Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervez View Post
And to think the only old game I really own is Ultima VII: Serpent Isle...

Don't blame me, I was too young to purchase stuff like that when they were avaivable!
With so many independent developers and plenty of competition in distribution outlets, PC games had lots of floor space back then. Easily two-thirds of a store three times the size of the current GameStop monopolies was given over to those games, with the rest devoted to applications. It seemed to me much more common back then to find adults searching for games than now, where young teens snicker (through their noses) if anybody over the age of 17 enters a game store. Whom do they think makes the games they play?

In fact, the game portion of the store was divided up by genre: RPGs on one wall, adventure titles over there, strategy titles over there, etc. And most games came with a lot of content back then, too: huge manuals, maps and foldouts, little trinkets, sometimes fake diaries, etc. Some of this of course still occurs, but usually only among indie publishers. I'm working my way now through the PDF manual for Forge of Freedom. Okay, it's not printed out in the download I paid for, but still, it's intense.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Jerry123

Great collection! Great style! I dont have that much space, but I also have a few really old games, Ultima series and similar vintages. Ultima IV, for example. I didnt buy it personally at the time... it was a Christmas present, I was too small to spend that much money myself :-)
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #23
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

When I moved into my new house I set up a display room for my collection. Now the room isn't big enough. Do you think I have a problem?

Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #24
MinigunFiend
Forum hobbit

Makes me a little embarrassed at what I thought was a good collection of my own :P

I also notice that you want a CIB UK copy of Necrodome, which I have.
Not sure if I'll part with it or not.
MinigunFiend is offline                         Send a private message to MinigunFiend
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

I remember my parents throwing out my boxes and manuals of Wolfenstein 3D, Blakestone, Doom 1&2, Age of Empires 2... all my games. I remember telling them that someday they will be worth something...
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #26
Tseki

Blaa blaa

Last edited by Tseki; 15-03-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #27
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

For anyone who is a collector or for anyone interested in trading games you should check out this site.

Game Trading Zone

I have been a member for a few months now. Doesn't cost anything and has quite a few members. Definitely an international flavor. Has nice tools to put your collection on line as well. Lets you set up three categories 1. Collection 2. Available 3. Wanted
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Meister View Post
I remember my parents throwing out my boxes and manuals of Wolfenstein 3D, Blakestone, Doom 1&2, Age of Empires 2... all my games. I remember telling them that someday they will be worth something...
Only if you meant to sell them, and no longer had an interest in keeping them. I've thrown out the boxes of most of my games over the years though I've always kept the manuals (and odds and ends) that came with them. In a very few cases, I kept the boxes, as with Magic Candle I, Ultima IV, and Might and Magic III. These won't be sold--so I'll never make any money off them. And that's fine with me.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #29
MinigunFiend
Forum hobbit

The only games I still own in full size boxes are:
  • Sinistar: Unleased
  • Grand Prix 3
  • Half-Life (generations and blue shift)
  • Little Big Adventure 2
  • The Last Dynasty
  • Forced Alliance
  • Detritus
  • Quake 2
  • Necrodome
  • GTA
  • Syndicate
  • Human Onslaught
  • Simon the Sorcerer (1 + 2)

..OK now that I list them there are more than I remember, but still not many.
MinigunFiend is offline                         Send a private message to MinigunFiend
Old 01-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #30
Office_Monk
Game freak

That's a whole lot more than what I have; my oldest is either The Chaos Engine or The Humans, my youngest is Jade Empire. In between there's like 25 games (two of them are gems in my eyes: Expect No Mercy and The Lords Of Tantrazz, the latter is real hard but not widely known I guess)

Last edited by Office_Monk; 01-02-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Office_Monk is offline                         Send a private message to Office_Monk