Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...s-download-it/

would be nice to add them to abandonia
What good news, dear Capo (not Japo or Paco ).

I have copies of both games, but as I’ve come to desire and collect original games (digital and physical games like Scotty), I was eagerly looking for games on online stores. NOLF and NOLF2 were difficult to find as well as Largo Winch. I finally managed to find and buy it (Largo Winch). The bad news was that Largo Winch did not run on Windows 7, 8.

Now, I believe that GOG.com is the only online store that updates game patches (using DOSBox, etc.) while Steam, Gamersgate, Gamesplanet.com, Origin, etc. do not update their games so older ones may not run on newer Operating Systems. This is very frustrating.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Now, I believe that GOG.com is the only online store that updates game patches (using DOSBox, etc.) while Steam, Gamersgate, Gamesplanet.com, Origin, etc. do not update their games so older ones may not run on newer Operating Systems. This is very frustrating.
Actually, it's two-way process.

1. GOG finding old game and tries to run it on newest system. If it works - they sell it.
2. If GOG sells the game, "proper" game owner (and it's not GOG) will re-launch it on Steam too with GOG fixes.

I seen it several times already. Check Microprose games, for example - all of them have exactly the same content as GOG ones, with the same internal DOSBox.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

1. GOG finding old game and tries to run it on newest system. If it works - they sell it.
2. If GOG sells the game, "proper" game owner (and it's not GOG) will re-launch it on Steam too with GOG fixes.

I seen it several times already. Check Microprose games, for example - all of them have exactly the same content as GOG ones, with the same internal DOSBox.
Gog.com games doesn't work the way it is right now because *currently* it is games of gore. I like it when it used to be good old games not that I would know since I wasn't around then. However I did just recently visited the page last month and it is mostly evil games. That's unfortunate. It's never going to make that much money. Just saying!!!

Jesus Christ! Bless GOD, Jesus Christ, Mary, and The Holy Spirit# Then bless my real mom Huong Thi Vu. Honours to my real mom Huong Thi Vu and my real dad Nguyen Binh Thuy. Congratulations to my real two sisters Nguyen Khoa Thuyen and Nguyen Khoa Thi. I, Nguyen Khoa Tien, will always be on the good side but that doesn't mean I don't love some on the evil side. It is just unfortunate we are on different sides of the law. But I still love you all. Get it? It rhymes.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:

Can we add the game or not?

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
I vote we add the game since it has a nice lady in there and it is abandoned currently. If you add the game I promise to repeat double my signature no more than once per week! Please smiley#

Last edited by tienkhoanguyen; 10-07-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Look for my double on church day weekly.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 10-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:

Dear Spectre(man) .

So does GOG.com do all the work to fix the bugs in the game? And are game makers just looking forward to a profit later? Now that is opportunism...

Just the spectral vision to see behind the scenes...

Quote:
Dear Capo (not Japo nor Paco ).

I would advise you to post in the Request Games Forum where marko river and / or Cluseck will be able to give you the information you need.

I think marko would be more appropriate since he is the Updater that is active while the Admins perform other tasks.

Last edited by Mystvan; 10-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
I would advise you to post in the Request Games Forum where marko river and / or Cluseck will be able to give you the information you need.

I think marko would be more appropriate since he is the Updater that is active while the Admins perform other tasks.
OK, this requires immediate corrections:
1. Calling me active updater after almost a year without one is a bit... incorrect
2. Clusek is the main guy to check status of the game, since Expack2 is less active recently.
3. Spectre is a big game hoarder and is also active in checking games, so yeah.
4. Capo is old member and knows about all this.
5. Thank you for being active and keep it up

I mostly wanted to type the correction No.1, all others are just fillers really
Also I don't wanna make you feel like you did something wrong for saying that, just letting you know. I'll reply to you about Rome later today.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
So does GOG.com do all the work to fix the bugs in the game? And are game makers just looking forward to a profit later? Now that is opportunism...
Actually, as far as I know it, it's double opportunism.

1. GOG check games (mostly abandonware, I suspect), and tries to start it in DOSBox for DOS, or get fixing patches for Windows.
2. In case of success they contact rights owners and asks for right to distribute it. Not for free, I suppose.
3. Usually, if such game sells on GOG well, the same right owners double the same game on Steam.

But it's all off-topic in this theme, I fear...
Old 13-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #10
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
OK, this requires immediate corrections:
1. Calling me active updater after almost a year without one is a bit... incorrect
2. Clusek is the main guy to check status of the game, since Expack2 is less active recently.
3. Spectre is a big game hoarder and is also active in checking games, so yeah.
4. Capo is old member and knows about all this.
5. Thank you for being active and keep it up

I mostly wanted to type the correction No.1, all others are just fillers really
Also I don't wanna make you feel like you did something wrong for saying that, just letting you know. I'll reply to you about Rome later today.
I am sorry, but I did not know this (No. 1 ~ No. 4) for being absent for almost 5 ~ 6 years in the Abandonia Forums even though I participated in the Daily Screenshot Quiz incessantly. Sorry Capo (not Japo nor Paco ).

Capo (not Japo nor Paco) is agry!

Quote:
Actually, as far as I know it, it's double opportunism.

1. GOG check games (mostly abandonware, I suspect), and tries to start it in DOSBox for DOS, or get fixing patches for Windows.
2. In case of success they contact rights owners and asks for right to distribute it. Not for free, I suppose.
3. Usually, if such game sells on GOG well, the same right owners double the same game on Steam.

But it's all off-topic in this theme, I fear...
But I liked the information. That is very interesting information, but why has not GOG.com even made Gods, Dune, Dune II and Dune 2000, Flashback available on online store?

BTW, Steam released FFVII and FVIII. I remember I could run FFVII on Windows XP using a patch.

Last edited by Mystvan; 15-07-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan