Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
lukefromoz

Question

Gday mates k: , i got what is proberly a stupid question for you people but im asking it anyway LOL, i have downlaoded a couple games from this site (as i have only just discovered all these old games where on the net for free downlaods what a great thing k: k: )but i cant unzip or open any games i got from here :not_ok:
:blink:
EXAMPLE: Ultima Underworld 2 - Labyrinth of Worlds, went into my cd drive (where i copied games to so i dont haft to re-downlaod again) i can see the out side folder icon(with a ziper on it ie: a ZIPED FOLDER, opened that up and double clicked on install a black screen pops up for a second some white writing comes up on that then it shuts down ie: NO INSTALLATION is there a zip file i need to download somewhere maybe winzip or somethnig like it, i would of thought win XP would have had 1 in it allready, please help!!!!!!!!!

LUKE FROM AUSTRALIA :Titan:
lukefromoz is offline                         Send a private message to lukefromoz
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
FreeFreddy

Well, you can't simply run programs in a ZIP-file, you need first to create a folder and to move / extract all the files from the archive to that folder, then anything works fine (in DosBox get it on our site also)

Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
lukefromoz

:Brain: YES thats IT, thanks for the help, i new i had to extract them it wouldnt letme as it was trying to extract from the burned cd to the burn cd and would go through the extraction process (get error half way saying dont have permission).

Well incase you guys cant tell i am not a computer geniouse but hey i give it a shot. I would love to help out but im pretty stupid so i guess i will just make some donations of games and money i will see what i can do.

I allready have dosbox and d-fend the frontend for dosbox and i love it just found out about these abandone games last week and i have left my computer since (except for work ) and out off the couple sites i have visted i like this one the best, best layout and best games. I only wish i had broadband so i could get some of the bigger games im going tot haft to find some with it and get them to download and burn them to cd for me :evil: .

Luke from australia :Titan:
lukefromoz is offline                         Send a private message to lukefromoz
Old 09-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

you could just do them in bits with a download manager, although it's tricky to get one to work with the links from our server - I manage it with GetRight and a Firefox plugin, but for some reason I have to click the "Download" link 3 times before it's recognised...
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 09-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Well, you know what they say. "3rd time's the charm". How'd you do that though? heh, i'd love to get getright working for this site. Firefox's default downloader is a bit picky.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 09-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Yeah the downloader for Firefox was never properly developed, especially in regards to resuming downloads, one hopes that they will get it fixed eventually.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

You can always try my favourite browser, Opera. :whistle:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I used to be an Opera devotee, but Gmail forced me to change (doesn't fully support it, and didn't at all when I first got it) and now I like Firefox. I could write a quick tutorial for getting it to work if anyone felt it'd be useful.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone