Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
Jonny D
Talking

This was a cool game. I still have the CD around somewhere... If the copy-protection codes aren't right, leave a post here and I'll upload them.

The most time-consuming part wasn't the gameplay or strategizing, it was definitely the main screen animations (which you can thankfully turn off). But what's up with being able to max out your character's stats? Why do they allow that? I didn't like that and I didn't like the stinky magic items. Some were cool, but when the computer just uses 50 thunderstorms on you (or you do the same) it's really annoying (not to mention you don't know how much you have left). The boots of speed and the arrows of teleport were pretty fun. Oddly, I had more fun using a group of elite troops than heroes. The elites can take a severe pounding and are easier to get. They can single-handedly beat several level 4 or so heroes, too. Another annoying part was all the sound effects. Listen to the battle sounds, then watch Monty Python's Holy Grail (black knight scene). I can't stand recycled sound effects. There was a surprisingly low number of spells in this game, too. I guess I'm spoiled by Master of Magic.

This is a great game, though. One of my favorites. Multiplayer is good as long as you memorize the two control schemes and I love destroying castles with a fireball-wielding mage. The combat here reminded me a lot of "Gladiator" for PC (around the same time). Does anyone remember that game?

Old 28-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
Guest_Rorschach_*

Thanks for the game, an old favourite!

I remember sitting up all night saturday night with 4 friends having a ton of fun with this game back when it was special to own a PC. We never finished our games of course, that is virtually impossible.

Now I still find some elements to be very good. Although there is an artificial depth to the game... Whoever wants to do the same map over again when one have finally managed to win it once? There is a "random" map option but that only shifts each kingdom's inherent unit types / races. And having your "character" level up only adds more money and higher level heroes for the rerun.

I miss having a deeper understanding of why dwarves or orcs are preferred over ordinary fighters for example. They seem tougher in action but I would like to know the numbers... Maybe just more hitpoints? I also had some problems keeping my heroes alive during quests They seemed to be supposed to go for lvl 1 quests at lvl 1-5, lvl2 quests for lvls 6-10 etc.. But after losing a 13 lvl fighter hero in a quest they tend to get more important on map in battles. A 13 lvl fighter with Boots of speed really clears out those elves in a hurry!

A tip for everyone. After getting your troops to veteran level they should always be accompanied by a good number of regulars so when you conquer a province they don't just all die occupying it You can't just steamroll everything with your fresh Elite orcs. I like that.

Old 29-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I've already done that, and it still doesn't work.[/b]
Did you try the keyboard shortcut for forced mouse lock-on?
It's listed in the readme, CTRL + F~something (I think F10, but better check first).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #14

There are some nice features in this game but after some time it just becomes unplayable. Your opponents love nuking you all the time with some magic stuff. Every turn you rebuild what they destroyed while having to watch those extremely annoying and time-consuming animations. At some point they will build castles everywhere which severly slow down your progress. Normal fighters can´t enter castles so they will all just die without other units supporting them. Rangers are a rather rare unit so you will have to rely on (almost useless?) battering rams or catapults which take 4 turns until they are completed. If you are simulating the battles you will always loose them after the fight. Or at least most. Also, one quarter of the map consists of an ocean covered with small islands. It takes a hundred years to conquer all those as you have to secure the whole coastline plus these islands (since they can be attacked from every country close to the sea). Additionaly there is some even more annoying bug which causes your heroes to disappear. This happens whenever you send a hero on a quest and save the game. Upon loading he is just gone.
Although it seemed nice at first this game didn´t turn out to be all that great for me.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Every turn you rebuild what they destroyed while having to watch those extremely annoying and time-consuming animations[/b]
Yes, after some time I found that quite anoying too....and the travelling to islands is also very anoying.....I came to the same conclusion - this could've been great, but ends up being just average - though it wins some of it back when playing multi-player.....

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted
Old 22-08-2006, 03:22 AM   #16

If you want this game to work in DOSbox you have to use the alt-ENTER shortcut to play in full screen otherwise the mouse doesn't work.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #17
DWGuest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 22 2006, 02:22 AM) [snapback]250112[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If you want this game to work in DOSbox you have to use the alt-ENTER shortcut to play in full screen otherwise the mouse doesn't work.
[/b]
Actually, if you run the sound configuration program first the mouse will work in windowed mode.

I have a lot worse problems with glitchy sound than anything else.
It is a great game, but it doesn't really get interesting untill your campaign mode character is leveled.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
Blue Devil
Lurker

I´ve tried it on XP and it works. The codes work too, but the sound doesn´t (I guess that using dosbox will solve that) but ALL the battles seem to be automatic (Can´t get any control over them ). Even more, while I have to built a keep (at least) to maintain every piece of land I get the PC characters seem to expand freely, withot this problem. I´ve even lost "counties" where I had troops stationed (no building yet, I admit it).
I´ll be thankfull for any help you can give me (and I apoligize if my english is not too good)
Blue Devil is offline                         Send a private message to Blue Devil
Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #19

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DWGuest @ Oct 3 2006, 01:32 AM) [snapback]259018[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 22 2006, 02:22 AM) [snapback]250112[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Actually, if you run the sound configuration program first the mouse will work in windowed mode.

I have a lot worse problems with glitchy sound than anything else.
It is a great game, but it doesn't really get interesting untill your campaign mode character is leveled.
[/b][/quote]

running the sound config worked 4 me, thanxs

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #20

Greetings,

I was a bit disappointed, yet I am a BIRTHRIGHT 1.4 fan for ure. Maybe that is why I expected much more.

I do not call it strategy to conquer all and throw it to the front, that has a numb impact.

Some cute pictures (for that time) and funny implementation of heroes (typical D&D player classes).

The battles have some "unqiue" touch, I agree.

I personally remain with Birthright.

Andrè M. Pietroschek