Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #521
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamloga View Post
sorry about being so needy but how do i run games on dosbox using a vista? sorry
Take a look at the tutorial section:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #522
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamloga View Post
sorry about being so needy but how do i run games on dosbox using a vista? sorry
What I linked you to was a tutorial for beginners.
You didn't bother to read it, did you?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #523
Takahashi

Currently playin' the "unofficial soundtrack" I found the other day... draggin' me back to an age when I actually had time to do stuff I wanted to do...
Takahashi is offline                         Send a private message to Takahashi
Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #524
Silver Duran
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Silver Duran Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Duran

I used to play this game a lot as a kid, and i still love it. and it can keep me busy for hours on end. I'm glad I was able to find it on this site
Silver Duran is offline                         Send a private message to Silver Duran
Old 14-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #525
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
What I linked you to was a tutorial for beginners.
You didn't bother to read it, did you?

if you didnt know yet, to add to the Horsemans post, you need dosbox to run most of the very old games. it simulates the old DOS environment for it. There are many programs around that simulate such "environments". Dosbox is one of the best for DOS games (not for high seas trader) but there are also simulators (called emulators) for, for example, playstation, nintendo or nintendo gameboy platforms. I assume the term platform is known to you

to reply/add to some old posts, galactic civilizations is in some ways very much the same, though quite different. the map, for example isnt 3d, you can just look at it from different angles. costumizing starships is fun, making em beatifull may take time though.

to add some advice for this game actually, i usually colonize ALL planets in a system. Even at the highest ai settings with some patches, the AI still ignores planets without improvements. Having only orbital batteries in place basically means they'll ignore it even as it is shooting at it. Having long range orbital whoppers in several orbits will destroy any enemy before he can invade. system defence batteries. Wont work when the planet revolves around the sun and cant hit the enmey, but its worth that posibility

expanding moon colonies to full colonies is NOT worth it, nor is it for any colony without significant bonuses, since by this time your economy and research dont need it anyway. Having a weapons platform being ignored can be wrth much more

note also that planetary shields have a HP total and any attack lowers it, and it never, or very slowly degrades/increases strength again. Once a planet has been attacked it is usually best to replace the shield. Having more whoppers (are you sure this game isnt sponsored by burgerking) is better than more shields, also since you wont know which one to replace

to be honest, even with ai patches etc, this was one of the easiest strategy games i played

Last edited by Oskatat; 14-07-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 16-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #526
Adenosine

It was a cool game and I really liked it when I was a kid.
Especially the ship design section and the assortment of highly original alien species got me

But it also got a lot of flaws:
Tedious colony managment with exponentially increasing overhead
Unfair , cheating , but nevertheless stupid AI
Fiddly and confusing navigation
NO MULTIPLAYER (that one really pissed me off)

But still a game of high nostalgic value for me
Adenosine is offline                         Send a private message to Adenosine
Old 24-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #527
cizra

Default Tech tree

Hi there. I took the trouble of writing down the tech tree and generating a nice directed graph out of it, so I'm attaching it to this page. If you notice any mistakes, or if you even just find it useful or interesting, give me a message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.png
Views:	243
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1235  
Attached Files
File Type: txt tree.txt (2.6 KB, 168 views)
cizra is offline                         Send a private message to cizra
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #528
arakish

I have made some additions to the website I posted here.

I forgot my password and since use hotmail, had to make new profile.

The website is now hosted here.

Ascendency

Of course, this site is an OWIP (ongoing work in progress). As get new stuff to add, I'll do so and post here.

rmfr

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you saying, "Dude we screwed up."
arakish is offline                         Send a private message to arakish
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #529
Oskatat
Game freak

i read your guide only a bit and i already have 2 points of issue:

yes you can build more growth buildings, but it may take space that you cant spare and then, later on you'll have to demolish it. waiting some turns istn that much a hassle and actually keeps down your micromanagement

and your most powerful weapon? ridiculous, since it cant be used unlimited times and you still need weapons to kill someone. yes it works fine against an opponent who brings only one ship, BUT it doesnt actually guarantee a complete energy drain, so the ship may still fire on you. Its in the wrong category: most useful MISC, but not the best weapon, since it wont destroy anythin. I challenge you to destroy some orbital defences with a ship with only this "weapon"

also, habitats and similar structures are very, very, no not just very but completely useless as soon as you can automize structures. destroying them is again a pain in the micromanagement butt. And destroy them you should because they just take the space of actually productive units

i find it better usually to wait for that, and just use high industry or inherently large planets for my first shipyards

on the megaprojects: if your tiny planet will support only a few colonist, maybe you should first build a factory or farm, then the other from what you just had ans simply not worry about it. i know small planets are not "worth their effort" economic wise, but, as i said before, they make great system batteries, for an enemy will usually try the best planet first

I've found moon like planets to be extraordinairy good defensive platforms. dont even bothe with shields most of the time, those planets will be ignored

placing the colony on a green square also renders it useless to any farm you want to build on it, so consider carefully!
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #530
arakish

Thanks Oskatat. Good Points and thanks for pointing them out.

I edited those two pages on my site. I left the original text and added Errata.

rmfr

Ascendency

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you saying, "Dude we screwed up."
arakish is offline                         Send a private message to arakish