Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #101
gertlex

Quote:
Originally posted by dexter047@Aug 2 2005, 02:24 AM
i played this game years ago at a friends house. we used to stay up playing this all night. so happy to find it. i was searching the internet for it when i found this great site. ive been looking for this game for like 3 years now. so happy.
My story is very similar to that

Played it at a friend's house years ago... we played it together actually, one guy move's the other clicks or something, and talk our way through. Either Xeen or Loderunner have to be the first real computer game worth mentioning that I ever played.

I randomly searched for the game and Google + Abandonia = heavenly gift!

Now to complete this wiht the remainder of my summer (i've beaten 7 and 8... 9 was so boring somehow)

Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #102
The Deceiver

Quote:
Originally posted by gertlex+Aug 6 2005, 04:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gertlex @ Aug 6 2005, 04:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dexter047@Aug 2 2005, 02:24 AM
i played this game years ago at a friends house. we used to stay up playing this all night. so happy to find it. * i was searching the internet for it when i found this great site. ive been looking for this game for like 3 years now. so happy.
My story is very similar to that

Played it at a friend's house years ago... we played it together actually, one guy move's the other clicks or something, and talk our way through. Either Xeen or Loderunner have to be the first real computer game worth mentioning that I ever played.

I randomly searched for the game and Google + Abandonia = heavenly gift!

Now to complete this wiht the remainder of my summer (i've beaten 7 and 8... 9 was so boring somehow) [/b][/quote]
Decided to post here, eh? Nword. :bleh:

x_X Yep, one guy moves, other guy clicks. That's how it's was, is, and always shall be. And yep, Might and Magic 9 is really boring for some reason. Glad someone got this game uploaded here, as I never finished it.

--> <--

Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #103
random

if it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere:

To come out of Castleview without having to answer the questions you just have to go through the sewers ... I got it with some kind of game magazine and just went though the sewers, until I got Portal that is.

Old 13-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #104
Yet another guest
Cool

Just to send out a big thanks to Omuletzu, that jpeg was a life saver, the otehr stuff wasn't working.

Old 16-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #105
guenthar

How do you catch the chest in Castleview? It's been so long since I've played this game that I don't remember.

PS. Swords of Xeen is a fasn made game based on Darkside of Xeen. When I bought the Might and Magic compiliation years ago it came with Swords of Xeen and in the documentation it said that Swords of Xeen is a fan made game. I don't think it was ever finished though. (If I remember right)

Old 22-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #106
Old School Gamer
Talking

The World Of XEEN is a Great Game.....considering how long ago it came out. It's sad that 3DO went belly up. I loved all the Might & Magic series.

Thank You.

Old 22-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #107
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

It wasn't 3DO that made the World of Xeen. It was New World Computing. Jon van Caneghem, the CEO of New World Computing, sold the company to 3DO in order to secure more funding to increase the size and complexity of his titles--a deal with the devil, such as Garriott foolishly made with Electronic Arts. The head of 3DO unwisely took the Might and Magic series away from the NWC team after the eighth game had mediocre sales, and gave the ninth to a completely untried team that had never released any games, before. M&M9 was a bomb, and deservedly so. From everything I've heard, Trip Hawkins (3DO's CEO) was a person who could never trust anybody to do anything; he had to make all the decisions, and only he knew what games people would buy. In the end, it appears that people weren't interested in the games Hawkins wanted to make.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 22-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #108
Old School Gamer
Talking

Thanks for the info. and the correction. :bleh:
I still loved all the M&M series.

Old 22-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #109
Pierceval

While talking of Richard Garriott (a god .... that man made the best games ever - I speak of course about Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle) and John Van Caneghem (a mighty god too...) you should read an article about them here :

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...410/ai_n7180539

they now work together @ NCSoft
Pierceval is offline                         Send a private message to Pierceval
Old 23-08-2005, 04:57 AM   #110
Rorschach
Forum hobbit

Erm... am I the only one who's stuck at the very ending of the game, unable to answer the elemental guardians in the cloud world? I've done all the other requirements to complete the 3rd and final quest, but I can't seem to find a clue to the answer anywhere in the game, and even in the walkthroughs available over the net (which mostly are the same one copied over and over) it isn't mentioned, as if the awakening the guardians thing didn't involve a riddle.

Also, my 2 cents about the game: even though I enjoyed the game imensely (I hadn't played it before now, and spent many days doing so), I felt there was a weakness in the rythm of the game that spoiled it a bit. With all the XP being thrown around (500k experience being given as if it was going out of style, and all the +3/+5 permanent level gains), I found that killing all but the toughest monsters quickly became a matter of unworriedly clicking away at the mouse. Maybe that's just me, cause I went around a lot doing all the side quests trying to advance in the main plot, but I reckon that's not somthing uncommon if you are not playing with a WT, right?

Also, that damn 3rd quest about uniting the worlds feels hugely like something that was thrown in the game afterwards, it felt very anti-climatic, didn't it? After you've killed pretty much everything that breathes on both sides of xeen, you go make a few quite automatic errants (except for that damn elements riddle...) and then it's done. Felt like the developers felt the need to throw in something extra for the reissue, and quickly slapped together just anything they came up with in a hurry.

One other minor point that did't seem to get balanced right was the ratio between XP and money: what's the point in dumping all those XP on you without enough money to train? I raided all the dragon hoards I could and so on, was quite a scrooge at the shop, and still finished penyless with "eligible" status fo training (at around 105th level overall).
Rorschach is offline                         Send a private message to Rorschach