Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Chef Boyardee
Game freak

Send a message via MSN to Chef Boyardee

I decided that it might be fun to upload on my host an album every week for people to download and write a short review of the album for people here at Abandonia. This week I uploaded Ulver, an experimental band that has some awesome stuff. You can download it from the link below.

Ulver

For those of you who know my tastes, they know I like power metal. This is the opposite, it's experimental music but it's incredibly awesome. I can't quite explain what genre this music belongs in, it's an amazing blend of ambience, ethereal beats, and sometimes ghost-like singing. It doesn't really matter what type of music you listen to because this album is just awesome. Even though this album doesn't feature a single guitar, it's still pretty awesome and is definitely in my top ten. Check it out for some seriously awesome stuff.
Chef Boyardee is offline                         Send a private message to Chef Boyardee
Old 18-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Chef Boyardee
Game freak

Well nobody seemed to like the music from LAST WEEK and since I just got home I uploaded a new album that maybe you'll all like a little more. It's a dual album, the Glorious Burden and Gettysburg, by one of the few good American power metal bands called Iced Earth. Check it out here.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden and Gettysburg

This album is absolutely incredible, the sheer power of Iced Earth just makes their music an awesome wall of sound to admire. Songs like "Declaration Day" and "Valley Forge" make the album the Glorious Burden just insane and every single song on Gettysburg is way awesome. If you're new to power metal this is an excellent introduction band and if you're not new this is just another awesome band to add to your list.

The guitars are both very heavy and melodic, an awesome combination, and the singer's voice is powerful but clear, difficult to attain. One of my friends jokingly said that it sounded like Power Ranger music (he was, of course, wrong =P). If you couldn't tell by the album name, the music is about American history, primarily the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, but they're still awesome nevertheless. But words can't truly define this music so I'll upload a song by them, Valley Forge. It's an excellent song, one of their best.

Iced Earth - Valley Forge

If the solo in that song didn't drive you mad with how amazing it was, you don't deserve to call yourself a metal fan! Anyway, check this album out. Hopefully I'll get more of a response this week than I did last week.
Chef Boyardee is offline                         Send a private message to Chef Boyardee
Old 18-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
FreeFreddy

Yes, Iced Earth - Valley Forge is good one.
I'll try Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden and Gettysburg tomorrow out, though, as it it 100 MB... :blink: That takes some time.

Old 19-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is interesting. What I remember from your own productions, you made electronic music, nothing connected to metal... so where did this come from now?

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 19-09-2004, 02:03 AM   #5
Chef Boyardee
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Kosta@Sep 19 2004, 12:42 AM
This is interesting. What I remember from your own productions, you made electronic music, nothing connected to metal... so where did this come from now?
Hmmm? A lot of my music is metal, you just didn't hear it! =P

I haven't done any on the guitar yet because I'm not good enough but I've got a few songs. Here's one of them...
...here.
Old 22-09-2004, 03:43 AM   #6
Chef Boyardee
Game freak

It's Wednesday, which means it's time for another Album of the Week again (although nobody listens to them =P). This week I've chosen to upload the album "Traveler" by The Lord Weird Slough Feg.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg is an incredibly obscure name in the world of metal, but this doesn't mean that it should be ignored. Artistically, they play like the older bands, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Ozzy, so if you're looking for something with an almost older or more mature feel, this is definitely the band for you. Heavy guitars with absolutely astounding drums make this album incredible. You can tell it hasn't been editted heavily in studios, that it's done through a labor of love and not through machines and programs that change everything.

What's incredible about this album though are the artist's voices. I found them to be beautiful in most cases, and the way the voices come together to form chords with not only themselves but also with guitars is just fascinatingly beautiful. I found myself entranced by the singing style more than once, particularly on the song "Vargr Moon". The harmonious blending of voices is just so incredible and unique that it really sucks you into the music.

One of the really fun aspects of this album, though, is that it's based off of a 70's role playing game called Traveler. When I listen to these lyrics, I get so many ideas for writing stories. Listening to this album is like listening to someone reading a science-fiction novel, it's really cool in a nerdy way. All of the songs are about how the mysterious "Professor" is trying to commit genocide by waging a gene war on the aliens. Really cool stuff actually. Sample it below.

The Professor's Theme (my personal favorite)
The Final Gambit

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveler

Well, enjoy!
Old 22-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Wolhay

I've listened to 'The Professor's Theme' and 'The Final Gambit' now. I'm quite enjoying them in the happy feel good way of Iron Maiden and the science fiction theme is cool since it differ from the usual fantasy and myths.
Wolhay is offline                         Send a private message to Wolhay
Old 22-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
FreeFreddy

Say, Chef, are you sure uploading this commercial tracks is legal? In Germany at least uploading / downloading music that is sold in stores is fully illegal and you have to pay quite large sums of money as punishment, so I suggest you to be more careful with that in case you don't know for sure if it's legal.

Old 22-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, the ISP can't monitor all traffic, and as long as the locations are stored here, deep in the forums, no one will mind

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 22-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Chef Boyardee
Game freak

No, it's not legal, but I'll tell you something. I stopped buying albums until I started downloading them. I wouldn't buy CDs until I actually started downloading CDs from bands that sounded interesting. I learned a little about their style and I started buying their CDs at stores. If I hadn't started downloading them I wouldn't have ever started buying them.