Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
dipo

Default Qemu + Bochs - Emulators for DOS

I didn't found a lot about this two emulators in the forums, only about VMware , VirtualPC, DosBox and VMDSound.

Recently I tested Qemu and Bochs (With Windows XP as host computer). I want to tell you my experiences.

Both programms are no virtualizers. Them are full emulators, more linke DosBox emulating any hardware but for any purpose. You need a very fast host computer because anything is emulated. In both emulators a lot of legacy hardware for DOS will be emulated.

Qemu:
Them don't say anything about the quality of the sb16 compatibility. The informations about the sb16 emulation on their website are rare.

Qemu has by default installation no pretty guy. But with Qemu Manager there is an acceptable gui from a third party developer. Anyone who want to experiment with Qemu I suggest to download Qemu Manager since it's complete package.

It can emulate sb16, adlib and es1370. From my tests the sound is working, digital sound and synthesized sound but it's crackling a lot while I had still CPU power free on host computer.

I don't say it's shit. Maybe there are still settings to become a perfect sb16 emulation, I don't know.

Bochs:
Will not win a contest for having a nice gui. But Bochs seams to be rich in functionality. I also haven't found any pretty third party gui. To set up a virtual machine you need to fiddle with the configuration files and other console applications.

Them claim to have a pretty good sb16 emulation. I can confirm this! Unfortunately I can only confirm this for digital sound. I wasn't able to become synthesized sound to work.

The digital sound emulation sounds pretty good. I had the feeling that it sounds even better then in DosBox!
dipo is offline                         Send a private message to dipo