Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download

Last edited by Luchsen; 26-01-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

Dont want to troll too much

This game might have some nice content and good humor (i really haven´t ever seen it before, but i do know the hugo series ...), but the graphic was already more than dumb and obsolete in 1992 (the time, when space quest 4, king`s quest 5, wing commander and other games in full blown 320x200x256 vga looked already a bit old, as more and more used svga and better resolutions)

"They also do give a good feeling of the earliest graphical adventure games, so all in all, they don't substract anything from the game." sounds like it was done and released about the same time as other games with that graphic style, but that was about from 1984 to 1988 ... (even the last releases of sierra ega games and lucasarts ega games had a much better graphic design than this one and shouldnt be compared in that way)
:blink:

nevertheless the story sounds interesting and i might try it out someday, as i love the adventure genre really much, but it does not have a professional look and feel, more like a homemade game - especially for that time, and so it deserves more about 2 points than 4 or even 3

Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Ninja Turtle

i dont see how that line suggests it was made back in 1984-1988. it seems to say it tries to imitate those graphics.

a quick google for this game reveals that it was the first one of a trilogy. the last part of that trilogy never got released as the programmer left the group to go to college. the source of this also says this was in 1993 but the second avvy game was made in 1995. it at least feels alot like it was a hobby project of a group of people and not a game made by a company but that means the game has alot of charm you wont find in other professional games.
Ninja Turtle is offline                         Send a private message to Ninja Turtle
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Nice find!

I really didn't knew these adventures (which is a shame) - but I love the style of their puns. Considering these were made by teenagers in a pre-globalized-internet world all I have to say is:
Old 27-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Esther

I'm having trouble with running the game, that when anywriting comes up, instead of spaces and punctuation there is a big squiggle, which makes it hard to use. I'm running it on XP. Any ideas how to sort it out?
Cheers

Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
digitalrushdude

hey im having problems running it in dosbox. i get to the big screen saying WAY BACK IN GOOD OLD AD 79 or whatever it says, it trys to load the next bit then it crashes. it says runtime error 002 at 09eb:06ca.

any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

runtime error? are you sure you were running it in dosbox and not in windows?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 8 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]289648[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Dont want to troll too much

This game might have some nice content and good humor (i really haven�t ever seen it before, but i do know the hugo series ...), but the graphic was already more than dumb and obsolete in 1992 (the time, when space quest 4, king`s quest 5, wing commander and other games in full blown 320x200x256 vga looked already a bit old, as more and more used svga and better resolutions)

"They also do give a good feeling of the earliest graphical adventure games, so all in all, they don't substract anything from the game." sounds like it was done and released about the same time as other games with that graphic style, but that was about from 1984 to 1988 ... (even the last releases of sierra ega games and lucasarts ega games had a much better graphic design than this one and shouldnt be compared in that way)
:blink:

nevertheless the story sounds interesting and i might try it out someday, as i love the adventure genre really much, but it does not have a professional look and feel, more like a homemade game - especially for that time, and so it deserves more about 2 points than 4 or even 3

[/b]
I agree, if the game was created in 1992 and it has those graphics, it should be rated accordingly, not whether they "subtract" from the experience at all, you put your personal preferences aside and rate accordingly on all aspects.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 10-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
digitalrushdude

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Jul 8 2007, 02:43 AM) [snapback]298439[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
runtime error? are you sure you were running it in dosbox and not in windows?
[/b]
yeah im definitly sure, the only reason i was trying to use dosbox was the game ran WAY too fast in regular windows 2000. in some parts, like the action sequence in the coloseum, the game ran way faster than it was supposed to, so i kept dying. is there anything i can do to make it run the way it was intended to? the regular walking around stuff works just fine.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, its actually odd that the game runs fine in windows (except the speed) and gives you a runtime error, cause it uses to be vice-versa.
i would try downloading different version of dosbox and experiment with core=dynamic/full/simple/normal and increasing/decreasing cycles

but if you want to run the game in windows and it runs too fast, there are few slow-down programs for your pc. google for mo'slo for example