Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #41
nextinline
Super Freak

I was mad at first because i redownloaded my Steam version of GTA IV to get a performance mod on Moddb, it was on megaupload, then i found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT5qFrEOKCA

Now, we talk about ACTA

Last edited by GTX2GvO; 31-01-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Gotta love the images. :p
nextinline is offline                         Send a private message to nextinline
Old 31-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #42
catchaserguns
Games Master

I hope that the Feds don't go after 4shared because that would practically shut down the ISO cellar.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/node/6795

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I don't know Fifth, the arguments presented are rather weak. The problem here isn't that Safe Haven should apply, but that the people in charge of Megaupload seemed to do everything in their power to circumvent following through on their end of the deal. Safe Haven means taking down anything you are asked to, while the copyright owner and the person uploading sort it out. This is why if you get a copyright claim of any sort against a video you upload on Youtube it gets pulled, you then file a counter claim, if there is no copyright infringement the video is able to be viewed again. Megaupload seems to have not done this, they aren't protected as a Safe Haven any more because of that. If the FBI can't prove that to be the case most of their claims will fall down with it, but with the internal emails it seems they likely will.

Brining up the sovereignty and how they can charge people operating in other countries is also Megaupload's fault, they had rented a server in America...so American law applies. New Zealand is a firm ally of America and has similar laws, just like Australia with America extraditing criminals or suspected criminals is a common thing nothing new here.

Then onto another point about only charging on one of the movies, this is also a common thing in court cases. The prosecution often holds off all charges if they are very similar, just in case it goes wrong they can refile with the new charge that they hadn't pressed before. You see it all the time in multiple murders, the person being charged is not often charged with every murder for the very same reason, so the prosecution has a back up plan.

This is due process, yeah the site getting shut down sucks but if you were running a store selling legal and illegal goods and got charged for it you would be shut down as well. An even closer example is if a Storage place got charged with allowing people to store and deal stolen goods from their premises, you would likely get locked out of your legitimate goods stored in their while the case was dealt with. We just spent time trying to get SOPA and PIPA pulled due to their lack of due process and now when it actually happens in a legal way we are all chucking the same wobbly. The only thing that people outside of this can draw from that is that we are nothing but pirates who want the right to pirate whatever we want, however we want and never have to deal with the law ever. That isn't the image I want to be sending out, I want people to know that while I support the right of people to share whatever they want I still want the law to be there watching us to make sure we aren't making money out of it and are obeying the law when it says to stop doing something cause it is illegal.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
Japo
Autonomous human

Darth, I didn't know you knew more Law than that woman from Stanford :P
Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #46
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

You have no idea how close I came to becoming a lawyer, I really wanted to work on murder cases. I also spent most of my teenage years reading up on every serial murder, mass murder and such that I could find. I might be wrong in the end, but the case she presented was weak to me, it missed information that is rather easy to find, i.e the fact that Megauploads had servers in the US meaning they are subject to US law. And hey just going to a fancy University doesn't make you good at your job, you can still be a complete idiot or not fully understand all the facts of the case.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 30-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #47
Japo
Autonomous human

NZ court finds Megaupload search warrants illegal
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #48
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This could get fun again:

Kim dotcom offers himself to the FBI provided they release funds for lawyers and living expenses.