Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
omg
Games Master

LOL i recently got to review a game for the site. its the first one i had got after being denied laser squad an others, but cool. its called 5th fleet. and its horrible. i really hate it. i have developed a venom to this game within about half an hour. i dont like its geo political view and im comparing it to other turn based games written and released in there native lands that year and it is definatly the worst of the crop. utter bah~!

ok so should i be honest an destroy it or mark it up becuase its one for archivists of military data based war games an maybe they would like it?

i need to know cuz i gotta finish review
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 22-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

If there is a game I don't like I usually try to find the good things aswell. Don't just break it. Like: how are the graphics? Is it realistic? Is there a lot of background information on the units?

You can always mention your own feelings in the review too, but don't just break the entire game because you don't like one aspect of it.
Old 22-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
omg
Games Master

the problems i have with it unfortunatly are
graphics. minimal even for the time, i seen better 486 games
realism
board view: is good and its a good tacticall interface for fighting a pre world war 3 naval battle against communism. which is good if you want that. hasving said that its based on a board game. and it doesnt attempt to deviate from that. i have played a lot of board game conversions. the actual board is its failing though.
ok bacxkground information. i got freinds who at first glance i thought would like this, this reosen, they like ww2 an old school sims an have copys of janes fighting ships.\
"its a bit of a shortchange"
kids who arnt into this as an intro piece to how american hardware is better than europes and asia then ok, but a naval nut will only get literally minutes of fun as its more of a reminder.
i think its one only for fans of the board game, yet i feel compelled to mark it up a little maybe for the interface,
dam u fate that i got sfc3 the other day, i started learning how to use 5th fleet, shoulda taken screen shots then
i can normally get into turn based games an board game conversions. this one i cant

Old 22-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I wasn't thrilled when the game was released but I did enjoy it for a couple of weeks IIRC. I would love to review it for you if you want.
The graphics did strike me too as a bit spartan to say the least. They reminded me of the Grandest Fleet though not as charming. Still, I think it is a good game and yes I do like my war games and military hardware.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 22-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
omg
Games Master

im tempted mate. i was lookking forwards to doing a review but i have never got into this sort of thing. i voulenteered for it not knowing the game. if i had just googled for it i woulda seen that i hated it an not voulenteered, is funnily enuff mb the 5th game i had requested heh LOL 5th fleet ..

ill swap it for laser squad whoever was meant to be reviewing that? or something scifi, if thats cool with kosta?
Old 23-05-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
cheesegrater
Game freak

You have to get into the game, not just play it for 5 minutes. Some games are not very accessible.

Also, when reviewing a game the review score should be focused on gameplay, not graphics.
Old 23-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Veloxi

Writing about games you hate...these are actually easy reviews to write. The hardest reviews are the games you kind of like but are filled with problems. Anyway, when you have a game you have that you need to review, make comedy out of it, or make fun of it. Here's a good example of my own:

Arthur's Knight's II: The Secret of Merlin Review

This is the worst game I've ever played, and I had to review it. Just try to have fun with it. Laugh at how awful it is, and make light of it. Good luck!
Veloxi is offline                         Send a private message to Veloxi
Old 23-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

My rewiev for a boring game:

What a boring game.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen