Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
BrokenAngel

Send a message via MSN to BrokenAngel
Default Sound Problems

Ive been a regular in abandonia...eversince my first download ive been having trouble running sounds for the games that ive downloaded. how do i get the sounds running? the last game ive downloaded was KGB and legends of KYRANDIA....still the same no sound!! pls tell me how to fix it?

thanks in advance and bravo to you kosta for being so industrious again!! :wink:
Old 30-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Not hearing sounds could have any number of reasons. Giving us your system specs (are you running XP for instance) will help us in determining what exactly is causing this for you.
The mostly causes are an XP machine and incorrectly configured setup. If you are on an XP machine try downloading DOSBox and running the game from there. If you do not have XP (or win2000) try running setup.exe or install.exe and configure the game accoring to your own machines specs.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 31-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sound is a definite must, especiall on games such as Kyrandia. They make up a lot of the game's atmosphere. So, as The Picard has stated above, DosBox could be a potential solution (sounds in Kyrandia work in DoxBox, I've checked). If that doesn't work, you can always try VDM Sound. This is a wonderful solution for all XP-DOS gamers. It basically installs XP sound drivers for DOS. You can find it here:
http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/
Of course, last but not least, there is DOS mode over the bootable floppy with DOS sound drivers. This is probably most difficult to set up, but most compatible. Hope any of this helps, and thanks for the comments!
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 31-01-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
Danny252
I have a custom title!

As usual Ill give my answer to everything. DOSBOX!!! It recreates SOUND BLASTER sound, so you select that in install or whatever. Some games actually allow you to use modern speakers, but very few. also DOS BOX, my answer to all DOSing problems, manages the amount of CPU the game can use, about 5000 is a good level, allowing the games to run at a respectable speed!

Also it will allow games that don't run (just create a black screen) to.. you guessed it, run! Download now! it works on KGB and almost all Abandonia games! so download today! only the cost of a few minutes internet connection! oh wait.. this isn't an advert..
Danny252 is offline                         Send a private message to Danny252
Old 31-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

haha, yes, DosBox is the ultimate solution for a powerful computer. If you want to find out how compatible a certain game is with DosBox, you can check its status here:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=a
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 31-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
BrokenAngel

thanks for all your help....i am using an old PC i have a windows 98 2nd edition OS and my PC runs at only 200 mhz.quiet old i only got it for about 5k pesos :? . last night i tried downloading the boot disk located at the website but the problem is i dont know how to use it .

i guess im gonna try the dosbox thing u guys mentioned. pray to god it works....gonna download it later tonyt!!
Old 31-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

DOSBox on such an old machine is not a good idea since DOSBox requires a great deal of resources (DOSBox would be far too slow for you). The reason you don't have sounds I think (from reading you computer specs) is that the games you played where not setup correctly. your computer has a sound card that is not compatible with the way the game is setup. You will need to run a file called either setup.exe or install.exe. Select the sound device that is in your computer and configure it they way they are initialized in the config.sys file in the root of your computer (c:\). You can open that file with notepad but be sure to not change anything or things are going to go awfully wrong with your computer.

The standard values for sound are IRQ = 7, DMA = 3, io= 220.

If you have any trouble with doing this don't hesitate to ask.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 31-01-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Okay I did some digging (okay my brother and I did some digging) and we came up with this.

It might be possible that your config.sys file is missing the correct commandline. This is entirely possible since win98 was never really ment to run DOS applications. You will need to configure them manually. Read more on how to this in the following links.

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

http://retailsupport.ea.com/tech_support/h..._to/blaster.htm

[EDIT]
One last link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...seconfigtxt.asp
[/EDIT]
Old 01-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
BrokenAngel

Thanks for the research Picard i really appreciate it. sad to say even the dosbox doesnt seem to work on my pc . i managed to run kyrandia for a few seconds sounds wer stuttering and then after a while it crashed :x . Atleast thanks to picard i still have hope. im gonna try that links picard let u know if it works....hope it does
Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #10
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

no problem 8) .