Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Sturmrabe

Default Search failed me: Dosbox save games/chars, Gold Box

I KNOW this has been asked before, but getting an error when trying to save created chars in Gold Box type games (Playing Buck Rogers Matrix Cubed ATM, but like them all) and getting "error 3" when trying to save...

Halp!

Also, on an unrelated note, can someone post the line I need to place in my config file to make my DOSBOX config file to make it open in 800x600 please... I have tried to edit the line that is relevant, but maybe my syntax is not just perfect or something...
Sturmrabe is offline                         Send a private message to Sturmrabe
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Make sure none of your files in your game directory are read only. Some archive and/or unarchivers are bent on flagging any files coming out of an archive as read-only. This will prevent you to save games in games which already have their save slots pre-created.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

windowresolution=800x600
output=ddraw

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Sturmrabe

the output=ddraw was what I was missing for sure on the windowed resolution issue! Thanks!

Still won't save for me though, here is what I've figured out:

Suprisingly it WILL let me start/play the game without DOSBOX, now when you start without DOSBOX it asks you config questions like video settings, sound, etc.. it also asks you the save path, and then it WILL let you save but when you try to start the same game in DOSBOX you still get the error "Unexpected error during save:3"...

Now I've deleted and recreated the save folder to make sure it was writable, and I have removed the archive and read only bits from all files (though they only had archive bits when I was trying to run the game/dosbox from my memory stick, I have since moved DOSBOX and the game to my HDD)...

So I can save outside of DOSBOX fine, but not in it...the save path is still in the config file of the game, but apperently DOSBOX is not using that, and while the easy answer is just running the game not in DOSBOX, that really doesn't work either as the game is running WAY too fast without DOSBOX to slow down the CPU cycles (plus it runs fullsceen and on my resolution that looks like poop).

So thats what I know so far, thanks for the help!
Sturmrabe is offline                         Send a private message to Sturmrabe
Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try disabling dynamic core and see if it changes anything. Also, manually delete the current savegame files.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Sturmrabe

core=auto at the moment...

Should it be "simple" or "normal"? (that and "dynamic" or "auto" are the other choices)

EDIT: tried both simple and normal and no change

Last edited by Sturmrabe; 02-03-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
the save path is still in the config file of the game,
What is the exact path in the config, then?
And what is the MOUNT line you use in DOSBox?

-- Reed Richards
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
Scatty
Treasure hunter

It's quite simple, really. You don't mount the game folder in DosBox, instead you mount the drive itself, like
mount c c:\
Then you go to the mounted drive c: with simple
c:
Switch to the game folder manually with
cd gamefolder
Replace gamefolder with the actual folder name. Let's say it's located in c:\games\Gold, then it would be
cd games\gold
That should fix the issue with saving, because then the game will be able to find it's folder to save into. In the end the entire command row should look like that (for putting at the end of dosbox.conf file for running at startup each time you start DosBox):

mount c c:\
c:
cd games\gold
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

About that, I always personally found moronic the warning message when you mount c:\. I of course understand why people who never used DOS before could be confused and it's always better for a programmer to protect himself with those warnings... But I'm pretty sure oldschoolers like me think the same thing.

There is no difference at all in DOSBox execution if you mount your c:\ drive, and there is no more danger in execution than if you're mounting any other subfolder...

If you never use the delete command in DOSBox, I suggest to everybody who is listening to downright mount their c:\ drive directly. I simply can't fathom how you could destroy your hard disk using DOSBox if you don't to it directly yourself with a command... And it might also prevent errors the user have no way to understand.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

I will play devil's advocate EOF. :cheesy:

Is there any reason why you shouldn't mount a dir (c:\oldgames) as C: ?
No, no reason whatsoever.
It has only advantages to mount a dir as C:.
For starters it will keep your C: a bit clean, as some old dosgames saves directly on c: (doom ...) and some installers wants to alter config.sys .....
(Don't forget that you can run dosbox in W98, do you really want those old installers alter config/autoexec?)
Plus it makes a complete mess of your c: .

If you not on a admin account FORGET mounting/writing directly to your C:.

And most important: do you really want those n00bs working on C:? I don't, really not.

Never been on Linux or Unix EOF? ya know, those OS that everyone consider much more secure then Windows? One of the reasons is that you don't work on your root. Forget installing dosbox/mounting using your root on those.
But yeah, lets all mount our C directly in Windows, so that we all can whine a bit more how unsecure Windows is ... LOLZ.

Never been on Vista yet EOF? MS begins (FINALLY!!!) doing the same way, secured. ('Bout time if you ask me). Vista gonna love a C: mount, really.

And add some more bla bla bla .... :laugh:

Of course my question still is:
Is there any advantage or reason why you should mount C:? No.
None whatsoever. Period.

Further info: Vogons.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider