Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #191

When I try to open it straight after the download and save, it tells me that access to the zipped file is denied (that's the error message).
(Side note: On the other computer I tried this on, it knew there was stuff in the folder, but it told me there were errors in the file and that it wouldn't unpack.)

It doesn't show up in my Program Files folder.

I do, however, see the Sim Earth folder when I try to download it again and open instead of save the file.

When I try to extract all from that, my computer gives me the error message that the zipped file is empty.

I also tried opening it, but there's no executable file to drop into DOSBox. I try to run the install file, but I have no way to save to an A or B drive, so when I get through the whole file it tells me "Please insert SimEarth install disk in drive A and press enter".
(Side note: the rest of this was the same on both computers).

I'm running Windows Vista on both computers.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #192
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
When I try to open it straight after the download and save, it tells me that access to the zipped file is denied (that's the error message).
Are you sure the file finished downloading when you were trying to open it?
Quote:
(Side note: On the other computer I tried this on, it knew there was stuff in the folder, but it told me there were errors in the file and that it wouldn't unpack.)
When I try to extract all from that, my computer gives me the error message that the zipped file is empty.
What are you using to extract the file contents?
Quote:
It doesn't show up in my Program Files folder.
It won't. Why do you expect it to?
Quote:
I also tried opening it, but there's no executable file to drop into DOSBox. I try to run the install file, but I have no way to save to an A or B drive, so when I get through the whole file it tells me "Please insert SimEarth install disk in drive A and press enter".
You should unpack the files to a directory, mount that directory in DOSBox (drag & drop is not very effective in the long term) and run setup.bat (also in DOSBox).
Quote:
I'm running Windows Vista on both computers.
What browser (or download manager) are you downloading the files with?
Could you upload the "corrupted" archive somewhere - say, to Mediafire - and post a link?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #193
Default Aquatic civs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Just remember most aquatic lifeforms won't have the capacity to develop fire and advance out of stone age. Except mollusks, which can live in the jungles as well as in the water.
Thanks for the explanation! Is this also the reason they won't settle any more cities than the first? (I evolved Radiates using a monolith and they didn't create more than one city. Even when I maximized Energy production and allocation to agriculture.)

Thanks, Daniel

Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #194
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

To be honest, I don't know for sure. I do believe the cities are dependent on the species' population.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #195
Frozenepic
Unhappy Really Strange Text

Hey guys, i downloaded SimEarth from here.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/185
When i finished downloading, i extracted the files to a random empty folder, ( With WINZIP), then, i installed it by running install.exe,( Or maybe it's called install.bat ), i had no idea what i had to do, so all i did was hope for the best and tried to install, and then, i did, i tried to run the game, by running the SIMEARTH.exe in the folder i installed it into. ( C:/SIMEARTH ), although, all these really strange texts show up, it looks like it's arabian text, although i'm not so sure, i think i'm missing the font, who knows.

TL;DR Version: The text in the game shows up really weird, like if it was arabian, although i'm not sure, any help?

Old 13-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #196
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Downloaded the game, installed it in Dosbox then ran the game in Dosbox everything was fine. If you are trying to run this in windows you will not get it to work run it in Dosbox. If you are running it in Dosbox we are going to need more info to help you out.

Also as a side note why is this game not an installed version? Is there a reason we aren't hosting it like we normally would?
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #197
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenepic View Post
Hey guys, i downloaded SimEarth from here.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/185
When i finished downloading, i extracted the files to a random empty folder, ( With WINZIP), then, i installed it by running install.exe,( Or maybe it's called install.bat ), i had no idea what i had to do, so all i did was hope for the best and tried to install, and then, i did, i tried to run the game, by running the SIMEARTH.exe in the folder i installed it into. ( C:/SIMEARTH ), although, all these really strange texts show up, it looks like it's arabian text, although i'm not so sure, i think i'm missing the font, who knows.

TL;DR Version: The text in the game shows up really weird, like if it was arabian, although i'm not sure, any help?
You didn't use DOSBox. Read: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

-- Reed Richards
Old 15-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #198
Frozenepic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Yeah, it was pretty obvious to run it with DOSbox, i just didn't know how to run it with DOSbox, ( It took me a whooping half hour to get it working! ), thanks anyway.

What sucks is that you cannot mount two things at a time.

Old 15-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #199
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
What sucks is that you cannot mount two things at a time.
You can have hard drive and CD-ROM (either real or IMGMOUNTed disc images) mounts for each letter from C to Y. That's over 20 mounts that can be used at the same time. This is in addition to A and B for floppy drives and floppy images mounted with IMGMOUNT.

-- Reed Richards
Old 16-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #200

Having a problem, installed the game with setup.bat through DosBox and everything went fine. I then tried to run Simearth.exe after mounting its directory to C but this shows up:

FATAL ERROR: PROGRAM ABORTED
FALLOC NOMEM O:_fmalloc(O)

The "O"s aren't actually "O"s, they have a little dot inside them, no idea what it is.

Anybody knows what to do?