Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #71

Well, this is troubling.

My computer objects to Civilization on account of it's a 64-bit computer. I've managed to get around that for some programs using a virtual machine that I've set up with Windows 98, so I tried that here. I get what looks like a pre-title screen:

Advanced Civilization (R)
Version 1.11 Beta 1
Program & Audio-Visual Copyright (C) 1995 by The Avalon Hill Game Company
All Rights Reserved

All of this is plaintext, no images or anything that looks like the screenshots on the download page. Below that is a blinking cursor, but it does not recognize anything I try to type. On one occasion I managed to get it to make objection noises when I tried to type, but I don't recall what I did differently. This sits there until I shut down the virtual machine or ctrl-alt-delete within it.

The next thing I tried was to restart the virtual machine in DOS mode. Once I relearned the commands I had last used some fifteen years ago, I managed to get a slightly more productive result: it would only sit at the aforementioned screen for a few seconds before telling me that it "Could not initialize your mouse."

I then tried finding a DOS prompt within Windows itself, but that exhibits no difference from running by double-clicking within the folder.

So now I'm at a loss for what else to try. Can anyone help me?

Old 26-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #72
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
So now I'm at a loss for what else to try. Can anyone help me?
Dosbox is all you need.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #73
lly
Default Well, this is a problem

You have the wrong manual for the game.

This computer game is basically the original board game and the manual you've got is for the board game, which should be fine – but (like it says on the box) this game follows the advanced Civilization rules and you've got the manual for the basic version. Trade is wrong, various techs & catastrophes aren't included or are explained incorrectly, and having more than 11 tech cards isn't impossible but is actually essential for winning the game.

You need to dump the version you're currently hosting and use the one for advanced Civ. hosted at broggs.org or (better but probably harder) get someone to find the actual manual for this computer game.

Old 29-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #74
lly
Exclamation Save games

Since I ran into this problem, too, a repost from further up in the thread until we get the actual computer game manual:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm really enjoy playing this game, but i've got a problem that's
very anoying :wallbash:

Advanced civ can be a really lone game to play. My problem is that i can't
save my game. The game will chane the save description in the save window,
but when i try to load a saved game. The game that loads is the saved game
that came with the down load. Is there a path registry that the program needs to be
in order to properly save the current game?

P.S. running under min 98 no stops or other problems
I think from the above you are changing the title on one of the 2 autosaves at the bottom of the save screen. It is allowing the name change, but will only give you the game at the autosave position when you start up again.

To save:- place mouse curser on one of the vacent bar spaces. I use the Top bar.
Click on it and type in your save game name; then press enter. Game saved.

When you resave the game in the future follow the same procedure. You will note however that the save game name disappears and is repeced by a "-" when you click on the approriate bar. You then need to retype in your save game name again, and then press enter (as before).

Hope this helps.

Old 29-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #75
lly
Default Shipbuilding round

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2CivGuy View Post
Shipbuilding takes forever. Is there some sort of way to speed this up?
As a poster above noted, if you can manage, run the game DIRECTLY. It's Dosbox itself that's slowing the late-game shipbuilding rounds so much. (If another poster knows how to reconfigure Dosbox to fix this problem, kindly let us know.)

Old 26-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #76
Rasek
Default Terrible Bug in version 1.11 Beta 1

Hi, I have the following version:

Advanced Civilization (R)
Version 1.11 Beta 1
All Rights Reserved

I have noticed that the tool Agriculture does not anything. If a territory can support 2 units, having Agriculture it should support 3. But it is not happening, it still can support 2.

I have tested it in several games and with several civilizations. This tools does not help at all!

Has anyone a later version of this game, one with this bug corrected? Does such version exist, later than 1.11 Beta 1 ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 28-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #77
Rasek
Default Ooopsss!! Me bad

My mistake.

Agriculture *DOES* work.

I was expecting to be able to have one token more than the ones depicted in the board, (same as in the board game) and it was not happening, so I assumed that Agriculture was not working.

BUT...

the game *DOES CHANGE* the number written in the territories (adding one to the number of tokens it can hold, if you are the only player with tokens in it). So Agriculture DOES work. It is just that you can not have more tokens that the number written in the territory, but such number will be one unit higher if you hold Agriculture and you are the only occupant of that territory.

My mistake, sorry.

Anyway, I am still interested in knowing if they released a version newer than:

Version 1.11 Beta 1

Thanks!

Old 31-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #78
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Patches Scrolls is your friend.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #79
Not good
Default CALLE VISTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Patches Scrolls is your friend.
"The requestet page could not be found"

Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #80
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Weird. Works for me.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete