Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #1401
styer27

Send a message via AIM to styer27 Send a message via MSN to styer27

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe@Jun 7 2005, 10:07 PM
If you target terrorist ships first, the chance of losing countries will reduce. Avoiding them to make bases also helps too. The way I see, all those 5 aren't how agreements are made, since I experienced all of those without losing the respective countries.
Yes that comes under common scense of course, what im talking about are certain situations, not overall tactics. If im in the early stages of the game with a hyper decoder and i detect 3 ships all with the same mission, interdiction. My Q is: how much time or activity must go on before the breaking point is reached and the freindly country signs with the aliens? We all know that X-com finds out at the end of the month in the report, but what is the actuall phisical game calculation that makes it tick over?

Ive had times when shooting them down and killing them all before reaching base has worked, but its not 100% effective, its like they get a radio signal off just in time or something, so that would lead someone to belive it must be the actuall landing in the country that causes it, but then i made it my priority to shoot them down without them landing and yet that was not 100% effective either, so maybe it has more to do with the ships actuall presence over the country. Yet the tide turns sometimes and a small crraft on interdict mission full of snakemen will land, negotiate and take off without me touching them, yet the country does not turn, but hardly ever will a very large craft full of etherial fail at turning the country.

So in all, there must be a certain limit that a country can "hold off" peace negotiations untill they finnaly give in, i wanna know the critical turning point, surely a circut-jockey out there has studied this games schematics and knows the info.
styer27 is offline                         Send a private message to styer27
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #1402
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

No, you have to wipe out all of the ships that are doing that. It doesn't matter how much effort you put in, shoot them down and then kill ABSOLUTELY EVERY ONE OF THE ALIENS AT THE SITES.

If you lose a ground battle then I think that they continue on with the mission. I might be wrong though.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #1403
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

If you retreat from a ground battle the UFO if was crashed dis-appears, if it had landed then it should continue with its mission, though if you had an interceptor sitting on it then the interceptor would engage.

Im not too sure that alien infiltration works all the time, i think ive let a few infiltration UFO's get out of my reach but I still havent lost any sponsor countries. If you generally keep a good performance then you should be able to keep your countries safe, that and dont let too many infilitration ships past.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #1404
jimmy7512
Forum hobbit

I'm stuck, I have got approximately 5 alien battleships(Etherals) which have landed and they are terrorise ships, My avenger is on repairs for taking one of these already and my skyranger has engaged one of them and my squad panicked when I tried to go inside their ship. :help:
jimmy7512 is offline                         Send a private message to jimmy7512
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #1405
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy7512@Jun 12 2005, 10:06 AM
I'm stuck, I have got approximately 5 alien battleships(Etherals) which have landed and they are terrorise ships, My avenger is on repairs for taking one of these already and my skyranger has engaged one of them and my squad panicked when I tried to go inside their ship. :help:
they will stop panicing after a while. make sure you find the alien that is watching your troops and kill him. that way you will limit this psionic attacks they are making to your team.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 13-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #1406
jimmy7512
Forum hobbit

Well, I completed the ground invasion and used the tip from gregor(thanks) but it is now the 31st jan 2000 and the other etheral terrorise ships are gone and i have now lost china, germany and india :angry: because of the amount of etheral terrorise ships.
jimmy7512 is offline                         Send a private message to jimmy7512
Old 13-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #1407
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Ach, hard luck mate.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 14-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #1408
Kimbo

Well... When I last(several years) played UFO, I tried to capture the aliens ALIVE... and thats really hard but it pays of AFTER the research. I remember to specially go after the leaders (or navigaters) to get some good intel on the aliens. (The only alien I never got was the first "very small ship"... the one man ship... think it was a scout-ship..:ranting: if some one knows I would be happy to know about it)

Next thing to do is to establish a new base on the other side of the world.. to cover most of the world... (I normally starts in central-Europe, and second base somewhere in Asia)

Hope this ever helps!

Kim
Kimbo is offline                         Send a private message to Kimbo
Old 15-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #1409
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

yeah, getting navigators and engineers as soon as possible is a very, very useful thing to do. With luck, you'll have a hyperwave decoder in the first or second month and as soon as that happens you KNOW what you're going to come up against.

And that's always handy.
Old 15-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #1410
Christian
Abandonia nerd

I'm really desperate in getting this to work so I'm writing here as well as in the Troubleshooting forum. Hopefully someone can help. I'm having trouble running UFO: EU correctly. I've tried running both .exe-files both naturally and in DOSBox but they don't work correctly. The yellow one has a speed issue (flows too fast) and the blue has a graphic issue (smuthered all over the screen). In DOSBox none of them runs since they "can't be run in DOS". I've tried running them in Win95 compatability mode but that didn't work either. I'm using WinXP.
Christian is offline                         Send a private message to Christian