Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #121
Servasius

I bought this game when it first came out, it actually got me through the school summer holidays (i was grounded for six weeks for a crime i didn't commit !) that was over ten years ago, and pretty much i have to say it has to be the best turn based war game ive ever played. The only problem i have with the game isnt one of style or substance, its one of programming.

Back in the day, me and three school buddies would spend far too much of our spare time hot seat gaming whenever we had the chance. This was all well and good, but the game had a nasty habit of locking up, crashing, freezing, skipping turns and just generally dying on you somewhere near turn 150. As mentioned in previous posts, you could load your way around this problem, but it got to be a bit annoying, having to retake your turn every so often until eventually the game ( to paraphrase Babylon 5 ) would simply stop.

A few years ago, a friend of mine found a copy on ebay and gave it to me as a present, the nostalgic memories came flooding back, and a few phone calls later the old school chums were ready to roll once more. Problem was, no one had a pc old enough to run it.

That was until about three weeks ago, when i was randomly killing some time chasing explorer links, and i found this site, which placed me in contact with 'dosbox', something id never really come across before.

such is the extent of our addiction to this game, we have uploaded it, and DOSBOX onto a memory stick, so we can play the game anywhere on anyone's PC. However -- despite the fact this version comes with the latest patch, the game still seems to suffer from the old problems of slowdown, game freezers and general crashes. damn shame really. If anyone knows how to fix these problems, id be really delighted to know!

If only it was more stable, and you could create or add new maps.

Having resources that dont expire, the ability to customize your units, and the set values of combat make this game the epitome of strategy and resource management in a controlled environment.

On a side note, we bought MAX 2 a few years after we stopped playing max -- We played it once, for about fifteen minutes, and never touched it again. It sucked donkey balls.

Who knows, one day they might re-release it in a stable format with a multiplayer option that works via a cable modem!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #122

I have the CD for this buried _somewhere_, but I can't find it. Is there anywhere that has the download for this that works? I can't download from here, it always times out.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #123
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

just wait til tomorrow, the servers should be fixed soon
Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #124
Fragment

I have problems running the campaign mode of MAX.
I played all the tutorial levels without any problems.

I have sound but i have no video in the upper left corner, buts ok.

But when i finish the first campaign level the screen goes black and thats it, nothing else happens.

No sound, no action, nothing.

cout this be a gfx problem? I already tried disabling the 16 mb gfx support, but it didnt work for me.
Too bad, the second mission is not unlocked in that way, so im stuck in level 1 without the possibility to finish it

Edit:
I tried to disable every sound in the game with setup.exe, but it didnt work.
I also get the "DYNX86: Can't run code in this page" Message in the other widow of dosbox

Too bad I can't do anything else with that campaign now m I would love to continue with next level without cheat unlocking the levels
Fragment is offline                         Send a private message to Fragment
Old 14-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #125

Aw man i remembered when i ws like 12 i played this game for the first and i didn't what i was doing. Turnbased combat was completely new for me. This game introduced me to a whole new world of combat :P

Old 21-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #126
Bethrezen

hi all

any one have any idea how to stop max crashing coz it is starting to annoy me having the game lock up on me every turn

Old 21-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #127

Try calling the exe directly from DosBox, not the bat file

Old 22-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #128
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bethrezen @ Oct 21 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]316880[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
any one have any idea how to stop max crashing coz it is starting to annoy me having the game lock up on me every turn
[/b]
What operating system and hardware specs you have?
Did you try running the game in VDMSound or DOSBox?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #129
Bethrezen

hi

I'm running xp home and I'm running max with VDMSound v2.1.0

At first I though that maybe my problem was coz there where files missing so I looked out my max cd installed it to c:\MAX then cut and pasted the contents of the downloaded archive in to the same folder allowing it to overwrite any files I then opened up the sound set up set it to

[DIGITAL]
Device_Name=Sound Blaster Pro
Device_IRQ=5
Device_DMA=1
Device_Port=0x220
Device_ID=0xe001
Channels_Reversed=0

I then right clicked on the max.bat file and selected run with VDMS and then selected default set up and remember my settings but it wouldn't work

so I then right clicked on the short cut that it created in the max folder and selected properties clicked advanced and when to the SoundBlaster tab and changed the dsp ver from 4.05 (SoundBlaster 16) to 3.02 (SoundBlaster 16) hit apply saved the change and then double clicked the short cut and this time max loaded ok and the sound was fine

I then started up a custom game played for a while reloading periodically when the game would freeze I got up to about 300 turns with out to much problem but then the game just died I tried reloading as I had done before but this time the game just crash as soon It loaded my save and no matter how many time I reloaded the game would just crash as soon as it finished loading the save

so I figured maybe the save got corrupted so I started a new game but I'm having the same problem the game continually freezes and locks up and that's not all I have noticed many other problems as well

for instance the demo thing that would normally only pop up if you left the game inactive at the main screen for a period of time pops up continually personality i'd just remove this from the code altogether its annoying

my settings keep getting reset to the default for instance it will continually reset alien derelicts from common to none it will change the game type from turn based to simultaneous its resets the scroll speed as well and the animation you get the first time you start a new game of the builder roiling through the desert with the motorbikes keeps getting switched on even though I've set it to off

also on occasion when starting a new game I get to the point where it asks you to select a starting location I select one but instead of the game loading and going to the map it just quits back to the desk top

I have also noticed that when I try to x-fer material from one of my constructors to the one of my mines/storage silos I can’t

For instance say my total storage space is 300 and I have only used 250 I should be able to go to any building that is connected to my storage bay and select to transfer materials and it should then be transfer to which ever building or buildings have space but I cant and I then have to search all my storage bays to see which one has space then drive the builder to that bay and then transfer the material this is quite obviously a bug

Also the switch on the preferences menu that lets you decide if you want units to stop or not when enemy units are encountered is missing

I could go on but right now I’m only interested in getting max to play with out crashing/freezing and/or generally malfunctioning

Is there a way to get max to generate a crash log that I could post here that would maybe help identify what is causing these problems ??

Old 23-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #130
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The IRQ should be set to 7. That's the default value for DOSBox and VDMSound, unless you changed it in VDMSound setup.
Running on an incorrect IRQ like you do can - and will - cause crashes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman