Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally posted by Sboy@Mar 21 2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
1. I realize that you start with 11 picks, and if you choose myrran, you can go there. How many life books do you need so that you can get stream of life (I found it in a node eventually)?
Stream of life is a rare spell. So you need at least 2 life spell books to have a chance of getting it. Either it is already in your spell book (unlikely with only 2 spellbooks), or you trade it , or you find it.

If you have only one life book, you can never get rare life spells, unless you find another life book.

Of course with only 2 life books, you get only one rare spell researchable in your spellbook, so chances are you won't have it.

If you devote all the remaining 9 books to life, you will have access to research 9 rare spells. There are 10 rare spells, so there is a small chance stream of life won't be in your initial spellbooks.

Quote:
2. If you put your hero in any town, does their casting ability help you research/cast spells?
Heroes add half their spell ability to your Skill (though they cannot add more than 100% of your base skill). They don't help research, unless they have sage ability.

Quote:
3. I saw some posts about adamatium or something, I know sometimes my troops couldn't kill some creatures (weapon immunity I think), and I had to rely on magic. What is this about adamatium mines? or weapon/armor?
Weapon immunity is pretty wimpy. It raises your shields to 10, against units without magical/holy/admanite/mithral etc weapons. If the unit has this almost of defense or more it doesn't do anything.

Still If you start with Alchemy, all your normal units start with magical weapons and +1 to hit. Units built in cities with alchemist guild's also gain that perk.

Better yet, start a town with access to Mithril or adamantium mines, then build an alchemist guild this gives even bigger bonuses.

Mithril weapons - +1 attack , +1 defense
Admanitum weapons +2 attack, +2 defense

This is per figure !!

Also, is there a max. number of books you can have? I know I had 4 chaos books and 3 life books (plus sage and some other special power), but I found 2 sorcery books and 1 life book (something like that). Is it possible to have more than 11 books? Also, I take it you can only find only nature/sorcery/chaos books, because I don't know if you can find life/death nodes. So should I go for more life books and less chaos books because I can pick them up later?[/quote]

Old 23-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #222

Quote:
4. About random events, I had a city that a random event always happened, it was plague (happened twice in a row!!) and then suddenly it got health boom (double pop increase). Also, I conquered a lot of crappy towns, and they had very high rebellion rates, so I put 8 troops to try to minimize their uprising, but some of my other towns suddenly rebelled (my own dark elf towns nearby) and just became independed, so I had to go back and whack them. I solved that problem using stream of life on the rebelling towns.
Dark elves rebel like crazy, when they conquer other races, or when they are conquered. Halflings are best if you don't want to worry about rebels.

Any way is to cast Just Cause, that reduces rebels by one in all cities. Also build shrines,temples etc of course.

As far as i know which cities rebel and become independent is a random event. It can happen even if the city has no rebels. Only 3 types of city can't be hit by this event.
Cities with your wizard tower, cities with where you have more fanastic creatures than normal units, and cities with heroes.

Quote:
5. What is this banish spell to banish a enemy wizard? Do you sometimes get free spells? How about free books?
As far as I know there is no spell to banish a wizard, unless you mean Spell of Mastery which banishes all wizards and end the game straight away. Alternatively If you capture the enemy wizard's tower, he can return by casting the spell of return if he has mana reseves.

Quote:
I think if you want to win on impossible playing a fair game, you'd need a huge huge number of towns (for dark elves) and maybe some sorcery magic to spell blast any 'bad' spells. I found allying with trusty computers was good because they don't suddenly attack you.
Or kill the enemy fast. At impossible levels, I find the wizards turn on you pretty fast anyway.[/quote]

Quote:
Also, is there a max. number of books you can have? I know I had 4 chaos books and 3 life books (plus sage and some other special power), but I found 2 sorcery books and 1 life book (something like that).
The absolute maximum number of books you can have is 13. Once you reach this limit you cannot find more spellbooks. You are also limited to 5 retorts I think.

Quote:
Also, I take it you can only find only nature/sorcery/chaos books, because I don't know if you can find life/death nodes.
No you can find life and death books too (but not both obviously). Life books can be found in fallen temples and lost temples. Death books can be found in dungeons,abandon keeps and anicent ruins. Wizard's towers, monster lair, mysteries cave can contain any type of spell book.

What treasures you get is based randomly and on the strength of the opposition, nodes tend to have stronger opposition, so you tend to get more good stuff there.

Old 23-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Mar 21 2006, 06:08 PM
It's been quite a few years since I last played Mom, but already some response on your questions, no doubt some other people in here can explain in far more detail... Edit: note that there's also a link to the manual here on abandonia

1. There's indeed a limit to the # of spell books. 11 in normal cases, but I seem to remember there were exceptions (amongst other depending on your initial characteristics?)...

2. (Some) heroes can boost your spellcasting ability regardless of their location, I believe it's their spellcaster ability that matters. Damn, I suck at explaining this, but it's all become so vague with time

3. Adamantium and mythrill: can only be obtained by building cities near the appropriate mines (crystal-like icons on the map, hover your mouse over the tiles and they'll give you the explanation of what's on that tile). Units trained there will get quite a boost from this. Basically it's a free and continuous power-up, especially valuable early in the game when you don't have access to all-powerful creatures and your heroes aren't that impressive yet.

