Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-07-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Evad
Game freak

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this game, and if so what your impressions of it were.

Personally, I found the idea of an army simulation kind of intriquing. The game forces you to go through basic training before you are permitted to go online, which is an interesting idea. The training courses are very well done, and you can access more advanced courses upon completion of the basic ones. The fact that this game is absolutely free seemed like icing on the cake.

The honour system in the game allows you to gain experience and reputaton, and in doing so allows you to modify your equipment. Adding a grenade launcher to your m16 for instance. This was probably the most interesting aspect of the game for me.

Although the graphics in the game left a lot to be desired, they managed to convey the tactical sim. adequately. The biggest draw back I found, was that with the size of the maps, I found it hard to scout out the enemies at farther distances. There seems to be fog, and I'm not sure if this is the limitation of the karma engine, or if it was engineered to be this way as in a fog of war. Regardless of the answer I found it to be irratating.

One of the things that annoyed me the most about this game was the chat interface. It was next to impossible to read any of the messages as the font was incredibly small. On top of this, the message screen would also display recent deaths, as well as anyone logging in or out of the server. Basically a console screen. This makes me wonder why they would even bother giving you access to a completely different console, which was basically the chat interface but with a fancy box around it. For anyone with a mic this is not a problem obviously, but taking that for granted seems like short-sightedness on the developers (you know who) part.

Last but not least, if you are planning on trying this game, try to get a decent bunch of players into the game with you. I'm not sure how you could do this without about 15 buddies on a lan. The reason I mention this is because I tried to play tonight, and I was team-killed (killed by my own team mate) 4 times consecutivey. I'm not meaning to whine, just pointing out that just because it is the official game of the us army, and an ultra realistic simulation of the armed forces doesn't mean you aren't still playing against a bunch of immature 13 year olds. This main problem with this being that when you die you have to sit through the entire match and watch the action unfold. In my experience this managed to take between 6-10 minutes.
Scale 1-10

Graphics: 7.5
Gameplay: training 8 \ online 6
Sound: 7
Fun Factor: 6
Not sure what else to rank as this is my first game review.
What do you guys think of this game
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Never tried the game, partly because of the limited single player options, mainly because it forces you to go through the training. Not my kind of thing. I consider all games that force you to go through training and tutorials before playing the actual game, to belong in the suck category.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

To tell you the truth, I personally find a sort of semi-official army game a bit of a sick idea, but maybe that's just me... I did have a look at the website after reading your post, Evad, but I don't think I'll try it.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

This game is just one big "recruitment engine" for the US army.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by MdaG@Jul 6 2005, 10:06 AM
This game is just one big "recruitment engine" for the US army.
Ya, a lot of people think of it like that. I haven't tried it, mainly because its a big download, I think...I already have CS:S and stuff like that, don't need another "realistic" shooter.... :tai:
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 08-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Sauvastika

I didn't like it. Never did like realistic FPS's, plus I hated the honor system, or whatever it was called.
Sauvastika is offline                         Send a private message to Sauvastika
Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

It's a good game, IF punkbuster doesn't cause problems, like it does in my case

*moved to multiplayer general talk*
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 08-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
mm_pie
Forum hobbit

Talking

Yep! I've tried the game, I thought it was a bit hard actually. For all of those who want it, you'll find a link to download from the Gnutella Network (p2p network) at MagnetMix. The Graphics and Interface were quite good, until you went online. This was on my old PC and it works fine on my new one, but do not attempt with less than 512mb of ram. Still that little glitch with the chat interface though. It also would take an age to download without broadband. The missions are fairly addictive and you always want to try the next one. A very good game, but you have to stick to it to get interested.
:Titan:

Interface: 6.5
Gameplay: 9

Definetly worth a try.
mm_pie is offline                         Send a private message to mm_pie
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

its also easy to get killed without ever seeing gunfire. you hear it, but no, you cant see it. plus its impossible to do med school.. Im no doctor!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

i would rather play counter noob then this... honostly :whistle:

for those not familiar with counter strike it goes like this you got an objective you run arround and shoot people then you die then maybe if the game has tetris allowed to be played you stray from that playing tetris while in the foreground people are shooting each other then it says ''terrorists win'' and your like HAY I GOT A NEW TETRIS HIGH SCORE and your buddys are like we lost...
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy