Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Default Nephi's Quest - Community Playthrough

To the moderators: I'm not entirely sure if this thread is in the correct subforum. Maybe it should be moved to "Favorite oldies and newbies"?

Nephi's Quest is a game based on mormon beliefs that I want to review for awhile now. Since I'm unable complete it on my own, I thought I'd better call out for help here!
I tell you how far I've come and challenge you to try to get further than me. Be prepared though, you will need a truckload full of patience and a will as strong as steel! Make no mistake about it: this game sucks! It's probably the worst game I played for so long, and that's saying a lot. Still, the bugs can be hilarious at times, as are the various ways you can be imprisoned or otherwise become unable to finish the game. Did you know, for example, that if you trink alcohol, specifically wine, you're unable to do anything? I mean, you can still walk upright like normal, but you can't examine objects, leave buildings or take anything. You're just unable to because "you're stuck in a drunken stupor". What an unexpectedly educational moment!

You can download the game here. Additionally the archive contains the manual and my save games, so you can continue from where I left off. The sixth save slot, "Everything I could get", is the one you should play on from!

You play as Nephi, the son of Lehi. Your father received a command from god to travel to the tree of knowledge. You help to prepare the journey, while your brothers throw a party and have actual fun. The beginning is set in and around Jerusalem, but I doubt that the depiction is even close to historically accurate. The streets are devoid of life, not a single person can be seen on them, and there are only very few residential houses, most of the buildings are stores for various items, like a store for ropes, another for bows,...
Even more funny, while Nephi apparently lived around 600BC, he always carries around scripture with him. At various points you can click the scripture icon and receive a verse from the bible or Book of Mormon. I'd say that's a bit anachronistic.

I'm not sure if the game tries to convert people to the mormon faith, but if it does, I doubt that it ever was or would be successful. There are two text files on the install disk that are much more upfront about mormon beliefs and ethical values though. There's even a whole argument against abortion, that at first sounds quite even handed, stating where both sides of the debate are coming from, before throwing the following line at you:
Quote:
In the case of abortion, the court ruled that unborn children, indeed are no different from cows, pigs, or chickens and can be slaughtered mercilessly as Hitler slaughtered the Jews. Only this time, with full protection from the law.

Some words about the controls:
Basically, they're terrible. You control the game per numpad, but only if NUMLOCK is deactivated, which means that all the laptop users will have to press the "Fn" key additionally to one of the numpad buttons. You switch between movement and icon selection mode with the "-" key and confirm an icon selection or skip a line of dialogue with "+".
There's an alternative keyboard control method involving the "F" keys(!), but it's even worse, so it's not worth mentioning.
You can select the mouse as an input method, but it's only usable for movement, but not for icon selection, which means the game is unplayable that way!

The title screen contains some music from your PC speaker, but otherwise you only hear it again when you receive points. I'd recommend listening to some of your favourite music while playing Nephi's Quest, it will make the experience much more easier to bear. I enjoyed the album "Trespass" from Genesis a lot while playing.

I think some clarification is needed about what some of the interface icons actually do, so here goes:

= Look/Examine

= Talk

= Pray

= Take

= Buy/Pay

= Give/Drop

= Enter

= Exit/Leave

= Read Scripture

Gameplaywise, Nephi's Quest is, as far as I played, just one huge fetch quest. Your father gives you a grocery list of items you have to get in town. It's all just visiting stores and buying items, sometimes the same ones repeatedly.

Graphically, the game is drawn at an angular isometric perspective, but the map I drew is from a top-down perspective. If a location on the map you want to get to is straight down from the position you're standing at (like the one at the start), you have to move diagonally right-down. The analog for up is diagonally left-up.

Map in higher resolution

What follows is a walkthrough of "Nephi's Quest" as far as I made it:

Go to Nephi's home (1), enter, talk to father Lehi, take list and 250 gold coins (+50), leave house

Go to 2 in town, enter, talk to shopkeeper, enter stable, buy camel (+10), leave

Enter building at 3, go to the shelf second from left, take salt (+10) 2x, pay shopkeeper, leave

Enter house to the right (4), pay shopkeeper and say yes (+10) 6x

Enter weapon store at 5, buy knife from the left shelf (+10) 2x, leave

Enter the adjacent house to the right (6), enter back room, buy robe (+10) 6x, leave store

Enter the house at 7, buy rope, leave

Enter 8, buy the steel bow on the left (+10), leave

Enter 9, buy basket (+10), buy candle (+10) 3x, leave

Enter 10, buy the four blankets (+40), leave

Enter 11, buy water bag in the left corner (+10) 3x, leave

Enter 12, talk to secretary, take business card (+5), leave

Enter 13, talk to Ishmael (+10). You'll receive olive oil

Enter Nephi's home again (1), enter through the right door, enter through the back door, take two blankets from the left chest (+20)

Items I was unable to find: 2 tents & seeds
Points so far: 385

Last edited by Ozzie; 17-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Ozzie is offline                         Send a private message to Ozzie
Old 19-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
dragonboybrazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
To the moderators: I'm not entirely sure if this thread is in the correct subforum. Maybe it should be moved to "Favorite oldies and newbies"?

