Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #231
grumbolt

For a challange in game play, try taking only a single book of magic or try conquering the world with only a single city!
:Titan:

Old 03-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #232
Gamefreak

Why, I can conquer the world, though with two cities and not one :P And with all nodes on Myrror being my :whistle:

Old 03-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #233
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamefreak@Apr 3 2006, 12:26 PM
Why, I can conquer the world, though with two cities and not one :P And with all nodes on Myrror being my :whistle:
What difficulty setting? Hats off if it's more than easy
I must say I have to expand a bit early in the game to get some cash flow... Only 2 cities would make my advance a lot slower I reckon.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #234
Gamefreak

I tried that once, on the second-hard difficult setting, 4 opponents, strongest magic node effects and medium land-size (hate the opponents to have too many cities, slows game-turns down). It is safe enough as long as you start on Myrror. I chose a city with a good bonus, preferably 1 adamantium + 1 gold / jewel mine in it's radius, and being on water shore is great as well for those nations that can build merchant's guild (requires two ship buildings before can be built). All you have to do is to plunder few easiest lairs around you with the two starter units, then position them in the city for the case of attack of neutral city or plundering monsters. And from the first round on comstruct buildings, build them all.
When I have them all up to wizards tower (therefore already have alchemists's guild) I start to build the best units (while dismissing the starting ones), one or two each for city defense and to plunder harder lairs, for example with High Elves - 1-2 Elvenlords (the ones with piercing attack like Paladins), 2 Longbowshooters (with adamantium they're good killers) and 1-2 Magicians. After they're built I set the city to produce gold through converting build-strength (the hammers) for gold (with all of the gold-bonus increasing buildings that gives a nice boost) and set up a second town.
With the units I plunder the more advanced lairs and preferably at least one magic node if there's one nearby and reachable, and meanwhile study spells up to be able to create artifact and summon a champion, not hero. He either joins the "elite army" or waits in town until the best, most powerful artifacts for him are created. When he has them all he can try himself on all but the hardest lairs/nodes, gains levels through experience unless he was cast Chaos Channels / Black Channels upon (then he doesn't get exp from battles), gathers fame that decreases the gold-cost of units and most important - conquers the magic nodes and spell-books/mana-increasing retorts (save-reload until you have what you want). With each node more in my possession I grow in power rapidly so already soon the enemy wizards are not a threat anymore, unless one of them was lucky and managed to rise high in power while I was trying the same. But even then there're no real problems anymore, it's just a question of some time and lots of fun before he's eradicated, my meanwhile powerful champion will quickly decrease his army and number of his cities, and weak he's not a threat.

All you actually will have to do from then on is to study spells up to Spell of Mastery, cast that spell and win. The AI is quite weak so there's not much challenge anyway, but on the difficulty-level Impossible it's quite difficult while doesn't really increase fun.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 AM   #235
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

I've beaten it on hard with one city when starting on Myrror. Just lock em out and go for armageddon!

Summoning volcanoes and owning all the nodes on your side of the world really helps your power to keep the enemies from dispelling your planar seal.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 04-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #236
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by blastradius14@Apr 4 2006, 04:01 AM
I've beaten it on hard with one city when starting on Myrror. Just lock em out and go for armageddon!

Summoning volcanoes and owning all the nodes on your side of the world really helps your power to keep the enemies from dispelling your planar seal.
Lately I feel more like starting on the regular plane (i.e. not Myrror) because it's happened a bit too often that my first city was overrun by rampaging monsters from a nearby node that was too powerful to conquer thus far.

Volcanoes never seem to work for me, whenever I cast them I don't see any increase in mana per turn :blink:

I usually go for lots of magic and a relatively small army (compared to enemy wizards), with a few beefed up heroes/champions with ranged attack. Plus a few powerful beasts to take care of the toughest nodes.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #237
Gamefreak

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Apr 4 2006, 09:48 AM
Volcanoes never seem to work for me, whenever I cast them I don't see any increase in mana per turn :blink:

I usually go for lots of magic and a relatively small army (compared to enemy wizards), with a few beefed up heroes/champions with ranged attack. Plus a few powerful beasts to take care of the toughest nodes.
Volcanoes add 0.5 to your spell power points (in that magic-menu above) which is then divided between your mana, research and casting skill accordingly to how you raised the three bars. If you you leave them at their default values you should notice increase in mana per turn for every two volcanoes. And don't forget that volcanoes have a % chance to convert back to hills and stop producing mana after that, so never rely on volcanoes as your firm mana source unless you have Armageddon in effect, then there appear more new volcanoes than them stop to exist, although there's a limited amount of volcanoes that can be existing.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #238
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamefreak@Apr 4 2006, 11:33 AM
Volcanoes add 0.5 to your spell power points (in that magic-menu above) which is then divided between your mana, research and casting skill accordingly to how you raised the three bars. If you you leave them at their default values you should notice increase in mana per turn for every two volcanoes. And don't forget that volcanoes have a % chance to convert back to hills and stop producing mana after that, so never rely on volcanoes as your firm mana source unless you have Armageddon in effect, then there appear more new volcanoes than them stop to exist, although there's a limited amount of volcanoes that can be existing.
Many thanks for the explanation! I expected it to be 1 mana per volcano.

Then volcanoes aren't such a great spell after all, if you look at mana output compared to casting cost.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #239
Gamefreak

Well, it's still good to harm enemy's cities (as it destroys buildings when cast) and ruin the landscape around them. And if you have already many nodes under your control and can cast Armageddon in a matter of two-three rounds it will still boost your mana quite noticeable.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #240
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamefreak@Apr 4 2006, 03:12 PM
Well, it's still good to harm enemy's cities (as it destroys buildings when cast) and ruin the landscape around them. And if you have already many nodes under your control and can cast Armageddon in a matter of two-three rounds it will still boost your mana quite noticeable.
True, though for that casting cost I can think of spells than can do a lot more harm to an enemy's cities

Anyway, currently I'm returning to my usual nature spell books, but this time combined with barbarians... Long live the berserkers!