Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #21
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 21 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]280315[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
What about the Baldur's Gate mods? Are they worth enough to download them? Because I'm planning on playing the whole saga again (I recently bougth a pack with both games and it's expansions). Any recomendations? Do you know if there are problems with translations? As I bougth them in Spanish.
[/b]
I have no idea about the Spanish versions, but I've found BG1 Tutu with Tutu-compliant mods work well together. They also fix innumerable small problems in the original title, and help you customize a huge range of features. These include how many health points party members get when leveling, the class of each party NPC you encounter, allowing party members you kick out to meet you in specific inns, adding potions to adversaries' inventories which they can use, making battles tougher, etc. My favorite, though, is one that adds a large amount of dialog and interjections from all party members, much in character.

Quote:
Is the XP cap the same as in BG2 too?[/b]
There's a Tutu-compliant mod, BG2 Tweaks (which is something of a misnomer; it also works on Tutu) that lets you set the cap to 20 levels, 30 levels, or remove the cap completely.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 22-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #22
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Quote:
What about the Baldur's Gate mods? Are they worth enough to download them? Because I'm planning on playing the whole saga again (I recently bougth a pack with both games and it's expansions). Any recomendations? Do you know if there are problems with translations? As I bougth them in Spanish.[/b]
If you copy dialog.tlk from an english version of the game then your game is english to.
If you want it then PM me and i'll upload it for you.

As for mods, check this out:
Mega-WeiDU Install Instruction using BG2 Fixpack, G3FixPack/BGT/BPFamily/WorldMapv6:
http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/i...howtopic=22224

The biggest running Mega-WeiDU Install of all:
http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/i...howtopic=24471
http://www.kerzenburg.nightisforum.d...ad.php?t=34717
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 22-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #23
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carpetsmoker @ Feb 22 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]280403[/snapback]</div>wow. big install. i would try installing Mega-WeiDU but i can't afford to use the space at the moment. i have BG1+2 and the relevant expansions but haven't had much chance to get into it at the moment.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 22-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #24
silz
Abandonia nerd

I previously used teambg.net to remove the exp cap. Another side theforgettenwars.com also offers some pretty good addin mod.
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz
Old 22-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Tito
Alley Cat

I'll have to try those resources as soon as I end my current games (Call of Cthulhu and Outcast). Removing the experience cap will be my first step, as I hated that.

Thanks for the info, guys!
Old 22-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #26
Scatty
Treasure hunter

In Baldur's Gate II all you need to do to remove the XP cap is to open the file bgmain.exe with a hexeditor, search for the string xpcap and to replace the x with another letter.
Could work for Baldur's Gate maybe too, then you could save yourself installing a mod for that.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #27
silz
Abandonia nerd

Any suggestions for a good hex editor? I had trouble finding a good hex editor the second time around when I was replaying Planescape:Torment to modify the stats. Took me a good 30 mins to find one and now I've no memory on how I get it as it was deleted. It was a trial shareware.
Old 23-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #28
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I'm using this one, it has a slightly better touch than all the others hex editors found through Google and integrates itself into Windows Explorer to quick-open files with a right click for editing.
It's a shareware version though, but seems to do everything you need.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #29
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Quote:
In Baldur's Gate II all you need to do to remove the XP cap is to open the file bgmain.exe with a hexeditor, search for the string xpcap and to replace the x with another letter.
Could work for Baldur's Gate maybe too, then you could save yourself installing a mod for that.[/b]
Replacing xpcap.2da is much cleaner and better way.
I think sorcerers.net has such a xcap remover

Quote:
Any suggestions for a good hex editor? I had trouble finding a good hex editor the second time around when I was replaying Planescape:Torment to modify the stats. Took me a good 30 mins to find one and now I've no memory on how I get it as it was deleted. It was a trial shareware.[/b]
You can download a torment savegame editor from:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torme...ex_editors.php
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 24-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #30
silz
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Feb 23 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]280733[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm using this one, it has a slightly better touch than all the others hex editors found through Google and integrates itself into Windows Explorer to quick-open files with a right click for editing.
It's a shareware version though, but seems to do everything you need.
[/b]
Thanks, thats certainly better than the one I have found. The numbers are so small its hardly viewable.