Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-10-2004, 09:32 PM   #21
Thomy

I am not used to participate to this kind of forums or discussions... but I think I can make an exception for this game. I am 25 now and I have played pc games since my 286. Dune is my favourite game ever. I was vary unpopular among my friends 'couse I hated Dune 2 for not being really Dune. I love the story development, the graphic... and it is a very successful mixture of game types. I still have it on two FD and I enjoy playing it every now and then... I usually have a "Dune afternoon" about every 6 months. Now I need only a couple of hours to complete the mission... but I still love it. Is there any game like it? I would really like to know...

Old 18-10-2004, 02:14 PM   #22
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Since Dune is a strange mix between an Adventure and a Strategy game... Good luck on finding another one like it!
Old 18-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #23
Endop

It's not the fact that it a strange mix that makes it hard to find somehting similar. The Real Problem is much harder. A working mix of adventure and strategy!

Anyway, it really seems I would have to try this one too. Damn it, I haven't even started working yet and want to retire already!

Old 20-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #24
Thomy

Ok... I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have a PC with an integrated sound card and windows XP. Dune does not work with sound. If I use dosbox it works... but every now and than the sound "jumps"; I have a blink of silence. I have tried VDMS but with no success... I have read in another forum that I am not the only one experiencing that kind of problem... but there are many that do not have it and are surprised of any complications mentioned... Can anyone PLEASE help? Thanks!
Thomy is offline                         Send a private message to Thomy
Old 20-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #25
Cyberdemon

Perhaps you should increase the CPU cycles that DosBox emulates? You can raise them with CTRL+F12.

Old 20-10-2004, 01:17 PM   #26
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

there was one sound option that worked for me...
and even then the music was of a much lower quality than it should be.
To be honest I didn't enjoy the game all that much.

And it doesn't follow the book at all :blink:
In the book Arrakeen is captured by the Harkonnen and Paul is forced to flee with his mother... then he unites the tribes.
And the fertilization of the planet only happens in 'Children of Dune'... which happens a hundred, if not a thousand, years after Paul Atreides's death

Don't get me wrong, its a good game... but it isn't the book. The book was rather dull at times, but when you finish reading it and you reflect on the major events in the book you do feel drawn to some characters... or the exact opposite.
That is the charm of Dune. While some readers will praise Paul as a saviour of the universe, others will call him a dictator, a dictator more cruel than Baron Vladimir Harkonnen or Emperor Shaddam IV.

Dune Messiah really engages this evil side of the 'hero' of dune.
At one point he even compares himself to Hitler, or says some things which sound an awefull lot like something Hitler would say.
Old 21-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #27
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thanks Strrogy, we all saw the movie.

Game is still great. Everything is placed in one little story and I doub that it should follow the book. Game will be dull, dull, and real dull. This way players will like it and wmay become interested in Dune series.

P.S. Is there any game that you actually love?????????
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 21-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #28
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

there are loads of games I like.
but Dune shouldn't be called a 'game that follows the book to the letter' as it is on many other sites that have reviewed it.

So no need to act like a wiseass now.

Anyway, Lynch's movie isn't exactly a very accurate presentation of the book either.
The miniseries was... but it contained quite a few tedious moments.
Old 22-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #29

the book is WAY better than the film.
the movie is quite good though... but it obviously changes stuff to work better as a movie.
naturally this is even more so in the game.
bear in mind in the days this game was made, many, many movie licenced games bore absolutely ZERO relation to the movie whatsoever. this was true of arcade games too.

the movie is 'based on' the book

the game is more 'inspired by' the book, and in some senses, the movie

Old 01-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #30
Thomy

Ow c'mon... "Your rating: 3" ?!? My taste for games does not really go with the majority... however I'm writing for another bit of information. I've done a little research and find out that there was a game named Dune Generations that was prepared by Cryo but then they bankrupted... An allied Canadian company said that the project would go on but... no hopes anymore. The project is dead some years now. It was going to be Dune 2 type of game but with more graphic, a more 3d style of playing and a really nice UI... at least this is what can be extrapolated from the available pictures. Oh yes: it was going to be an on-line game... A pity that the project went dead. That was the first piece of news. The second is for the really nostalgic Dune fanatics. Did you know that Cryo issued an audio CD with the music of Dune? I didn't. It's "Exxos - Dune Spice Opera". Exxos is the original name of the company Cryo. The songs are really enjoyable and they successfully recall Dune memories... If you are lucky enough to find it... somewhere :-)...
See ya!
Thomy is offline                         Send a private message to Thomy