Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #851
kyrubb

MoM unofficial patch (a.k.a. Insecticide) version 1.40 i

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4211

-----------------------------

Note, that this version contains several risky changes. Preserve your game data, be cautious and eventually report the bugs, with a savegame.

Release notes:
Version 1.40i
-----------------------
reversed ship speeds to the original

(Bugs in general)
Animate dead should now work (but casting when > 6 units are dead still crashes the game!)
monsters extra difficulty option - significantly harder
raiders extra difficulty option - easier
human player can run into an enemy unit when using enchanted roads pathfinding (hopefully fixed)
AI is not trying to dispel Haste from an item
AI stacks, after an attack, does not move next turn (fixed)
Great wasting destroys any pacifying effects from city buildings
AI priests are now capable to cast healing
the "250 production" bug allowing you to miraculously complete any production, gone
Conjurer trait now rounds 25% mana bonus on monster maintenance up (2 maintenance -> 1 saved, 5 -> 1 saved, 6 ->2 saved)
Invulnerability and Possession now can be dispelled
Dispel from all pre-combat spells now actually fonctions!
Dispel evil is impossible against non-dead, non-chaos units
a hero will not disenchant the positive spells from his own peers (second attempt)
removed text "Endurance, as swiftness spell"
looping music for 'Building was completed' was removed from the game to avoid CPU consummation
you will see Demons and Werewolves in lairs, also Air elemental and Phantom Beasts had their values switched (corrected)

(World creation)
fortress creation has been optimized and runs without any delays, in the same quality
all races can be AI wizard's starting races on impossible
SOM research does now costs 60% (was only 5%, a bug) of its value for wizards with 11 books
Torin and Alorra won't have arcane power, useless to them
small lairs monster cash has had range increased; big lairs has got bigger minimum to avoid being actually small
fixed a bug where the game would sometime fail to give a lesser companion in the lair

(AI)
AI ships - earlier expansion based on world_size
AI pathfinding is not updated (unit blindly bumps into your army) - should be fixed
AI should care more about the closer units in combat (reversed)
AI mana leak dispelling obsession
AI aggressive mvt in cmbt (temporally reversed, before better solution can be found)
AI contra immunity factor is less important in combat casting
AI is not getting scared by Immolation

Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #852
stinkywizzleteats

Kyrub thanks for the patch. I have a question though.

#1 What was the motivation or idea behind making units entering lairs automatically win or lose? I started to play with your patch and sent my swords men / spearmen into a guardian spirit node and instead of it switching to a battle it said I was defeated.

I have played this game for over a thousand hours easily. I have been playing it religiously for over 10 years. I think its great there are other people out there with such a passion for the game. To me, it is to the computer what games like D&D and Heroes Quest were to board games, or MTG was to card games. Its unfortunate that company politics and licenses have stood in the way of it being a powerhouse. We are talking about a game that if developed correctly with more backstory would rival series like Warhammer and similar games in popularity. I strongly feel that the game is so good it could stand on its own in its current format on a major console system with just the graphics updated and bugs fixed and more back story more streamlining and multiplay feature perfected.

I have a couple more questions

#2 Have you played a patch somebody released called "2.0" available here
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...527&pid=564960

They also talk about your patches there. Do you have an opinion on the 2.0. Im wondering about the lair win/loss decision and would be interested in one of your other patches without that feature, or maybe i could try it if I understood the motive behind it.

#3 Has anyone developed a reliable master of magic multiplayer system? I have to concede its my favorite game of all time and my desire to play it is on par with addiction. I would even be open to considering a system whereby I have to link two computers together if thats possible.
stinkywizzleteats is offline                         Send a private message to stinkywizzleteats
Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #853
kyrubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkywizzleteats View Post
Kyrub thanks for the patch. I have a question though.

#1 What was the motivation or idea behind making units entering lairs automatically win or lose?
That is not a feature. Go immediately to Game -> Settings ->
and UNCHECK "Strategic Combat". You'll get the battles back. (This change was necessary to enable so called extra-difficulty options in the Settings screen.)

Quote:
#2 Have you played a patch somebody released called "2.0"
I have not played Aureus mod - but I play rarely these days. I think it's playable, but there are many drastic changes there (people have complained). It is a shrewd attempt, which was, at the time, limited by many unknown locations in exe file. - We are on another level, today. I have made straight AI improvements in 1.40. Lately, a very experienced player told me he lost a game on Hard difficulty.
If there's one thing I can hardly take about Aureus' mod, it is the version number. I mean, a mod = MoM 2.0 version? Huh.

