Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

I've got trustworthy sources of that TheVoid makes a top-notch Ragú :whistle:
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 17-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenon@Jan 17 2006, 01:01 AM
first I thought WTF is gnocchi?
Well, they're not exactly dumplings. They're made of potatoes (that's true enough), so naturally they're not pasta. Anyway - have a look *: *
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
rlbell
Game freak

Terror from the Deep Lasagna

Get a pound each of Xarquid and Lobsterman claw meat (as I have yet to see either of these in my local supermarket and I am a tad leery of getting my own, I substitute scallops and shrimp; although, lobstermeat and crabmeat should also work [real expensive, though]).

Get two bell peppers (for colour I choose one green and one red), two large onions and twelve medium to large mushrooms. Chop up the vegetables and sautee them in either olive oil, or butter. If you can make your own alfredo sauce (otherwise buy some prepared stuff ahead of time), pour about .8 litres over the vegetables and add some garlic powder. The terror part comes from the three to five tablespoons of Madras curry powder; although, the alfredo sauce will absorb most of the lingering afterburn of the curry.

I have no idea how to prepare the Xarquid or lobsterman claw meat, so I will cross that bridge when I get to it. If you can buy precooked shrimp, just do it. Otherwise, you should cook the shrimp ahead of time, or compare the baking time of this lasagna to another baked shrimp dish and adjust accordingly. The scallops are stirred into the sauce raw, along with the shrimp, just before laying the noodles and sauce into the baking dishes.

Preparing the lasagna noodles: Unlike spaghetti, linguini, or orzo (to name a few), you cannot just test a noodle to see if it is cooked, as there are so few of them. Fortunately, there is enough moisture in the sauce that you can take the noodles off the stove when they get limp and they will finish cooking in the oven.

While you are heating the water to boil the noodles (every box of pasta that I have ever seen has workable cooking instruction, so I will avoid repetition), shred 700g of mozerella (sp?) cheese.
When you drop the noodles into the boiling water, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit (Canada has been officially metric for the last thirty years, but all cooking is done to imperial measures; even though, all food is purchased in SI units).

Every cook has their own preferences for building up a pan of lasagna. Mine are as follows:
First lay down a layer of noodles, then add a layer of the sauce, and then a layer of cheese. I add second layer of noodles, sauce and cheese. Finally I put a top layer of noodles and complete the pan with a final layer of cheese. I cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for thirty minutes.

I have only done this recipe once, but the sauce was enough for two pans of lasagna prepared, as above. the first was nine by thirteen inches, and the second was eight by eleven inches. As my inlaws were going to be there, and they are not terribly fond of really spicy food, I only used one tablespoon of curry.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 17-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Gnocchi can also be made with a type of cheese, and practically no one can tell the difference. Gnocchi is best in a Cabonera sauce (alfredo with peas and proscuitto), also called a Suprema sauce by some people.

And Gnocchi is considered a pasta, as far as I know, because the potato cream stuff (or cheese) is encased inside a pasta shell, so it really IS almost like a dumpling. It's as much of a pasta as Ravioli is.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 17-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #25
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Nope, no pasta anywhere in site. I think you're confusing it with Tortellini. Gnocchi are not in any way conected with pasta (at least they shouldn't be), but they can be served with any kind of sauce pasta can be served with.

And I think you forgot to mention that Cabonera sauce involves EGGS (or is that what Alfredo should mean?).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Ooh.. I need to add a recipie..

Ooh, idea..

Tuna Sandwich
Tin of Tuna
Mayonaise
Ground White Pepper
Salt
Lemon/Lime Juice (optional)
2xBread Slices
Butter
Cucumber/Other salad (optional)

1: Open the tin of tuna and drain of the brine (salt water) that the tuna is kept in. Personally, I give the brine to my dog on her food, she likes it. In the normal world, its more likely cats will enjoy this.
2: Empty the tuna into a bowl/something else to hold it in.
3: Add 2 1/2 fork-fuls of mayonaise (feels free to change this slightly). This keeps the tuna together aswell as being tasty
4: Mix the tuna and mayonaise with a fork.
5: Add small amounts of Ground White Pepper, Salt and Lemon/Lime Juice (the last is optional). Use a sprinkling of ground white pepper, so it creates a light covering. Very little salt is needed. Lemon/Lime juice needs only be 3/4 drops.
6: Find 2 pieces of bread, and buttr both on one side
7: Use a fork to add tuna to one of the break peices
8: (Optional) Add thinly cut cucumber, or another salad of your liking
9: Put the snadwich together
10: Eat.

The amounts can be changed, if you want to. Personal taste, really. The lack of defined amounts allows you to mix and match. Usually there is some spare tuna.This can be kept in a fridge, until next time. I've never known it to go off, so far.

My dog loves this stuff. She loves her disappearing tuna sandwich trick. Its like my disappearing chocolate profiterole trick.Except faster, and in 1 mouthful.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #27
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Danny, I'm not a big fan of tuna, but I reccomend adding boiled eggs in both tuna and shrimp salats
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 18-01-2006, 03:22 AM   #28
Kearnsy
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 17 2006, 10:35 PM
Nope, no pasta anywhere in site. I think you're confusing it with Tortellini. Gnocchi are not in any way conected with pasta (at least they shouldn't be), but they can be served with any kind of sauce pasta can be served with.

And I think you forgot to mention that Cabonera sauce involves EGGS (or is that what Alfredo should mean?).
Ok let me clear things up:
Gnochi is primarly potato, flour and eggs and a form of fat (usually butter). It is considered to be pasta (it contains the primary ingredients and in essence is only really addin potato or cheese (or farina for that matter). Its also really easy to make and quite quick actually.
Is definetaly best served with a cream based sauce such as cabanara, afredo or even a thin bechemele sauce.

oh, and cabanara has eggs and alfredo has more cream and garlic.

@rlbell: Nice idea!

k:
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 18-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #29
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 17 2006, 02:35 PM

That is what I meant by Alfredo sauce (like, Fettucini Alfredo?)

Gnocchi is the italian word for Dumpling, actually plural for gnocco.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 18-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #30
punch999
The true Shadow President

Is vanilla icecream toast really actually good?
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999