4. Aren't behemoths the bordeaux/purple magical creatures? Tough, quite a powerful attack but I'd still prefer drakes. Think you have to be into nature spells in order to cast behemoths (except through the usual alternative ways of acquiring some spell). Some races are far more likely to rebel, a.o. dark elves. Choose your buildings in conquered towns wisely, that helps a lot (e.g. some buildings lower the unrest).

5. Banishing spell: one way to get rid of an enemy wizard, though he can return. In any case it takes him out for quite some time. Takes a lot of time to research though. You'll be warned whenever an opposing wizard starts researching it.
You can get free spells and books from conquering nodes (though you have to be really lucky + it's usually the best guarded nodes that offer the greatest reward) or of course trade spells with other wizards.
Quote:
It's been quite a few years since I last played Mom, but already some response on your questions, no doubt some other people in here can explain in far more detail... Edit: note that there's also a link to the manual here on abandonia
There's also an excellent official strategy guide , if you are lucky enough to own it.

Old 23-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #224
Privateer

That's strange. I seem to recall 13 as the maximum number of books you can have. :blink: True, you can only start off with a maximum of 11, but the AI can start with more on higher difficulty settings, and you can get more books in nodes and ruins up to the maximum of 13. That's why it may be a good strategy to start with fewer books and more retorts, hoping to find a lot of extra books and boost it to 13 anyway eventually. Of course, you can find retorts as well, but I don't think they are interchangable with books, so if you conquer a node that is supposed to have books in it, but you already have 13 books on hand, you get nothing, AFAIK.

Old 23-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #225
Gamefreak

Yes the retorts may be found instead of books, it's just a matter of always saving before a node battle and if you don't like what you get, load and try again. Usually if you don't have full number of books yet you'll get books mostly and the retorts only when you have all books full. Sometimes there's a chance though to still get a retort if you don't have all 13 books or 1 retort and 1 book after battles with especially many powerful enemies, but the chance is small.
In any case you'll get always something out of the nodes or life/death enemies unless you have all 13 books AND maximum possible number of retorts which is 5 or 6, I believe.

Old 23-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamefreak@Mar 23 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes the retorts may be found instead of books, it's just a matter of always saving before a node battle and if you don't like what you get, load and try again. Usually if you don't have full number of books yet you'll get books mostly and the retorts only when you have all books full. Sometimes there's a chance though to still get a retort if you don't have all 13 books or 1 retort and 1 book after battles with especially many powerful enemies, but the chance is small.
In any case you'll get always something out of the nodes or life/death enemies unless you have all 13 books AND maximum possible number of retorts which is 5 or 6, I believe.
Maximum retorts is 6. Maximum number of spellbooks is 13.

You basically need only 3 spellbooks in 4 schools = 3*4=12 spellbooks to gain access to very rare spells of all 4 schools + arcane.

Ultimate setup would be something like this.

SSSSLLLNNNCCC + 6 retorts of your choosing

Say

1)Warlord
2) Divine Power
3) Channeler
4) Myrann
5) Articier
6) Sorcery Mastery

That's 13+2+2+2+3+1+1 = 24 picks!

Old 23-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest+Mar 23 2006, 06:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 23 2006, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gamefreak@Mar 23 2006, 06:01 PM
Maximum retorts is 6. Maximum number of spellbooks is 13.

You basically need only 3 spellbooks in 4 schools = 3*4=12 spellbooks to gain access to very rare spells of all 4 schools + arcane.

Ultimate setup would be something like this.

SSSSLLLNNNCCC + 6 retorts of your choosing

Say

1)Warlord
2) Divine Power
3) Channeler
4) Myrann
5) Articier
6) Sorcery Mastery

That's 13+2+2+2+3+1+1 = 24 picks! [/b][/quote]
Ah. A mistake, you can actually get 25 picks because famous is worth 2 picks.

Old 23-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #228
SBoy

Thanks for your replies to my huge question. One more question, what is a retort used for?

Old 23-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #229
Privateer

Quote:
Originally posted by SBoy@Mar 23 2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your replies to my huge question. One more question, what is a retort used for?
It depends on what the specific retort is. Basicly a 'retort' is like a special skill of your wizard, such as Artificer, Alchemy, Warlord, etc.

Of those 3, Artificer halves the cost of creating artifacts through a spell and starts you off with the artifact creation spell from the begining; Alchemy lets you convert mana to gold at a ratio of 1:1 instead of 2:1, which means you no longer lose half of the resource when you convert from one form to the other; and Warlord makes all your normal (i.e. non-magical) units be 1 level higher than usual, which is very useful (that's why it costs 2 picks).

Old 24-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #230
Richrf

This is the best game ever!!!

You get a lot more from it , if you study the manuals...

Though 1.31 changed a few things, it's still mostly valid.