Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by duckpatch@Dec 24 2005, 12:14 AM
Simply put, if your system totally the rocks the way it is (high end CPU, lots of RAM, great video card, etc..) then use DosBox. But if you have a crappy motherboard lying around and a spare CPU then just build an actual old comp for old games.
I am in exactly the wrong situation. I have a machine that runs the dos games too quickly, but is hopelessly inadequite for dosbox. My next PC will be a bargain basement, multi-gigahertz machine with high speed ram that will run dosbox fast enough to emulate the games and the sound. I have never played my favorite games with sound, and I am aching to find out what I am missing. The frightening thing is that (albeit ignoring inflation) the modern bargain basement PC will cost less than I spent on my used 386, and even with inflation, it will cost less than my used 800MHz P-III system. I would blow the dust off of my 486, but have nowhere to set it up.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell