Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #21
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

HoMM IV was not so different from it predicessors that it was a completely different game. I am not saying they should turn Civ into a platform shooter. I am meerly saying that with todays computing power there is no need to have the same combat system as civ1 had. Indeed because of the way the world in civ has grown it makes sence to reinvent the combat system because moving your 100+ units around is a pain even with the group move orders introduced in the expansions. The way civ handles cities is also no longer fun or neccessary. I would much rather see a way in which I am leader of a country then leader of several cities. Why still have a game world that is build up out of squares? It is not neccessary to do so and limits the reality I feel while playing the game. In general I would prefer to have a game that tries to have a feel of reality to it rather then the "camp" feel of civilization. Why have only 24 civs in the world instead of the 100-200 that are actually in there. Why do we need "unique" units that are somehow connected to certain civs? Why not have you be able to develop your own style of combat that is unique to you because your civilization developed in that direction because of choices you made while playing the game? I could go on but I think you get where I am going with this.
Of course a game that hold a series name should have a connection to the games that went before it. Half Life 2 not only has a leading character that is the same it is also a strongly story driven FPS just as its predesessor but, for me to buy the sequal to a game I liked that game should give me a good reason to buy it. Just making some new levels or fixing some issues from the last game is not going to cut it. Technology moves on and gives gamesmakers new possibilities to exploit. With civ especially (buying as old as it was) I had the feeling that part three was essentially the same game as was released in 1991 with some new features and an arguably vastly improved graphics system (and better AI I will admit). The core of the game however remains unchanged and no longer is at the forefront of what computers can do. It is no wonder that Civ3 was granted only an 83% score by my favorite games magazine. I have played civ3 and enjoyed that time but got boored with its shortcommings long before the same happend to me with Civ2. Right now I am playing Rome: Total War as my main new game and am enjoying it far more then I did civ3 (although it too has major shortcommings).
What I am hoping will come out of civ4 development is a brand new way in which the game works, one that will once again make me believe I am running an empire and not like I am playing a game of civilization.

I have played both Call to Power and Call to power 2. I liked the former but disliked the latter. I love the fact that i can walk through history to the present with civ style games, I do not like playing in some phantasy future with it. This is what I hated about part 2. the CtP series is by far the best civ clone out there but it is not nearly as good as civ on my account (although CtP was better then Civ2).
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 25-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #22
Fluxy
Forum hobbit

Well, the new Grand Theft Auto comes out tomorrow for the Playstation 2 so i'll hopefully be getting it for my birthday.

All the games I want now will be on the PS2, including the new Smackdown! wrestling and perhaps Bard's Tale.
Fluxy is offline                         Send a private message to Fluxy
Old 26-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #23
aiwaman

Fallout 3. Hopefully it will look like Fallout 1 and 2 at least a bit.
Old 26-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #24
Fenris
Abandonia nerd

The next Legend of Zelda for my gamecube.
I somehow lost track about PC games, because my PC is getting to slow for all those new games .
But I think the new Settlers will rock, and Stronghold 2 of course.
Old 26-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #25
FreeFreddy

And Gothic 3. Don't forget Gothic 3. It will be THE RPG hit when it's out (hopefully earlier than later). k:

Old 26-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #26
Fenris
Abandonia nerd

I loved the original Gothic, but when I tried G2, my PC was still too slow for it. Maybe I should give it a try now.
Old 26-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #27
FreeFreddy

You won't regret it. And don't forget to install the addon, The Night of the Raven, when you're through with the main game. k:
It makes the game more difficult, but it adds very cool looking new world and nice music. And also some new armors and weapons.

Old 26-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #28
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I want worms... any version... someone? :P well, world party, prefferably, first one I played!
Old 26-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #29
FreeFreddy

Well, they're all not abandoned. And btw., this is a wrong thread to ask it. :ranting:

Old 26-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #30
Fenris
Abandonia nerd

Oh god, you just made me hunger for Gothic 2, :ranting:
By the way, Elder Scrolls Oblivion looks very promising.