Quote:
#3 Has anyone developed a reliable master of magic multiplayer system?
Short answer: no. There were several attempts, multiplayer shell for MoM (unstable), momime project on roughseas.ca, that is half dead now. No multiplayer - and none seems coming, if you ask me.

Old 14-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #854
kyrubb

version 1.40j

Major instability issue corrected. Previous version was unpplayable - apologies.

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4211

Old 18-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #855
-Catwalk-

Quote:
I have made straight AI improvements in 1.40. Lately, a very experienced player told me he lost a game on Hard difficulty.
I believe that said player also said he played klackons and was stressing out to beat the scenario ahead of other players using high elves or halflings. Mitigating circumstances IMO, and I'm sure said very experienced player will never lose on Hard again.

Old 22-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #856
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catwalk- View Post
I believe that said player also said he played klackons and was stressing out to beat the scenario ahead of other players using high elves or halflings. Mitigating circumstances IMO, and I'm sure said very experienced player will never lose on Hard again.
Klackons? A fairer handicap to himself would have been closing his eyes and guessing at what his opponents were doing.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 15-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #857
Catnub

We're waking up at RB again and now have a remake project in the works. I've also resumed work on Catnip and hope (again) to have a release sometime soonish. Drop by http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/f...splay.php?f=56

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #858
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Red Magic

Is there any good way to abuse this color? There are funny strats for the other schools, but this one just seems too plain. The 11-book choices for chaos sort of suck (at the start, you could only cast chaos spawn, efreet, or metal fires... blah).

The only thing I thought of was this
Artificer + Runemaster + 5 Chaos books + 2 books from 2 schools (runemaster)
This allows you to scrape up mana very quickly and make a "Destruction: Resist or be disintegrated" bow or sword at the beginning of the game that is supposed to disintegrate anything with less than 10 resistance, as per the Disintegrate spell. I tried it out, though, and the mod appeared to have no effect whatsoever. Christ.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 28-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #859
CrybKeeper
Game freak

Default Bump and Quote Myself

Yes tristanzz, use this game editor to cheat it up or simply balance the game starting stats a tiny bit ;-) You could add just a few extra starting spells to yourself, or give yourself god like spell ability at very start.

Have used this game editor dozens and dozens of times and am very familiar with how it works, if anyone has any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrybKeeper View Post
Just a heads up everyone, There actually was a hastely made editor for MoM PC version:

I found and used this game/trainer/editor. It doesn't take long to figure out using this game editor You can edit both planes, by simply clicking 'Tab'. I can take away my enemies food, or add special Nodes to my own cities, etc. =)

It works in DOS mode, with the standard DOS commands. There are two EXEcute files and Includes a somewhat helpful, help file. This editor allows you to, edit the map(EDMAP.EXE), or edit your attributes and spells(hit F5 to add spells), gold, armor, fame, hero and champion edits, plus more(EDMOM.EXE), of any previously saved games.
Simply drag the chosen EXE file into DOSBox and open your previously saved game.
It will be something like this - 'edmap save7.gam'

Have discovered, this editor works if you load the game by dragging MAGIC.EXE into DosBox and playing, saving and editing from that playable EXE file.

LINK: http://www.mofunzone.com/game_traine...of_magic.shtml

Also, the manual and spell book are still avialable for download, as mentioned here in this thread, a couple years back.

LINKS:

SpellBook(pdf):http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.642

English Manual(pdf):http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.641

EDIT:

Use the F1 key, to understand how most of this editor works.

This image is of the EDMOM.EXE screen. I have tested this one out, for the most part. The basic stuff, does save and change in game, successfully.

I edited my gold in this shot, from around 1000gp, to 11,000 or so. It Works quite well!

Last edited by CrybKeeper; 28-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.
CrybKeeper is offline                         Send a private message to CrybKeeper
Old 26-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #860
Camille2006

Smile New site

Hi everybody!

Please read my interactive manual of the videogame "master of magic" : http://masterofmagic.free.fr/english

Enjoy and please suggest some improvements about my site !
Camille2006 is offline                         Send a private message to Camille2006