Old 18-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #121
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You miss one thing:

Close Combat:
No AP penalty

SMINE:
- 5 AP for equipping

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #122
laiocfar
NOD Commander

And the fact that you can carry a better weapon at place of SMINE.
Old 21-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #123
iseng

Has any of you tried using it at all?

Also seems like you guys missed this. It is an assault weapon. It is not the Ultimate Weapon or the one and only weapon you will ever need. But it does its job very well. Very devastating weapon.

You should try (properly) it first though. Otherwise debating here would be pointless.
iseng is offline                         Send a private message to iseng
Old 30-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #124
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I used it with very bad results but i must be related to my playing stile. When the DOLL with the smine ends destroyed or must be moved to reserve due high damage. The recived damage didnt come from reaction fire as i was expecting (in facts, the reaction fire exist but never is high enough to kill the DOLL or leave you without chances of survive next turn), most of damage is done by units covering the rear of the attacked position.
But i shall admit that reaction fire isnt so high.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #125
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm not saying that SMINE doesn't have it's uses - far from that, in fact - but it's fairly limited. It can be useful, but it's use would have to be very carefully planned.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #126
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iseng @ Dec 20 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]272272[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Has any of you tried using it at all?[/b]
Yup. I always use Hardy Newland to test out combat loads. It's good, but not that good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iseng @ Dec 20 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]272272[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also seems like you guys missed this. It is an assault weapon. It is not the Ultimate Weapon or the one and only weapon you will ever need. But it does its job very well. Very devastating weapon.[/b]
And a weapon of last resort, as seen in the anime. It is definitely not my first pick for any DoLL, save Newland, but we all know why that is.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #127
pi-r

SMINE was quite useful in mission where you had to ambush the enemy. My squad was hiding in wood 2, or 3 hex from the road. When the time was right mecha with SMINE jumped in the middle of convoy and took out most of enemy.

the_fifth_horseman: What do You think about making guide for second part of Power Dolls?
Playing in chinese, korean, or japanese is quite hard and in strategy game you should concentrate rather on battlefield then on fighting with language.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #128
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

All copies of Power Dolls 2 that I found were some weird HDI files... I think that's a disk image of some sort, but for the sake of my life could not figure out how to access its contents.

-- Reed Richards
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #129
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pi-r @ Jan 4 2007, 07:13 AM) [snapback]273240[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
SMINE was quite useful in mission where you had to ambush the enemy. My squad was hiding in wood 2, or 3 hex from the road. When the time was right mecha with SMINE jumped in the middle of convoy and took out most of enemy.[/b]
My DoLLs must've been fidgety because when I tried to hide in the forest that close, the enemy Loaders homed right in on us, keeping my girls from being able to take a direct path to the convoy. Fortunately, I had the long-range missiles on a couple of reserve units, but I still had to redo the mission to get the result I wanted (i.e. trying not to lose any DoLLs, excepting Miss Newland).
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #130
iseng

The Fourth,
Anime? :O Where did you get it?

Let's say the battlefield situation is like so:

..F1
F1..F1..F1
H1..H1..H1
..H1..H1H1..H1
....H1......H1
H2..H2..H2

F1 = friendly units, first line
H1 = hostile units, first line
H2 = hostile units, second line

With 1 or 2 (depends on the number of enemy clusters) unit carrying SMINE it's fairly easy to decimate first line (H1 units). But, if you don't take account their second line (H2 units), you'll sustained heavy damage or even casualties.

This requires:
1. Good recon.
2. Enough units to decimate first line.
3. Enough manouverabily and weapon range to affect their second line as well.

Don't just walk over to enemy upon detecting their first few units. That's only the pickets/recons. Don't charge down with only one or two units. Not enough firepower.

Don't insist on retreating to avoid counterattack. Do so if you can of course. But in my experience this is hard to pull off effectively. The better course is to reduce their firepower.

The idea is to hit hard and hit completely or not at all. If you don't put everything in, you're holding your punches. The attack is bound to fail even before it starts.

Completely the opposite of shooting from away, which is slowly chipping the enemy. While doing recons and moving to positions to envelope.

Like in boxing: jab jab jab, uppercut bam! You only need one good uppercut. But don't throw it all the time. If you only know how to jab, it's going to be a very very very long fight.

Remember, start from their flanks. It should be obvious.
iseng is offline                         Send a private message to iseng