Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Default now LEGAL: ripping dvds, jailbraking iphones, cracking obsolete software

in the usa, that's it (but considering the assholes from there put their noses to into every country, it is a good news for everyone)
read the absolutely wonderful news
Quote:

It’s no longer illegal under the DMCA to jailbreak your iPhone or bypass a DVD’s CSS in order to obtain fair use footage for educational purposes or criticism. These are the new rules that were handed down moments ago by the U.S. Copyright Office. This is really big. Like, really big.

The office looks at copyright law every three years in order to make revisions or exemptions. The six “classes” now exempt from prosecution under the DMCA are:

1. Defeating a lawfully obtained DVD’s encryption for the sole purpose of short, fair use in an educational setting or for criticism

2. Computer programs that allow you to run lawfully obtained software on your phone that you otherwise would not be able to run aka Jailbreaking to use Google Voice on your iPhone

3. Computer programs that allow you to use your phone on a different network aka Jailbreaking to use your iPhone on T-Mobile

4. Circumventing video game encryption (DRM) for the purposes of legitimate security testing or investigation

5. Cracking computer programs protected by dongles when the dongles become obsolete or are no longer being manufactured

6. Having an ebook be read aloud (is for the blind) even if that book has controls built into it to prevent that sort of thing.

This is easily the biggest tech news I have come across in quite some time—we’re talking years here. I’m actually going to need a few moments to digest all of this.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Just to have it said before we go all yippee, FREE GAMES FOR EVERYONE: I don't read into this that cracking obsolete software is now all ok. #5 mentions dongles, and the legality of cracking dongle protected software "when the dongles become obsolete or are no longer being manufactured". It doesn't mention software _not_ protected by dongles, such as 100% of the games on AB.

Not sure either if "4. Circumventing video game encryption (DRM) for the purposes of legitimate security testing or investigation" opens the door for full on cracking of games for cheaper access to home entertainment.

Ok, enough of the cold shower.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Just to have it said: I don't read into this that cracking obsolete software is now all ok. #5 mentions dongles, and the legality of cracking dongle protected software "when the dongles become obsolete or are no longer being manufactured". It doesn't mention software _not_ protected by dongles, such as 100% of the games on AB.
who said it is? maybe it's you who needs cold shower after all=P
Old 26-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Well, r.u.s.s., this is the kind of topic that, over and over again, has turned into a "IT'S ALL FREE NOW" topic. Just take time to recollect a bit. I'm just saying "let's not turn this one too into that kind of topic", that's all. I mean, your topic title suggests it's now ok to crack obsolete software when there is nothing here that actually supports that.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

-sir, you've won a brand new car, now you don't have to spare money to buy it! congratulations sir

+don' get me 'rong lad but dis doesn't mean i don't have to buy milk and pay rent for my house now. sorry lad so much for cold shower

-sir, i have no idea why are you mentioning this but it's just that you've won a new car, congratulations sir

+well lad you grow up an' see dat you gotta pay your house and buy milk

-sir, nevermind
Old 26-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

*sigh*
Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s.
cracking obsolete software
Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
-sir, nevermind
indeed...
Old 26-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Bejelith
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to Bejelith

So in the end, some dongle companies decide what can be legally cracked and what can't. Which means that they'll have some control over legalising cracking (and thus, piracy) for games made by their respective companies. That seems unfair for game manufacturers making a living out of it. Except for game companies that will have their own protection methods department.

Just a thought.

And, the paragraph says about legally cracking computer programs, not pirating them around. Which doesn't bring much of a change in what's legal and what's not for gamers.
Bejelith is offline                         Send a private message to Bejelith
Old 26-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
seconteen1001

Send a message via Skype™ to seconteen1001

These days it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

saying downloading games is illegal isn't going to stop most anyone from downloading them. =P
Old 27-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Yea hows this _really_ going to change things?

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 28-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i iwll be doing a lot of bypassing of "a DVD’s CSS in order to obtain fair use footage for educational purposes or criticism"
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor