Old 19-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #21
Bluntman
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Bluntman
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX@May 19 2006, 04:28 PM
*SPOILER*

Plus they killed off Lester in the begining of the game* * After the ending fight in the first game I assumed he was just injured when he and the alien took off on that dragon. But in the begining of Heart of a Alien he is dead reduced to a skeleton and entombed in a stone coffin by his alien friend*

That was a blow like killing off Solid Snake in the begining of the second Metal Gear game for a MG fan. I wanted to see him perhaps make it home to earth or atleast live a long life in his new planet.
AAAAAHH CAN'T BELIEVE IT :blink: :eeeeeh: :not_ok:

You finished "Heart Of The Alien" ? Are you shure Lester was DEAD? Nothing brings him back to life at the end of the game? These are shocking news man...
Bluntman is offline                         Send a private message to Bluntman
Old 19-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #22
Bubla

Regarding Heart of the alien:
That game had little to do with original Another world developer Eric Chahi. Interplay completely screwed up the plot and not only that - the engine isn't very good, controls are stiff so the game is unneccessarily hard that you are going to die multiple times in each screen (no exaggerating). Eric himself said that HotA wasn't horrible, but that it lacked some kind of spirit. Indeed. In my opinion AW dosen't have a sequel.
Regarding Fade to black: I like that game very much. Altough compared with Flashback there may be some disappointement, it is pretty good. There is a very good soundtrack and quite good cutscenes as well. I give it 7/10, but that, strangely enough, dosen't mean that I don't think that it isn't a good game. One should be tough, n'est-ce pas... :tai:

Old 20-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #23
Sonicfan37
Forum hobbit

Ah... Good ol' Flashback. I've got this game for the Genesis, and it's a great game! You people... you are awesome beyond recognition.
Sonicfan37 is offline                         Send a private message to Sonicfan37
Old 20-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #24
Eva02Soul
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX+May 19 2006, 04:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ShadowXIX @ May 19 2006, 04:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bluntman@May 19 2006, 07:50 AM

*SPOILER*
Plus they killed off Lester in the begining of the game* * After the ending fight in the first game I assumed he was just injured when he and the alien took off on that dragon. But in the begining of Heart of a Alien he is dead reduced to a skeleton and entombed in a stone coffin by his alien friend* *
[/b][/quote]
*MORE SPOILERS*

You've got the story a bit mixed up, i've played the game recently and Lester is alive at the start, albeit seriously injured. However as the game continues he dies heroically and the stone coffin scene takes place later on.

Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 20-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva02Soul+May 20 2006, 02:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eva02Soul @ May 20 2006, 02:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX@May 19 2006, 04:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bluntman
Quote:
@May 19 2006, 07:50 AM

*SPOILER*
Plus they killed off Lester in the begining of the game** * After the ending fight in the first game I assumed he was just injured when he and the alien took off on that dragon. But in the begining of Heart of a Alien he is dead reduced to a skeleton and entombed in a stone coffin by his alien friend* *

*MORE SPOILERS*

You've got the story a bit mixed up, i've played the game recently and Lester is alive at the start, albeit seriously injured. However as the game continues he dies heroically and the stone coffin scene takes place later on. [/b][/quote]
But they screwed up the death scene so badly, most players didn't realise he had just died... there's a FAQ on gamefaqs explaining the ending, the "clues" to his death, etc

Old 21-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
Glal

Yeah, from what I read their cinematic style [ie, vectors] was very time consuming to make, and they ran out of budget which resulted in the end cinematic being all of 10 seconds long and abrupt, while the start has a rather nice, long one.

I didn't feel HoTA was a bad game, but certainly not as good as its predecessor. And even less forgiving. I'm not sure I agree about the "wooden character, unlike in AW" comment though; Another World's controls were quite wooden themselves, both games pale in comparison to Prince of Persia in that respect.

Also, I seem to be the only person evar who liked Fade to Black. *g*

“We must endeavor to persevere.”
Glal is offline                         Send a private message to Glal
Old 21-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #27
ReZ

On the subject of playing Flashback, from memory I remember being able to do a standing jump and a short way in to the first section there is a "puzzle" which requires you to perform such a jump.

Having said all this, how do I do such a move? I can only get a running jump.

Thanks for your help !

Old 21-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #28
Data
retired

stand on the edge
and then press shift +(up or direction. not sure anymore)
Old 21-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #29
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva02Soul+May 20 2006, 02:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eva02Soul @ May 20 2006, 02:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Bluntman@May 19 2006, 07:50 AM

*MORE SPOILERS*

You've got the story a bit mixed up, i've played the game recently and Lester is alive at the start, albeit seriously injured. However as the game continues he dies heroically and the stone coffin scene takes place later on.

[/b][/quote]
*EVEN MORE SPOILERS***

Its been a few years since I played it so I could be wrong about the timeline. But the parts when lester appears alive I believe are flashbacks from the Aliens POV of the events of Another World. When HOTA finally gets to the dragon scene ending of the first game and the alien returns to his village, thats when im pretty sure he gets turned into a skeleton.

So when we get to "Present" time and not the re-look at the events of Another World in the second game the first thing that happens is Lesters death.

I share many views with Bubla's post on the subject. I didnt feel like a true sequel too me. I never knew Eric Chahi had little to nothing to do with the game but hearing that makes alot of sense and adds to my feelings.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 21-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #30
tito1337

Would someone mind giving me a hint? I've got a technical problem, not a puzzle.

At the very beginning of the second level, in the second screen, there is a pit, a small ledge of medium height all the way to the right, and a ledge at the top that extends to the left. How can I jump up to the second ledge? There's no other place to go! I've tried a running jump, and a hop; what else is there? For the running jump, I go all the way to the right, turn left, hold shift, move left, release left, hold up while still holding shift, and the character misses the ledge. For the hop, I walk to the end of the first ledge, hold shift, and press up. Still the character misses the ledge. Has anyone gotten past this part?

Thank you.