Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #101
Novalia Spirit

[deleted]
Novalia Spirit is offline                         Send a private message to Novalia Spirit
Old 15-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #102
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah that's the site where I found this Naufrager: Crimson. It's got a lot of good looking games, and I'll have a look at all those others you mentioned. Thanks for all that. k:
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 16-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #103
Matango
Lurker

Wow, it is very, very rare that I delete a game part-way through it because it is such a waste of time, and even more rare that I actually bother to register on a forum to comment on it, but a 5/5 review for THIS?

Even if I ignore the atrocious spelling and grammar, this game just fails at life. Let's see:

Gameplay: Nothing particularly innovative. The "absorbing spells" system is more of an annoyance than an innovation, and the "skills instead of experience" system is not implemented particularly well and forces you to walk around fighting endless battles so that you can use up your HP or MP and raise stats. The battle system isn't any different from every other generic turn-based RPG. The mini-games are dull, and if you want to get any kind of reward you would have to waste hours and hours on them (try collecting enough tickets or trade items in a reasonable amount of time). Walking through the overworld map is unnecessarily slow and irritating.

Graphics: Nothing remarkable whatsoever. Granted, this was made using RPGMaker, but that doesn't make it commendable.

Music: Mostly remixed versions of songs from other games.

Plot: Your typical dull "save the universe from evil" plot. Except it's set in space, which, for some reason, seems to be making a lot of people say "OMGWTFBBQ ITS IN SPACE!!111!!!11one". The characters are stereotypical, boring, and unlikeable. And some of them don't even make sense. "I'm a man trapped in a doll, and magic might turn me back, so let me follow you around and help save the world"? What bad crack was the writer smoking when he thought that one up? The "bad guys" are your typical "evil for no real reason" villains. Two nations were going to make peace, and so the provoker now wants revenge on all life? And of course we can't forget the typical evil god who wants to destroy all of reality.

I'll admit that some of the more recent FF games had their share of cookie-cutter protagonists and antagonists and stereotypical plots, but they were still better than this drivel. I wish I were as easily amused as you lot.
Matango is offline                         Send a private message to Matango
Old 18-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #104
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

LOL

It seems this game isn't as great as Tom thought.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 25-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #105
Cluey

From what I've seen, an experianced RPG Maker vet could make something like this. The author did not draw all the graphics as the review said, most of them are standard RTP or edited. RPG Maker games, to people who've never seen RPG Maker always seem to blow people away. But I've seen many an RPG Maker Game, and I have 2000, 2003 and XP on my computer. The story was ok though. The author should remake this in XP with the scripting engine and original graphics, not ones ripped from First Seed Material.

Old 25-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #106
Novalia Spirit

First seed material is NOT rips, and he used tons of rips, but little of RTP.
Novalia Spirit is offline                         Send a private message to Novalia Spirit
Old 19-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #107
Melchior

Perhaps Tom should look on to some other RPG Maker games before reviewing about this one. And there could be more RPG Maker games around here.

And I believe you can make games with RPG Maker and save them in a way that you don't need the RPG Maker itself nor the RTP, though the game file gets significantly larger. But it's better to just have to download one file, right?

Old 19-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #108
dragonLancer
Super Freak

Send a message via MSN to dragonLancer

SEEEEEEEET!!!!! (im a huge final fantasy fan) I JUST SAW THIS YAYAYAYAYYA for FF
man i cant wait to play (im in the middle of Al-Qin-The genies curse) man thats a hard game. :guns:

If anyone wants me I'll be in the Angry Dome!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
dragonLancer is offline                         Send a private message to dragonLancer
Old 20-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #109
himself_rock

It doesn't work. in the starting cut-scene, after those two soldiers talk, when the image goes back to space it crashes :"File Earth Not found" or something like that!

Old 21-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #110
Bensch

Try to redownload it?

Personally, Endless Nova is one piece of nice fanwork. I spent about 10h till I went through (without every single quest, though there aren't that many besides the main plot) but I'm still trying to kill this darn Watcher Omega. Even Fusion Quenlin and Paradorn haven't been a problem at all (thanks to Atlas), but that Wather Omega kicks my behind. Am trying to raise my HP and Mana to about 1000 points which takes quite a long time - but I'm fanatic

Of course Endless Nova isn't as professional as the other FF games, but since it has been programmed by one single person, the plot being dense and capturing, the simple but addicting "equip your char with new items every here and there"-system, a whole bunch of enemies and very detailed areas I really enjoyed playing this one. I loved playing FF II on the Gameboy a few years ago and this one reminded me of it at once. I really like it, though it's quite diverting.

I really think it's not as bad as Matango considers it as
Bensch is offline                         Send a private message to Bensch