Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Littlemog
Unhappy

I've got Settlers 2 (on CD, although I d/l'd settlers 2 gold to see if that worked any better) and I'm pretty sure I recall being able to run it on the old computer of years ago (which had windows 95 I think).

The game starts up ok in windows XP normally, (no emulator), no cinematics but that doesn't bother me, but when I play a campaign or even just decide to play an unlimited/free game, my screen screws up.

You know how some monitors go in standby if you leave them too long? Like that. I hear the crackly static sound of the monitor as the screen goes black, and the lil green light goes yellow like stand-by monitor mode. If I alt-tab out, screen comes back on, but should I open the game up again... same thing happens. (it sounds like the game is running - I can hear birds tweeting from the game, but then again there's no ingame music)

So I get dosbox (0.63), and that actually works! ...but incredibly slowly, it's barely playable. I've changed the dosbox.conf as in the dosbox: the easy way to play thread, and I've had a search around the forums for problems similar.

VDMS opens it the same way as windows XP does, and with the same result.

I've tried changing the resolution on my monitor (from 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600) and reducing the colour to 16-bit from 32-bit but still the same result (I've got an ancient, nVidia Geforce4 MX 440, with latest drivers though I didn't think that would be an issue for such an old game)

I'm guessing the problem's something to do with fullscreen vs windowed, but I don't know how to get VDMS running games in windowed mode (I'm still currently looking through google but haven't found anything) Also had a look-see round the forum, and the only thing I've found is about DosEmu, which is for Linux not Windows, isn't it? :blink:

Anyone know how to solve this?

Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Data
retired

uhm you could try an application called noflb
or you could try going to fullscreen before you start the game
Old 01-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #3

Noflb didn't work, BUT

On the site I found with it, it also said GeForce4's would need 640 x 480 - a resolution I hadn't tried.

...And it worked! :Brain:

But I wouldn't have found it if you hadn't suggested the noflb, so thank you!

God I'm such a dumbass, it's always something really simple that I've overlooked because I think if something else doesn't work, that's not gonna work. *hits head on desk*