength must also be taken into account so that none of the specially equiped soldiers is too slowed down. If he's slowed down just a little then don't worry, he'll get stronger in no time.

Hope this helps, or at least doesn't misguide. I'm not saying it's the optimum configuration, it's just the one I use.
Old 15-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #2307
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i noticed that aliens always go on the weakest squad member with their psi (somehow they know who the weakest is). yet i keep them in my squad and arm them with flares only. the receive some additional weapons but only on their backpack. later when aliens are the ones panacking these squad members grab their weapons and are involved in action.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 15-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #2308
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by gregor+Apr 15 2006, 07:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gregor @ Apr 15 2006, 07:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>i noticed that aliens always go on the weakest squad member with their psi (somehow they know who the weakest is).[/b]

Indeed I've noticed, somehow they know--and we can't. I discussed my strategy some pages ago and there was something about this:

<!--QuoteBegin-Myself

Among my soldiers I select one third of them with the greatest psionic strength, and put them in Europe, which is closest to the other two [continents]. When the mission is against Sectoids or Ethereals, I launch from Europe and my squad is then impervious to psionic attacks.[/quote]
Old 15-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #2309
guesst
Abandonia Homie

The makers of X-Com admited that they made the computer players cheat, but it was the only way they could make them a challange.

I don't know why they bothered. On a game that you can play 8 hours straight before you suddenly realize you've play all night long, that's the sun coming up, you're hungry, tired, you need to be to work in 4 hours, and what you though was your monitor going out was just because you've got to pee so bad you're seeing yellow.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 16-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #2310
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Anyway, aliens doesnt psi your weakest trooper if it is unsee. Its true that many times the corners got "holes" (mistakes of programmer?). And if u left the troops in the Skyranger and dont move or the aliens are taking the lossing hand and cant launch a psi attack, THE WEAKEST psi soldier becomes sppoted and controled(turn 13).

I told you many times about my diamond of 4 teams, or the line for jungles, or the pairs for base combat; so you can imagine that i only divide the equipment by teams and a sniper per team + a PSI team of 3-4 when avaible.
Japofran, its clever to make a PSI squad but i found that u need to make some PSI training to get the psi strengh of a trooper + the psi squad can be decimate as a rookies squad by a big ethereals crew + i found better to make an squad with the best troopers from the first year an train it to Cydonia in easy mission and better equipment.
U carry too many equipment for a normal squad + i found that u deploy too many or too few people to a combat situation or u keep (as me :angel: ) the special loaded soldiers as backup of normal teams.

Some other thing that i do different is that any soldier is a potential medic since they all carry the medikits.

Quote:
For support, i usually send them ASAP to the roof of nearby buildings, especially handy at night with incenedary rounds, fire off a few auto shots into the distance and see the whole map get lit up
I love that move, i do it myself but i dont like to destroy too much.
BTW, i never managed the smoke well, only to cover the exit from the skyranger or to save a soldier without TU in the middle of a combat zone.

Quote:

I don't know why they bothered. On a game that you can play 8 hours straight before you suddenly realize you've play all night long, that's the sun coming up, you're hungry, tired, you need to be to work in 4 hours, and what you though was your monitor going out was just because you've got to pee so bad you're seeing yellow.
This last is a masterpiece, clap clap clap LOL