Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > Tutorials
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Neville
Super Freak

I've been hearing about CP/M for ages, but I've only used under the Amstrad PCW emulators. If I understood right, that OS was a precursor of DOS and CP/M programs could be run in several computers as far as they didn't include graphics.
Neville is offline                         Send a private message to Neville
Old 16-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post
I've been hearing about CP/M for ages, but I've only used under the Amstrad PCW emulators. If I understood right, that OS was a precursor of DOS and CP/M programs could be run in several computers as far as they didn't include graphics.
I think it CP/M came after DOS, like half year - year later.

This is how I find what I like to emulate, like some wired setup computer wise or software wise - I read old PC Magazines from 80s and then I hunt software / emulator to check it out.

For example, this kind of magazines: https://archive.org/search.php?query...r%3A%221980%22

Last edited by Rogue; 16-10-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 16-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
Neville
Super Freak

CP/M coming up after DOS? I guess it's possible. I used 8 bit computers before PCs, and sometimes I find hard to reconcile that PCs were a thing as early as in 1981.

I also like to browse older magazines... I was incredibly happy when I found all numbers of Micromania -the local computer magazine- had been preserved as PDFs. However, when I tried using them as a guide for must-try games I had to stop. It's incredible how many of the games they show in the news section ended up in development hell. As for the reviews, they are often hit and miss. They tended to give very high ratings, and to ignore obvious problems with major releases.

Last edited by Neville; 16-10-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Not CP/M as os, but one made for IBM PC.

I grow up with 8 bit computers as well, and I was reading about PCs, but nobody I knew had one, as they were way to expensive for my country of origin. Once i moved to Amiga, I still have one at home and emulate it a lot.

Only thing I was not successful installing/emulating was AIX for 386. I have OS, but it is very hardware specific and I was not able to install it.

I do have one server to play with (Aix 5.3) and we have 2 servers in production (AIX 7.1). It is my favorite *NIX system, right after FreeBSD.
Old 17-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Neville
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Not CP/M as os, but one made for IBM PC.
Yes, I undestood. CP/M for other systems has been around since the 70s, or so I've heard.

Never heard of AIX before... to be honest I've only used Unix / Linux builds a few times, and Ubuntu was the one I preferred. Unless you count Android, of course.

Also never tried OS/2. From the included instructions in some games, it sounds difficult to set up.

As for Amiga, it was like the holy grail to me in the 80s and 90s. I was green with envy whenever I saw Amiga screenshots in game magazines. I had to learn a little bit about the system, but I was very happy when I finally got WinUAE and Amiga in a box working. Lovely system, a pity CBM let it fall behind the PC.
Old 17-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, made me look into it, I remember reading about it. Here is Wiki, if we can trust it.

Quote:
OS support

IBM Disk Operating System version 1.1 by Microsoft
Which operating system IBM customers would choose was at first unclear.[81][23] Although the company expected that most would use PC DOS[48] IBM supported using CP/M-86—which became available six months after DOS[143]—or UCSD p-System as operating systems.[60] IBM promised that it would not favor one operating system over the others; the CP/M-86 support surprised Gates, who claimed that IBM was "blackmailed into it".[81] IBM was correct, nonetheless, in its expectation; one survey found that 96.3% of PCs were ordered with the $40 DOS compared to 3.4% for the $240 CP/M-86.[144]

The IBM PC's ROM BASIC and BIOS supported cassette tape storage. PC DOS itself did not support cassette tape storage. PC DOS version 1.00 supported only 160 kB SSDD floppies, but version 1.1, which was released nine months after the PC's introduction, supported 160 kB SSDD and 320 kB DSDD floppies. Support for the slightly larger nine sector per track 180 kB and 360 kB formats arrived 10 months later in March 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Pe...ter#OS_support
FS-UAE is much easier for people who never used Amiga before, but glad you figured out WinUAE. For me, ClassicWB is much better choice for OS (you still need WB 3.0 or 3.1 to install it). ClassicWB comes in couple different versions, I use Full on Amiga, but P96 is far better choice for emulation.

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Sorry, didn't want to get this far off main topic here.

I like what you doing here, please continue. Are XT and AT next?
Old 17-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Neville
Super Freak

Quote:

FS-UAE is much easier for people who never used Amiga before, but glad you figured out WinUAE. For me, ClassicWB is much better choice for OS (you still need WB 3.0 or 3.1 to install it). ClassicWB comes in couple different versions, I use Full on Amiga, but P96 is far better choice for emulation.

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Sorry, didn't want to get this far off main topic here.

I like what you doing here, please continue. Are XT and AT next?
Yes, packages like ClassicWB are great. I re-tried Amiga in a box a while ago, couldn't even complete the install process... it was build for UAE v8.0.8!!

All I needed to "get" Amiga emulation is that higher Kickstart doesn't mean higher compatibility and a few other notions about the system.

As for doing more PC machines, I don't know, really. I'd like to, but I don't feel much affinity to machines I haven't heard of / tried in real life. We'll see.

Last edited by Neville; 17-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 17-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #18
Neville
Super Freak

OK, for my next trick you're going to need a high-end PC... does anyone remember "The System 16 Arcade Emulator"? It was one of the first arcade emulators I ever used, together with Callus and DOS versions of MAME.

I requires a P133 CPU, an S3 Virge (it crashes with lesser videocards, don't know why) and to set your PCem window as "resizable".

As for what it does, it emulates certain SEGA arcade titles, such as "E.SWAT", "Shinobi" or "Golden Axe". Back in the days, it didn't get any much cooler than this. Personally, I never could get enough of "Out Run".

This should also run under DOSBox, but the last time I tried it ran way too fast. My guess is that it relies on VSYNC to calculate the right speed on faster systems.
Old 17-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

LOL,

WinUAE 0.8.8 should work fine on pcem.

Wonder if you guys know about LaunchBox, emulation front end. At some point its creator was bored and created DOS version of front end.

It works really great on DOS computer...

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/fil...ecial-edition/
Old 17-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
Neville
Super Freak

Quote:
LOL,

WinUAE 0.8.8 should work fine on pcem.
I wouldn't bother. Its compatibility (even for a plain A500) is way below today's WinUAE.

Quote:
Wonder if you guys know about LaunchBox, emulation front end. At some point its creator was bored and created DOS version of front end.

It works really great on DOS computer...

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/fil...ecial-edition/
I know about Launchbox, but I didn't know about the DOS version. Looks like something work trying. I didn't use a shell like application back in the day, but I've found out even a half-decent one like DOSSHELL can come in handy.

EDIT: It's pretty decent and lightweight. The main disadvantage is that it won't let you run files from your harddrive directly, as other shells do, instead you need to create a profile for every program you want to run. Still quite good.

For my emulated DOS machines I prefer a free Norton Commander clone called UFO: Universal File Operator.

Last edited by Neville; 17-10-2018 at 05:34 PM.