Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #111
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Just picked up the new Dream Theater Live DVD 20th Anniversary, Score, incredible is the only way to describe it, lots of great songs, one from each album except octavarium which was their latest. What was great about this one is that they play the entire Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance (Which is 42 mins long) with an orchestra, after that the remaining songs used the orchestra too, including Octavrium (24 mins of epic goodness ) everyone in the band was solid on their parts, great DVD for any fans of the band and would definitely put it as one of the best live dvds of all time. 2 disc too which comes with a history of the band and bonus tracks never seen before on their live work.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 31-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #112
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iberian Wolf @ Aug 30 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]251811[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

my favourite band would probably be Cult of Luna... next in the list may be Atreyu, though their last album didn't feel as good as the other ones. I also like Between the Buried and Me and Number Twelve Looks Like You a lot. You guys should also give a listen to Raein, Saetia and Daitro.

[/b]
Cult of Luna are... utterly incredible.

Atreyu are... incredibly bad in my opinion :bleh:

Although I never thought I'd hear the two bands in the same sentence.. they're at completely opposite ends of the metal spectrum

I love Cult of Luna though.. the way they mix post-rock-esque soundscapes with heavy doom metal is just beautiful and brutal at the same time.

I've tried to listen to Atreyu, but they always came across to me as a bit of a trendcore band. The vocals and lyrics are pretty awful, and the songs just sound painful to me. Although I do like the song 'lip gloss and black', it has a nice piano section if I recall correctly.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 31-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #113
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Well, Ateryu's not even metal to begin with. :P And from what I've heard not even that great at what they do, way overrated band.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 31-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #114
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Aug 31 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]251995[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I know what you mean by it getting annoying listening to people talk about it, believe me, I experience the same thing at my school with System of A Down and Nickelback (both bands i've barely heard any music from).

What I can't seem to figure out though, is exactly how they became so mainstream. I mean, one listen to their title album and Iowa can surely tell you that it isn't exactly "casual listener" friendly...did they by any chance happen to go mainstream with their new album?
[/b]
I think it's because they were around at the height of Nu-Metal when bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit were doing quite well in the charts, but Slipknot are much heavier and more 'metal' than either of those bands.

I remember that Iowa was a number 1 album here in the UK, (where the number 1 album is usually some form of pop or some singer/songwriter thing). Although I think Limp Bizkit might have got a number 1 album with the Chocolate Starfish one, and I remember Staind's 'Break the Cycle' got there too.

So I believe that it was to do with the fact that Nu-Metal had brought rock and metal music back into the mainstream eye at that time, and bands like Slipknot were able to enjoy success off the back of that. My local radio station even played their songs a few times! They don't usually play anything heavier than the Goo Goo Dolls, heh.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 01-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #115
Iowa
Game Wizzard

What I don't understand is people calling Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit metal...they aren't even really nu-metal in my opinion, Limp Bizkit is just straight up rap (very good rap, in my opinion) and Linkin Park is alt-rock.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #116
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 1 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]252199[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
What I don't understand is people calling Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit metal...they aren't even really nu-metal in my opinion, Limp Bizkit is just straight up rap (very good rap, in my opinion) and Linkin Park is alt-rock.
[/b]

The proble is some iluminate, that don´t understand music say all kind of rocks it´s all the same, but they are wrong, and Metal is not rock.... :angry:
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #117
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Oh there is a ton of bands that are called metal and the media loves to say it too, which makes it worse. Yeah Linkin park would prob actually call them more nu-metal, but not close to metal, Korn same is nu-metal, System of a down nu-metal, guns and roses hard rock not metal, AC/DC/ hard rock not metal, Tool progressive rock, or even hard rock, close to metal but not quite. So many more could list, cause yeah lot of places assume well it's a heavy sound must be metal.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #118
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Yeah...metal often falls victim to shameless mislabeling...
Old 01-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #119
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Indeed MTV and VH1 do that very often. It's a shame cause really they assume so much from certain bands, when really they should check around and see more often than not the so called bands they label are metal some are not.

But it's been good to see the last year that metal is hitting it's resurrangence thanks to in part to strong well known bands, which is causing other more obsecure bands to be checked out, granted for a lot of the cases, it's now happening like 10 or even more years after they started but least it's happening.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #120
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Well, Ateryu's not even metal to begin with. tongue.gif And from what I've heard not even that great at what they do, way overrated band.[/b]
You couldn't have said it any better.

Quote:
Oh there is a ton of bands that are called metal and the media loves to say it too, which makes it worse. Yeah Linkin park would prob actually call them more nu-metal, but not close to metal, Korn same is nu-metal, System of a down nu-metal, guns and roses hard rock not metal, AC/DC/ hard rock not metal, Tool progressive rock, or even hard rock, close to metal but not quite. So many more could list, cause yeah lot of places assume well it's a heavy sound must be metal.[/b]
But lots of people who listen to metal would also listen to some of those listed there, so i guess thats why the media boxes them in with metal.

ooh BTW theres a new Mushroomhead cd coming out :w00t:
sadly i don't think J Mann is with the band anymore.
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy