Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #41
fasolowycharlie
Default Dylan Dog comic books in Croatia

I was surprised to find out that Dylan Dog comics, claimed to be "widely unavaiable" outside of Italy, are actually adored in countries with considerable number of Croatian speakers. For a few decades it has been one of the most popular comic books to be found in any newsstand in Croatia, Bosnia, or Serbia. Published in Croatian, it is a bestseller in former Yugoslavia, along with another Italian comics sold as "Zagor" (originally: "Duello"). Cheers to comic fans in Italy!

Old 25-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #42
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The comics actually got a Polish edition too.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #43
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasolowycharlie View Post
I was surprised to find out that Dylan Dog comics, claimed to be "widely unavaiable" outside of Italy, are actually adored in countries with considerable number of Croatian speakers. For a few decades it has been one of the most popular comic books to be found in any newsstand in Croatia, Bosnia, or Serbia. Published in Croatian, it is a bestseller in former Yugoslavia, along with another Italian comics sold as "Zagor" (originally: "Duello"). Cheers to comic fans in Italy!
Happy to know that it has success even outside Italy

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 26-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #44
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I am surprised that you guys are surprised. Yugoslavia had many successful Italian comics. I think you can even read that on wikipedia... I know Dylan also had some English publishing, not sure is it England or States, but obviously didn't get similar attention by far. Yes, I think it was USA because of Groucho trademark legal issues they invented bald Groucho and gave him another name.

anyway, yes it was big in Yugoslavia, it is still published and read in Serbia, don't know about Croatia and Bosnia but I would be very surprised to hear that it is not published there anymore.

And not only Dylan. Alan Ford was probably the most successful comic in Yugoslavia. Also there were Tex, Mister No, Zagor, Commandant Mark, Great Blek, Marty, Corto Maltese... these comics are part of childhood for many of us born in 70es and 80es.

Personally, I guess I could say Mister No and Dylan are my favorites. I have to smile when I remember that when I was very young I didn't want to read Dylan because it is horror and I was scared I'm glad I eventually started. Big thanks to "Happy Thursday", local publisher for still publishing Dylan.

Oh, BTW, I was in London 2 years ago and went to find Craven Road 7 and see what's there. I found Cafe with people barely speaking English. They offered Dylan Dog meal with red meat included... well, I guess they were just told about significance of address and tried to make some money out of it. I added that info on wikipedia page, since I find it interesting. Also, it seems that now the cafe is called Dylan Dog.
On Craven Road 7A however is a very tight hotel. I went in just to look around and ther was this chief guy who is Greek and told me he used to notice people coming and looking and taking pictures. But he learned about Dylan shortly before I got there, because he hired Italian couple to work in hotel so the guy told him about Dylan. So I spent some time chatting with this couple and moved on. I gave suggestion to this Greek boss guy to create Dylan Dog bell with screams, but he didn't exactly liked the idea. He was thinking more like to create one room as Dylan museum, but he ain't really gonna do that either. Oh well.

London have nice little museum at Baker Street but is not even aware of Craven Road... nice street though, I actually managed to fail to find it on foot first time I tried.
Anyway, check it out.

Last edited by marko river; 19-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 27-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #45
Capo
Unconventional member

Every italian who goes to London take a picture in Craven Road

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #46
Ignatus

To get sound you need to run NEWMIDIL.EXE before the main executable (MAIN1.EXE for the first part or MAIN2.EXE for the second part)