Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Neviskio

Default Trying to remember a space game

Hello everyone, I've been trying to find a game I used to play when I was younger but I can't remember much of it so I thought you could give me an hand since probably it's already either on abandonia on around, just can't find it.

Basically what I remember is that it was a strategy game(or a 4X not sure, fuzzy memory), main things I remember aren't that helpful and I'll probably just be a master of the obvious but whatever:

visual was from outer space focused on single planets which had the spaceships orbiting, game was fairly old looking, and I don't think you could directly check your planets(I mean no visual candy of the buildings but not sure)

I remember there were satellites for defense(which just came to my mind now)

I don't remember much of the interface or the actual gameplay, I kinda remember the design of the ships and probably with a screenshot I could easily recognize it but...with these clues could be anything I guess...

I'll try to focus more into my memory trying to get more helpful things but it will probably be hard since I really can't remember specific units(besides satellites and probably some defensive units) or more than this...

I can easily say it wasn't one of the most known or atleast I'd say so since I've checked the most known like master of orion series, but not sure still...

I tried checking lists(even the alphabetical dosbox one) but it feels quite impractical so...please help me out! I'll check any name you give me or any screen asap so hopefully I can find it! It's really important for me to find it again !
Neviskio is offline                         Send a private message to Neviskio
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Ascendancy?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Neviskio

nah I already checked that it's a lot different. The thing I clearly remember is that planets were "centered" on the screen and basically you had a top view on them and things orbitating, and it was really like watching just a circle not really trying to have a lot of strange positions going.

Also as I recall(might be wrong) it was a lot simpler even tough it still was a 4X or strategy.Not sure if turn based or rts.I clearly remember the satellites orbitating the planets being visible and the ships being in the same ring or an outer one as an important thing.Also I kinda recall you had to orbit other planets to attack them...maybe....or something like that.I recall some huge space ships compared to the satellite size but that doesn't make much sense I guess...if only I could take a snapshot of what I have in my mind to show you guys...would be easy to find that game.

I'm not even sure it was for dos, might've been for win 3.1 or win 95 too....surely not too recent since I recall it being kinda old school looking...

Strange thing I can add it's that I always get connected the harkonnen and ordos races from dune 2 while thinking about this game, might have had some races similar to these?Or maybe some colour schemes?I know they are clearly and completely different but I kinda feel that might be a good clue.

Now I could draw an "idea" of what I remember in paint but that could be painful to watch.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a really well-known game because everytime I look for it I always get the famous results and none are similar to that...

Edit: one that remotely looks like that is FreeOrion, but it isn't that.I'm talking just about the screenshot in which you see planets connected with arrows and things around them.But it's really a remote "kind of looking like that".So yeah...

Last edited by Neviskio; 04-02-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Alien Legacy?

It is flagged under our games as a strategy game, which fits 4X.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
Neviskio

hmmm it wasn't alien legacy but it's somehow similar, I remember you had planets a bit more zoomed in tough and it seemed to be a bit more modern graphic-like.

I feel we're somehow getting near but it's not in the ones here in abandonia it seems since I've checked all of the strategy ones(might be under another category tough, in the process of checking them all)

I strongly remember one of the menus which had the choices for construction of ships but can't remember a single ship name so yeah, not going to help that much.

I tried searching around for old games which had planets centered + satellite defense systems, but couldn't find a single good result since satellite brings out NASA/space things not related to games with any search try....

I remember the interfae might've been greenish or atleast that's what it comes to mind now, don't quote me on that tough, it's one of the least thing I'm sure.I kinda remember tough it might've been greenish grids.Also I strongly remember the game was heavily focused on combat, so might not even be a 4X and might've been rts or just some kind of strange thing...

I'll try to draw what I remember and make it an attachment here as soon as possible so maybe that can help...

Thank you guys still for trying, keep going for names, they might help me, since I might look for the game and reading description/screenshots I might remember something even if it's not the right game!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Kind of a long shot here... But did you look at Ascendancy?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Space Empires series and Stars! immediately come into my mind. Such sort of interface, or it is more modern?
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 14-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
horzor

Anacreon Reconstruction maybe ?

http://www.bibleclue.com/battle4earth.jpg
horzor is offline                         Send a private message to horzor
Old 17-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
gukan

Starships unlimited:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...hips-unlimited

or the v3 version:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...s.Unlimited.v3
gukan is offline                         Send a private message to gukan