Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
Miguel Lopes

I played this for hours and hours, afternoons and afternoons, months on end! I became a sort of expert on it, even developed a few scenarios to be tougher to beat.

There's actually a few strategies you can use to beat the game.

If you want to take a fort, use at least 1 squadron more than the number that's currently occupying the fort. For instance, if 2 squads are occupying it, attack the fort with 3. Then only 2 will engage the ones outside the fort, and the remaining one will enter with no problem. - This takes away the only major difficulty the game could have!

If attacking a fort from outside, use squads with only archers, in a formation where they are in the back and in the front.

If you only have archers, attacking a squad that has barbarians and knights, get your archers as far back as possible. That will give them time to hit the enemy.

If attacking a squad of mostly archers, use knights and barbarians, in a formation where they are at the front, so they don't have to walk much to reach the enemy archers - otherwise they'll be murdered by the arrows.

If attacking a fort that doesn't resupply troops, invade all neighbouring villages - the tropps in the fort will starve, and you'll attack with no problem.

Archers and Barbarians are the fastest moving, knights are the slowest - if you need to reach somewhere fast - make a squad only of archers or barbarians.

If you refuse a surrender, all the enemies troops will just throw themselves at you, dying... Not much fun, unless you're feeling sadistic. Sometimes it's fun to just exterminate them all!!!

This game was my favorite for a very long time! It even influenced the kind of game I would find entertaining much later - the only ones I actually enjoyed as much as TAAW have been Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology!

I used to play it in the early 90s, in my Olivetty PC-1, on a 3.5" floppy. One day my floppy got corrupted and I lost the loading screen and the campaigns, but it would still play, so I created a number of more difficult levels. If I find them I'll send them to your GREAT site!

Since most stuff had to be loaded from disk (scene transitions to battles and menu screens), I also created a 'fast' disk, that used RAM as a RAMdisk and copied all the stuff there, before starting the game. Then the entire game moved much quicker from scene to scene! Great fun!!!

Finally, if anyone has this in Apple II or Mac format, I'd like to know, as I collect old computers, and the AII and Mac LC are among my favorites - I'd like to play this on those machines!

Keep up the great work, guys!

Miguel Lopes
http://miklops.redirectme.net
http://pwp.netcabo.pt

Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 AM   #12
hessekopp
Abandonia nerd

i hate this game! tsssss. nobody have to love every old game. but hey, when ya love it, then you love it! :bye:
hessekopp is offline                         Send a private message to hessekopp
Old 13-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
Weide

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Jan 24 2005, 03:09 PM
hmmmm...when I try to play the game, it is like, in super ultra turbo speed mode...any suggestions?
just use dosbox

DosBox

Old 25-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
thor1310

wow...this was the second game I ever owned for my PC (after Wizardry 1), and I spent an entire summer trying to figure out how to beat it...i think i could only beat up to the third level commander, whoever that was, but after him, i got my behind soundly kicked every time.

Old 25-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
Data
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Weide @ May 13 2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ @ Jan 24 2005, 03:09 PM
hmmmm...when I try to play the game, it is like, in super ultra turbo speed mode...any suggestions?
just use dosbox

DosBox
and press ctrl-f11 a few times to slow dosbox down.

Last edited by arete; 23-10-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: broken html
Data is offline                         Send a private message to Data
Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
Tempus 2 Khronos

Try these two links below for a copy of the manual (I created this) and some extra scenarios to play. There is also a history of the game and many screen shots. I suggest you create a boot disk and play AAOW from diskette using the Moslo utility (also available on this site). A boot disk is downloadable from Abandonia. I've done this already. Works great.

http://j.lahmy.tripod.com/aaow/

http://j.lahmy.tripod.com/aaow/subp01.htm

Old 28-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
Munyul
Wink

Hi all,

TAAW was not my first game, but it was the first strategy game that I loved! The game ruled! And the fact that it was simple (as in options) was for me one of it's strong points! I personally think that a lot of todays games go overboard with possible options... less is more!

Some tricks/rules that will help you complete all the levels quite easily:
1. As Miguel Lopes pointed out, place your archers at the back and place your barbarians and knights at the front.

2. When you grow your army (in the forts), keep barbarians and knights together and seperate all archers out into thier own groups.

3. Never watch your barbarians or knights fight, they have a much better winning chance when you don't watch.

4. ALWAYS watch your archers fight! The best, dirty, trick is to watch your archers fight and then just before the enemy barbarians & knights reach your archers, press R to retreat, and then attack them again. When you attack again, the enemy barbarians and knights need to walk the entire distance again to reach you! And again, when they get to close, retreat and repeat! Yes a dirty dirty trick, but hey .... it works :evil:

ps. DOSBox rules! And old game that I created now runs again under Windows XP :Brain: http://www.planetquake.com/munyul if anyone is interested :whistle:

Old 06-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
KiltJoy

This was my first real PC strategy game. I learned strategy and have been addicted to strategy games ever since. I would definitley rate it higher than 3. It was excellent (for it's day) I understand if no one likes the graphics today.

Ancient Art of War in the Skys was ok. My next addiction was Colonial Conquest

Old 13-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #19
Steve

I loved this game. I downloaded the file and it didnt work!?!?! Anyone have any ideas? I have pentium4 windows XP.

Old 19-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
GunshySlycat1

I can't figure out how to use dos box. Running it the way it is makes it go really fast and I have but can't really use dos box... 1/5
GunshySlycat1 is offline                         Send a private message to GunshySlycat1