Nephi's Quest is a game based on mormon beliefs that I want to review for awhile now. Since I'm unable complete it on my own, I thought I'd better call out for help here!
I tell you how far I've come and challenge you to try to get further than me. Be prepared though, you will need a truckload full of patience and a will as strong as steel! Make no mistake about it: this game sucks! It's probably the worst game I played for so long, and that's saying a lot. Still, the bugs can be hilarious at times, as are the various ways you can be imprisoned or otherwise become unable to finish the game. Did you know, for example, that if you trink alcohol, specifically wine, you're unable to do anything? I mean, you can still walk upright like normal, but you can't examine objects, leave buildings or take anything. You're just unable to because "you're stuck in a drunken stupor". What an unexpectedly educational moment!

You can download the game here. Additionally the archive contains the manual and my save games, so you can continue from where I left off. The sixth save slot, "Everything I could get", is the one you should play on from!

You play as Nephi, the son of Lehi. Your father received a command from god to travel to the tree of knowledge. You help to prepare the journey, while your brothers throw a party and have actual fun. The beginning is set in and around Jerusalem, but I doubt that the depiction is even close to historically accurate. The streets are devoid of life, not a single person can be seen on them, and there are only very few residential houses, most of the buildings are stores for various items, like a store for ropes, another for bows,...
Even more funny, while Nephi apparently lived around 600BC, he always carries around scripture with him. At various points you can click the scripture icon and receive a verse from the bible or Book of Mormon. I'd say that's a bit anachronistic.

I'm not sure if the game tries to convert people to the mormon faith, but if it does, I doubt that it ever was or would be successful. There are two text files on the install disk that are much more upfront about mormon beliefs and ethical values though. There's even a whole argument against abortion, that at first sounds quite even handed, stating where both sides of the debate are coming from, before throwing the following line at you:

Some words about the controls:
Basically, they're terrible. You control the game per numpad, but only if NUMLOCK is deactivated, which means that all the laptop users will have to press the "Fn" key additionally to one of the numpad buttons. You switch between movement and icon selection mode with the "-" key and confirm an icon selection or skip a line of dialogue with "+".
There's an alternative keyboard control method involving the "F" keys(!), but it's even worse, so it's not worth mentioning.
You can select the mouse as an input method, but it's only usable for movement, but not for icon selection, which means the game is unplayable that way!

The title screen contains some music from your PC speaker, but otherwise you only hear it again when you receive points. I'd recommend listening to some of your favourite music while playing Nephi's Quest, it will make the experience much more easier to bear. I enjoyed the album "Trespass" from Genesis a lot while playing.

I think some clarification is needed about what some of the interface icons actually do, so here goes:

= Look/Examine

= Talk

= Pray

= Take

= Buy/Pay

= Give/Drop

= Enter

= Exit/Leave

= Read Scripture

Gameplaywise, Nephi's Quest is, as far as I played, just one huge fetch quest. Your father gives you a grocery list of items you have to get in town. It's all just visiting stores and buying items, sometimes the same ones repeatedly.

Graphically, the game is drawn at an angular isometric perspective, but the map I drew is from a top-down perspective. If a location on the map you want to get to is straight down from the position you're standing at (like the one at the start), you have to move diagonally right-down. The analog for up is diagonally left-up.

Map in higher resolution

What follows is a walkthrough of "Nephi's Quest" as far as I made it:

Go to Nephi's home (1), enter, talk to father Lehi, take list and 250 gold coins (+50), leave house

Go to 2 in town, enter, talk to shopkeeper, enter stable, buy camel (+10), leave

Enter building at 3, go to the shelf second from left, take salt (+10) 2x, pay shopkeeper, leave

Enter house to the right (4), pay shopkeeper and say yes (+10) 6x

Enter weapon store at 5, buy knife from the left shelf (+10) 2x, leave

Enter the adjacent house to the right (6), enter back room, buy robe (+10) 6x, leave store

Enter the house at 7, buy rope, leave

Enter 8, buy the steel bow on the left (+10), leave

Enter 9, buy basket (+10), buy candle (+10) 3x, leave

Enter 10, buy the four blankets (+40), leave

Enter 11, buy water bag in the left corner (+10) 3x, leave

Enter 12, talk to secretary, take business card (+5), leave

Enter 13, talk to Ishmael (+10). You'll receive olive oil

Enter Nephi's home again (1), enter through the right door, enter through the back door, take two blankets from the left chest (+20)

Items I was unable to find: 2 tents & seeds
Points so far: 385
Tent Can be found in main house, blankets are on one side tents on the other
dragonboybrazil is offline                         Send a private message to dragonboybrazil