Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2005, 04:33 AM   #31
Ferna182
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Ferna182

an easier way to mount directories to dosbox it's to drag the folder to the dosbox executable then release... dosbox will open with that directory already mounted.... then you use basic DOS commands:

"dir" --> Show a list of files and subdirectories
"cd (directory name)" --> Open the directory you want *
"cd.." --> Close that subdirectory

* You may notice that directory names larger than 8 characters will be named this way:
For example, "Day of the tentacle" will be: "Dayoft~1" it's ok... in DOS you can't name a directory with more than 8 characters.... to load a directory with a long name, simple type the first 6 characters of the directory, followed by "~1" you can make "~" by pressing Alt+Gr + the key at the left of 1 OR by pressing Alt + 126 .......

It's even easier than it looks like..... good luck... with some practice you can easily learn how to use DOS .... it very easy
Ein Platz für dein Herz
Ist schon reseviert
Ferna182 is offline                         Send a private message to Ferna182
Old 31-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #32
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sure it's easy. Or maybe it's just us old folk long past expiry date who got used to the command line so much...

Anyway, the command line and its usefulness was one of the reasons I like Total Commander so much.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #33
blazer-glory
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

But are the DOS program actually installed on your drive or just virtually. Will I have to 'install' them everytime I want to play them again?
blazer-glory is offline                         Send a private message to blazer-glory
Old 31-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #34
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you mean to ask if you'll need to mount the directory each time, then the answer is yes.

If you don't want to do that each time, you could get D-fend but I never used it.
Old 31-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #35
Wael
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 31 2005, 04:29 PM
If you mean to ask if you'll need to mount the directory each time, then the answer is yes.
If he means to ask if he´ll need to mount the directory each time, then the answer might be no /-

He may add the required command lines directly into the config file /-
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 31-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #36
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That would really not be recommended unless he really want to play only one and only one game.

Or if he wish to have, for example, the directory where all his old games are. But he would still need to dir and cd his way to the right directory etc., which is about the same for me. If I was bothered enough, I would create batch files to counter this. But adding only a single little line everytime I start DOSBox does not bother me at all. :angel:
Old 20-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #37
supermaitro
Lurker

You guys complicate things a little too much.
In the DosBOX readme you can find something easy that is:

In windows explorer, drag the game's directory into the DosBox executable, and then from the command prompt that should appear, run the game's .exe.

Simple as that!:whistle:
supermaitro is offline                         Send a private message to supermaitro
Old 20-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #38
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Oh, you mean like this? How strange of us to have overlooked that option...

Old 05-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #39
Morbid_Pathologist
Forum hobbit

so far theres one thing i havent seen mentioned here, and i may as well mention it...

running a DOS game from a CD

ill use Crusader : No Remorse as an example

I first ripped the CD with Alcohol120% as an ISO (dont worry, i legally own the game) then used alcohol120% to mount it to e:, then i loaded up dosbox and did the following...

mount c: c:\

mount d: e:\ -t cdrom

then i went d:
install.exe

the installation came up, i installed it, so on, note, i mounted c: so it knows where to install.

then i was back in "dos", so i typed in crusader, the voila, i could once more, watch the cheezy acting....works with command and conquer too, but...why do that when you could play the gold edition using the XPPatch
Morbid_Pathologist is offline                         Send a private message to Morbid_Pathologist