Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #51
acadia

Dont worry - 6 hours later and im much more educated and have it working on dosbox LOL
acadia is offline                         Send a private message to acadia
Old 02-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #52
Guest_Matt_*

Awesome Game. LOL i still have the original box and disks from when i bought it - Shipped on 12 5.25" DD floppies. What an effort to install!

Also, with copy protection, Just hit enter... skips it for me

Old 17-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #53
Charley W

I've downloaded the game, and am having the same problem mentioned above with the copy protection. I've tried going through DOSBox and selecting 'Celie' and also printing out the fingerprint jpg and selecting the proper print each time. But I always get "Sorry, this performance is sold out." Anyone know how I can get past this?

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows XP.
Charley W is offline                         Send a private message to Charley W
Old 02-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #54
Hedegaard

The speaker beep is part of the nostalgia, in those days, many programmers used a lot of skill&tactics to get some decent sounds out of the speaker.

I have an old 386 machine which I use to play the old Sierra titles on, just like they were intended in the day.

If you want to disable the speaker, run the install, select SB or gravis Ultrasound, EVEN if you dont have these, as when you start the game, it comes up with a default "could not initiliaze ***** music card" and then skips that , but you end up having no sound.

The best way to get really nostalgic, is to buy a 2nd hand Roland MT-32 card as most Sierra titles had their games optimized for this sound-board.

As for Colonels Bequest, its very enriching, especially the text input interface, which required more fantasy and thinking on the players part. I'm thankful there never was a VGA version, as that would bar all the info you missed in the EGA version.
Also, point to be taken, CB isn't a "quest" as other quests, there are no points to collect, its about immersing yourself into a story and taking part in its unfolding. The goal therefore, is about becoming part of a plot, where you have influence.

A tip for newbies: You miss a lot of important info just stumbling into a room, so find those hidden passages and SPY on people when they're having a conversation!

Old 24-09-2006, 03:55 AM   #55
Lolita

I got this game along with the whole King's Quest Collection. I ended up playing the Laura Bow games instead of KQ..

It's a GREAT series, particularly for femme gamers, but my fiance enjoys playing it, too.
Lolita is offline                         Send a private message to Lolita
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #56
tammy

i'm near the end of act three in the game when the colonel is out of his room. I keep exiting and entering the room to get the elevator but it just never comes. anyone else had this problem? how to fix it

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #57
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

You have to do something with the obstacles on the mantelshelf. There's a cannon or something.
Old 14-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #58

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Matt_* @ Aug 2 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]246409[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Awesome Game. LOL i still have the original box and disks from when i bought it - Shipped on 12 5.25" DD floppies. What an effort to install!
[/b]
I remember that too! And all for 3MB! But I guess you really felt like you got your monies worth! k:

Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #59
Capo
Unconventional member

I cant pass the protection,Celie dont work.
What can i do ?
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #60
Capo
Unconventional member

I have passed the protection but now i cant hear a sound,i've tried also with VdmSound but nothing.
Suggestions ?
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo