Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Talking Street Fighter II Homebrew DOS Port

Recently, while digging through cd.textfiles.com this little file attracted my attention:
http://cd.textfiles.com/cavebbsfiles/GAMES/SF2IBM.EXE

The description on that CD says: "Street Fighter II demo for IBM. Self extracting archive". While a playable demo of Street Fighter II Turbo is widely available, I was unaware of any other demo versions of the game, so I decided to check it out.

The only information file inside goes as follows:
Quote:
Street Fighter II - BETA Version -

Supplied by : Master Ken
Packaged by : Master Ken

Note :

Hi ya..guys.. I couldn't think there's SFII come out for IBM...
I just got some package from Korea few days ago and found
this game. This one is made by some fellow in korea...
This is shareware version and it's not complete... But looks well
done with lame IBM sprites...

Description of game :

There's only 2 player can be played which is Ryu/Guile.
The keys can be assigned using sf2setup.exe.

Have fun!
The demo is indeed playable, both in one-player mode against AI opponents and in two-player mode on a single keyboard. While different arenas are available, you can only play as Guile or Ryu, even though other characters' portraits will be shown on the selection and match outcome screens. While I haven't checked this, it is probably possible to play through the entire single-player story mode with all the character's sprites replaced by those of Ryu and Guile.

There's only one musical track, which is the title theme of the game. Almost all in-game text is in Korean. The leftmost option on the main menu is the single-player mode, the central one is the two-player mode, and the rightmost one is the options menu.

Aleff Correa at the BetaArchive Forums found more info about this version, which turned to be a homebrew port based on the SNES version, made by a programmer from Korea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleff Correa
I found some info on the full game EDIT: A more advanced beta version:

Quote:
Before you complain to me for saving the screenshots in low quality jpeg, let me explain: A young Korean programmer named Jung Young Dug decided shortly after the release of Street Fighter II, that it would be awesome to play the game on PC. (Apparently the game by Ocean wasn't available in Korea.) But all he had to work with was his SNES version and a TV capture card. That's how he got the graphics for his game.

The game is based on the very first release of SF2, The World Warrior. It has a few shortcomings, though. The bosses are not in the game (a few normal character backgrounds are replaced with boss stages), and when selecting Dhalsim for some reason it just loads Ken. Dhalsim's stage and portrait are in, so maybe it's just a bug. Some special moves can also be done in mid-air, like in those cheap bootleg hacks. The version I have is labeled "Beta Version", don't know if there is a more complete one out there. The game files also seem to have been meddled with by third parties...

It runs a bit choppy, too, but the controls are simply the best I've ever seen in a DOS-based fighting game. Would have been cool to see Jung work with a professional team on an original fighter, that could have been awesome. Some of the issues might be caused by DOSBox, as the game doesn't work too great with it. Sometimes when I made a screenshot, the game just crashed.
It also allows mirror matches, but the colors for the second player are really weird. The game also allows for some really odd options. You can set a fight to 99 rounds that all run for 999 seconds each - when you set both character's attack level to zero and defence level to maximum, some rounds can even take that long.

The music is all rearranged in midi, the tunes range from barely recognizable to surprisingly awesome. The fighters have additional voice samples when they win a round. Some are ripped from action movies, but others clearly recorded by Jung himself and sound very goofy.

When releasing the game, the programmer had the decency to reference to Capcom and Nintendo in, but in August 1994, a book was published boldy titled "Game Programming with the Creator of SF-2" - The author was Jung Young Dug.
I lol'ed at the last paragraph.

Source + Images, sounds, videos: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/20...fighter-2.html

Awesome file And yes it was completed, since it was stated that Jung created Street Fighter II in that last paragraph.
Apparently, this game offered great possibilities for modding, which were put to good use by the fans. For example, there's a "patched" version called SFLIU, made by two guys from Canada, which is available here (Wayback Machine copy).

Two other versions of the port (v1.25 and v1.98) can be found here (alongside with a nice review):
http://www.scary-crayon.com/games/sf2pc/
Old 20-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

On Street Fighter wikia it says Vega and Balrog were replaced by Andy and Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury) in some versions.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
On Street Fighter wikia it says Vega and Balrog were replaced by Andy and Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury) in some versions.
I remember playing exactly this one version of Street Fighter II somewhere in 1995, got it from a flea market on one or two floppies. Nothing legal, I guess now. Back then I wasn't even aware it wasn't a true PC game, though it did look to me like some kind of port from Amiga or like, and did look very good. Better even than the Street Fighter II Turbo I got later actually, which was a true PC game. It was a full version too, you could select any character and play the game completely through.
On a side note, it did have MIDI music, though the music files weren't normal .mid files but .mdi files. They also sounded much better (more digital, much less synthetic) than default .mid files on my Soundblaster 16. I remember some Dos program I had back then supported and could play them, though I never again met any program since then that knew this format, nor any real info on what kind of MIDI format that was. Must have been some self-made, or little-known local kind of MIDI variation.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 22-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Holy raptor Jesus, I had this one