Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
evilmacciefromgermany

On my "new" (recently built it up from parts my school wanted to throw away) PC (Pentium166MMX, 96MB RAM, Elsa Winner 1000 /w 2MB VRAM+Creative Ensoniq Sound card, 6GB HDD with win95C on it), sound works for the system itself (I can hear for example the windows start sound and some newer win games also have sound) but if I try to start a DOS game or an older win game, win tells me that the driver was "in use by an application" and the game has no sound. I already tried to reinstall the driver or to close every program I could close via ctrl+alt+del, but that didn't change anything. Can anybody tell me what to do?
evilmacciefromgermany is offline                         Send a private message to evilmacciefromgermany
Old 07-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Mr.Snuggles
Game freak

Can't you restart the computer in Dos Mode?
Mr.Snuggles is offline                         Send a private message to Mr.Snuggles
Old 07-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
evilmacciefromgermany

Yes, but there no sound driver seems to exist at all...
evilmacciefromgermany is offline                         Send a private message to evilmacciefromgermany
Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Mr.Snuggles
Game freak

You might need to get a little more for that sound card....or try getting newer drivers. (well old newer.....you know what i mean..) Get a sound card thats like a Sound Blaster or something...did you try configuring you games before executing them? Like try running setup.
Mr.Snuggles is offline                         Send a private message to Mr.Snuggles
Old 07-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
evilmacciefromgermany

I think the EnsoniqPCI actually is some kind of improved sound blaster, at least it comes from creative... may it be that the card (made in 1999) and the driver (version for win9x) are too "new" for win 95C?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Mr.Snuggles
Game freak

...Maybe....Win95c? c? I never heard of that.....you think you could get your hands on different OS like 98?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

What is your sound card? I used to get this problem all the time on my Win95C. It just depends on what sound card you have so I can help or not.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

You need to find windows leggacy drivers for your soundcard, this enables you to use it with older apps.
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Exactly.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
evilmacciefromgermany

The driver I had (I just formatted the HD and then I discovered that none of my old bootdisks with CD support still works->i'm f***ed in the a**, haven't got a floppy drive on my mac) was made for win 9x, and I think it was more a windows problem than a driver problem...